Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 02:13 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I know a little about it, but no, quantum physics do not explain that.
Many physicists disagree with you. It is because of quantum theory that it has been proposed that quantum fluctuations in the unstable vacuum state which is actually filled with quantum virtual particles constantly being created in matter/anti-matter pairs which instantly destroy each other, could result in the universe being created from 'nothing'. But because the quantum realm is a realm of uncertainties and probabilities, it is possible that a quantum fluctuation could expand (the big bang) and result in our universe.

If you don't believe me you can listen on YouTube to the physicists themselves. Not that they all agree, but you can get educated on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 03:00 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Many physicists disagree with you. It is because of quantum theory that it has been proposed that quantum fluctuations in the unstable vacuum state which is actually filled with quantum virtual particles constantly being created in matter/anti-matter pairs which instantly destroy each other, could result in the universe being created from 'nothing'. But because the quantum realm is a realm of uncertainties and probabilities, it is possible that a quantum fluctuation could expand (the big bang) and result in our universe.

If you don't believe me you can listen on YouTube to the physicists themselves. Not that they all agree, but you can get educated on the matter.
One man's magic is another man's science.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
One man's magic is another man's science.
I suppose you mean something by that.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:08 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Maybe not, Perhaps it is a dust component to the Solar System that we haven't yet directly detected: tiny particles of dust and ice from a population of comets traveling inwards from the dark reaches of the Solar System, reflecting sunlight and generating a diffuse, global glow.

Perhaps we do not have the data or technology yet to fully explain it.

I don't think it is God because I don't think that there is any such thing. But Hubble observations are showing that what we thought we knew about the universe was occasionally off and in that, only a small portion of data

Maybe a Sasquatch? Klingons? Tribbles ?

Quote:
I suppose you mean something by that.

I think he means that it is probably a sasquatch......at least that is what they said on the History Channel.... Now I know that you may be disappointed that it is not a space mermaid, but hey,
therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
(Hamlet )

Science has always fascinated me. When I was 12 I woke up on Christmas morning to find a beautiful 4.5" reflecting telescope waiting for me. Over the years, I wore that thing out. And I thought that what I had learned over the years was right there with the articles in Scientific American to which my dad of all people had a subscription.
Now, I look back and realize that I knew very little compared to now, still do compared to what humans will know 50 to 100 years for now. and that is ok When I was younger I wanted to know Everything. Now, I know that I cannot know everything, because for one, no one does, and two, I don't have to know everything to move on in life. And I don't want to anymore.
It would be awful in a way to know everything...wake up with no sense of adventure, nothing to study, learn, or expound upon

Knowing everything would also ruin the unexplained Monsters shows on the Science channel.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I think he means that it is probably a sasquatch......at least that is what they said on the History Channel.... Now I know that you may be disappointed that it is not a space mermaid, but hey,
therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
(Hamlet )
Nah. A space mermaid would be like a fish out of water. But maybe green skinned Orion slave women.
Quote:
Science has always fascinated me. When I was 12 I woke up on Christmas morning to find a beautiful 4.5" reflecting telescope waiting for me. Over the years, I wore that thing out. And I thought that what I had learned over the years was right there with the articles in Scientific American to which my dad of all people had a subscription.
Now, I look back and realize that I knew very little compared to now, still do compared to what humans will know 50 to 100 years for now. and that is ok When I was younger I wanted to know Everything. Now, I know that I cannot know everything, because for one, no one does, and two, I don't have to know everything to move on in life. And I don't want to anymore.
It would be awful in a way to know everything...wake up with no sense of adventure, nothing to study, learn, or expound upon

Knowing everything would also ruin the unexplained Monsters shows on the Science channel.
It would be rather boring if you knew everything there is to know about everything. The acquisition of knowledge is a worthwhile quest. But for the quest to come to an end . . .well, you could always break out the booze I suppose.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:58 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,565,777 times
Quote:

I love my “limited” study of quantum physics— But then what created the “nothingness” possibility?

Last edited by mountainrose; 12-20-2022 at 05:11 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 05:08 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,565,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I don't think it's God - but that's because I think sometimes we think too literally of God in "heaven" and us considering the sky the "heavens".

That is probably waaaaay too existential for me to try to explain, especially on a Friday at 4pm, but there it is.
Not too existential at all!
There’s a difference here in the posters who write God as a “he/him” and those that only use the word GOD or it as an attribute — since they don’t experience God as a gendered human “father” sitting up isolated in the heavens.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I love my “limited” study of quantum physics— But then what created the “nothingness” possibility?
Something, whether it be God or some form of energy had to have always existed without having come into existence because if ever there had been a state or condition of absolute nothingness then nothing could have begun to exist. Remember that in physics 'nothing' doesn't mean an absolute 'nothing' but rather an unstable vacuum seething with virtual particles.

How it is that anything, be it God or some kind of energy has eternally existed without having been caused to exist is indeed a mystery but it is what it is.

So . . .something, or someone (God), either one, caused the big bang and may be causing an infinite number of big bangs (multiverse). But that something itself had no cause, no beginning. It simply was. So while I believe that God exists, it is just as possible that our universe came to be without God. That's how I see it.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:21 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
It's easier to believe in an infinite, eternal Creator than an infinite, eternal universe without a creator.
No, the other way round. An eternal something is a logical necessity (either an eternal something or absolutely nothing), whereas an intelligent creator needs explaining. How does this creator think, what is it made of, how does it just know things, and how do you know the answers you will now assert?

Old 12-20-2022, 10:23 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
What is amazing is that everyone will be happy to say "I don't know"...but they WON'T consider a divine cause.
We will consider a divine cause, as soon as you provide evidence for your assertions.

Quote:
They do this with other things when the most reasonable solution IS a creator.
The most improbable is a creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality