Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 04:43 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
Whatever all this means, if anything, it still has nothing to do with the subject of this discussion, which is, at least from the point I got involved, the origin of the Universe.
Naturalistic cause vs divine cause.

Naturalistic cause hypothesis is perfectly real (meaning all its components and processes are confirmed to be part of reality) and backed up with solid science.
Divine cause hypothesis is completely made up joke.
It is a well written god of the gaps argument that simply dismisses over 2000 years of scientific conclusion as a hypothesis while pretending you are the ignorant one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 04:51 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You DENY that whatever this universe IS that it is our Creator???? What the hell IS our Creator, then???
Can you take this tedious question begging argument (that excludes most gods from being gods) to the relevant thread. I have heard this so often, I have to go to the bathroom to check in the mirror to see if I have palm prints on my forehead.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:21 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
No need to get pedantic. The creator is obvious - that which is the source of our existence and the existence of everything else..
It's not obvious to those of us who don't believe it, or to those who see some other creator god.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:34 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's not obvious to those of us who don't believe it, or to those who see some other creator god.
Agreed! It is far from obvious. If it was 99 percent of the discussions in this forum would be redundant.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:05 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It must be something seen via the Hubble telescope. It must be since that's what we're discussing.
Quote:
I agree! That is exactly what it is! I call it God, YMMV!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There is a thread for you to post about that all you want. Please don't derail this one.
This is just unreasoning bias. Someone besides me already said the light is God without rebuke. All MY view does is ELIMINATE the question of God's EXISTENCE. It does nothing to the questions about the specific beliefs about God that exist in the myriad religions (or lack thereof).

Please stop harassing me because MY BELIEFS about God avoid the EXISTENCE question and differ from the ones you want to deny by bringing up the non-EXISTENCE of God. Otherwise, my BELIEFS should have the same rights of expression here as all the other unconfirmed (and unconfirmable) BELIEFS about God, IMO!

Old 12-22-2022, 01:39 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Agreed! It is far from obvious. If it was 99 percent of the discussions in this forum would be redundant.
They would only be redundant because you want to INSIST that God does NOT EXIST when what you object to are the BELIEFS ABOUT God, not God's existence.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:24 PM

477 posts, read 124,571 times
Quote:
They would only be redundant because you want to INSIST that God does NOT EXIST when what you object to are the BELIEFS ABOUT God, not God's existence.
God's actual, objective existence and your subjective ideas about god and its existence are two completely different things and have nothing to do with each other.

It is 100% true that god exists as an image/concept/idea in human brains (yours included).
So far any claim you are trying to make that god exists objectively, outside of your brain is a wasted effort. Claim like this will be ignored by any rational person b/c it is not supported by good evidence.

If you are interested in what would be considered as good evidence just ask. Who knows, maybe you can come up with some.

Otherwise, keep on looking foolish and getting ignored.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:25 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
This is just unreasoning bias. Someone besides me already said the light is God without rebuke. All MY view does is ELIMINATE the question of God's EXISTENCE. It does nothing to the questions about the specific beliefs about God that exist in the myriad religions (or lack thereof).

Please stop harassing me because MY BELIEFS about God avoid the EXISTENCE question and differ from the ones you want to deny by bringing up the non-EXISTENCE of God. Otherwise, my BELIEFS should have the same rights of expression here as all the other unconfirmed (and unconfirmable) BELIEFS about God, IMO!
Take it to the pantheism thread or I will take moderator action. That issue is not the topic of this thread.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
I'm not an Atheist. Nor do I insist on anything. Perhaps god should have told you this! As a matter of fact I insist the least in here lol.. I don't insist there is a god and I don't insist there isn't. If god was obvious yes these discussions would be redundant. Example, the 'mysterious light' that hubble found would simply be a part of gods creation because we would all know he exists and created them. As a matter of fact, if god was obvious we probably wouldn't even have Hubble - there'd be no mystery or discovery or exploration - we'd simply be living with god.

Old 01-01-2023, 01:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think it's God.
Thank you for admitting your god-thing has severe limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What is amazing is that everyone will be happy to say "I don't know"...but they WON'T consider a divine cause.
A divine cause is not warranted.

It was just discovered.

I can think of many non-god possibilities for the existence of that phenomena.

It is most unfortunate that physics and other sciences are not required in order to get a high school diploma and what sciences courses are taught are dumbed-down to below Kindergarten level.

Our Solar System is bounded by the Oort Cloud as well as many objects too small to be seen with current technology and also by dust and gases.

It doesn't take a big brain to figure out that fission fragments, protons, neutrons, electrons, neutrinos and other particles, soft and hard gammas, soft and hard x-rays, UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C ejected by stars outside of our Solar System pass through this area bounding our Solar System.

Gases excited by the interaction of the aforementioned named particles cause light to be given off.

Right?

That is how artificial lighting on this planet works. You know, Neon? Run particles through Neon and it gives off light just like the Argon in incandescent bulbs, and Halides in your headlights.

There are many minerals on Earth that are naturally luminescent. All you need is a little energy in the form of particles to get them to glow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality