Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:04 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,523,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"feeding the soul" is not the same as "enjoying life"
nor is "feeding the soul" the same as "making life meaningful" [put forth in the opening post]
No argument or point in arguing, but at least a few of us feel that regardless what most religious people describe as "feeding the soul" or believe it to be, we all share similar sensations and experiences that amount to essentially the same thing. The same feelings and emotions that we all just interpret and explain to ourselves somewhat differently is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 10:04 AM

21,897 posts, read 19,043,939 times
in the same way that "feeding the body" is not the same as "feeding the intellect" or "feeding the emotions."
so too, feeding the soul is not the same as any of those also.

they are each distinct:
nourishing our physical body, nourishing our mental intellect, nourishing our emotions heart and feelings, nourishing our soul.

ignore or starve any of these, and a person is adversely affected, and does not blossom fully, as when they are each nourished.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No argument or point in arguing, but at least a few of us feel that regardless what most religious people describe as "feeding the soul" or believe it to be, we all share similar sensations and experiences that amount to essentially the same thing. The same feelings and emotions that we all just interpret and explain to ourselves somewhat differently is all.
feelings and emotions are also not the same as the soul.

nor are sensations and experiences the same as the soul.

so no, it is not "essentially the same thing."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-11-2022 at 10:24 AM..

Old 12-11-2022, 10:33 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,523,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
feelings and emotions are also not the same as the soul.
Time for me to move along now, so I'll sign off by simply stating the obvious for both of us. You believe in something you are calling the soul, that I don't believe in. We both know this. There is no reconciling that significant difference, so why bother trying?

Instead I would just suggest that all you would like to describe as being "ignored or starved" is nothing of the sort. People who do not believe the same things you do are not necessarily any less "fully blossomed" or striving to be any less fully blossomed than you are. We all find the nourishment we need in whatever ways we believe are true, meaningful and adequate, best as we are able. In whatever ways our minds tell us we should.

Not everyone is as successful at achieving their goals along these lines of course, and if you're satisfied, good for you. Me too. We are no doubt doing our best in any case. Ultimately that's the best we can and should hope for everyone. I'd just be careful if I were you to suggest you have any "leg up" when it comes to achieving enlightenment along these lines. When it comes to what we're all striving to achieve in the way of life goals that matter to each of us as individuals. Different though they may be.

Accordingly, cheers and a very good Sunday to you and yours as well. However you think best to spend it and no matter what you choose to believe when it comes to being "fully blossomed."

Old 12-11-2022, 10:43 AM

it is accurate to say that "you do not believe in the soul."

it is not accurate to say that the soul is "the same thing as " and " just a different explanation for" emotions, feelings, sensations, experiences.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:58 AM

1,440 posts, read 465,633 times
The Satan/serpent claimed to be feeding the soul, while dismissing God's word and seeking a disconnect from God's word. Claiming his word to be followed above all. The Satan/serpent claimed that she would not die in following his word, while at the same time proclaiming Death to God's word. Claiming his word to be first light and the portal to eternity.

God turned the man and womans focus to the birth of a child. The Satan/ serpent brought about the time of Death. The time of Birth is greater, as it is shared and given from God's first spoken word, first Light, the womb of the dawn.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:52 AM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The question is ... connect with who or what. Theists will argue that our souls long for god, but I think we just long to be seen, heard, understood, cared for. To whatever extent I have ever experienced those feelings, they have come from other human beings. And I don't just mean one's life partner or immediate or extended families. It can come in much smaller and diffuse, prosaic forms in incidental everyday interactions with humans you don't even know. After my wife died, I lived alone for a couple of years and I found that just getting out among people, even briefly once a day, made all the difference for me. The next person of course might feel lonely in crowds; they had the opposite effect on me. Everyone's different.

My main point is that it doesn't add any understanding to substitute "my soul" for "me" or assume "with god" as the object of connection. We just need connection, that's the simple way to put it, without lacing it with assumptions.
Your not a big metaphor guy I am guessing.

The Bible says much of what you did. People get themselves hung up on getting saved which makes them judge which moves them off the real message in the Bible IMO.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:52 PM

497 posts, read 227,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Lalalalala...starting again.. So anything that makes my heart swell to me is feeding the soul. Big one to me
is kindness to others (esp, when you'd rather not, hahahahaLOL!)
BUT, also, flip side standing up for what's right.
Very good for the soul and the UNIVERSE!)
Yes! I little while back I had started exploring what is called “hearth craft” or “kitchen witchery.” I’m not much interested in spells or anything like that, but I had a real soul-feeding experience recently. I had brought in the Halloween pumpkins and wanted to make use of them while they were edible. The whole process of cutting and roasting the pumpkins; pureeing they in the food processor and ladling the contents into containers; thinking about what I would make with it; separating the seeds and then seasoning and roasting them… connecting with the Earth and appreciating her bounty instead of wasting it. It sounds corny, but it felt like what people describe feeling after a religious service.

Old 12-11-2022, 09:37 PM

19,760 posts, read 13,292,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Your not a big metaphor guy I am guessing.

The Bible says much of what you did. People get themselves hung up on getting saved which makes them judge which moves them off the real message in the Bible IMO.
No your metaphor wasn't lost on me and I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was speaking of how Christians twist everything up -- what your metaphor becomes in their hands.

Old 12-11-2022, 09:44 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No your metaphor wasn't lost on me and I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was speaking of how Christians twist everything up -- what your metaphor becomes in their hands.
I think God is a metaphor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality