Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 12:18 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

I read this article that I found interesting for a few reasons, and after reading it, I got to thinking that I too would enjoy that sort of sharing with others around a camp fire or in the garden or whatever, but for me it wouldn't help to bring beliefs about God or spirituality into the mix. Also got to thinking about what I would call that thing often referred to as the soul, and how to "feed" it.

Whether religious or not, I am also curious what others might otherwise call the soul if they don't believe in souls as typically described by religious people. What is it we're feeding if not a soul? Best I can do is to call it the interest in making my life as meaningful as possible, interesting and enjoyable too.

What might you suggest?

Here's the read for more of what is interesting to consider along these lines...

"As attendance dips, churches change to stay relevant for a new wave of worshippers"

"It's how we were created. We need food, we need shelter, we need clothing, and we also have to feed our souls in some way," she continues. "And so I think there's this challenge of, OK, we've been doing it like this for so long, and it's just not working for people in a way that meets them in a holistic way."

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/10/11410...-of-worshipper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 12:41 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
I find that good music which for me is smooth jazz, chill and lounge music, 'feeds my soul.' At least it has a very powerful effect in a good way on my nervous system. Getting out into nature is another good way. Helping others when you can can be an enriching experience.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:02 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I find that good music which for me is smooth jazz, chill and lounge music, 'feeds my soul.' At least it has a very powerful effect in a good way on my nervous system. Getting out into nature is another good way. Helping others when you can can be an enriching experience.
I listen to listen to sax lounge music every night when I fall asleep. It's so soothing! Yes, that definitely feeds my soul, as does going out in nature. Good suggestions, Michael.

Last edited by trobesmom; 12-10-2022 at 02:31 PM..

Old 12-10-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I listen to sax lounge music every night when I fall asleep. It's so soothing! Yes, that definitely feeds my soul, as does going out in nature. Good suggestions, Michael.
Thank you. Sometimes I don't think I could make it through the day without some good music to energize me. And it is a great way to slip off into a good night's sleep.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:45 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I loved that article LM. People we're feeding their souls with: human connection, music, working the land, helping people in need them another group with yoga and breath. It didn't sound to me like there was much lecturing going on.

https://youtu.be/1ltoAcZrjBw

Old 12-10-2022, 03:48 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Thank you. Sometimes I don't think I could make it through the day without some good music to energize me. And it is a great way to slip off into a good night's sleep.
Same here! I've been listening to harp music this week at night. It's a great sleeping aid.

I've been feeding my soul for the last several hours with Christmas music. I'm especially loving Andrea Bocelli and family this year.

A Bocelli Family Christmas

Old 12-10-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Same here! I've been listening to harp music this week at night. It's a great sleeping aid.

I've been feeding my soul for the last several hours with Christmas music. I'm especially loving Andrea Bocelli and family this year.

A Bocelli Family Christmas

Old 12-10-2022, 04:12 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Actually, the best way is to stop sinning the best way you know and keep doing that and repent to God ...... Forgive your enemies and try to be kind in a dark world ..... When you keep that up, God will see that you are sincere. Then God will give you a soul and heal your spirit and bless your life ...... Some people can hear a song and get into the groove, but their spirit could still be wicked as before ... Even God said that God rejected their worship in song in the bible because it was still filled with wickedness after

Old 12-10-2022, 04:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Just adding - I think it's easy to replace soul with heart...that's just me.

(Why was sinning and wicked brought up...let's drop that right now like a lead balloon.)

Old 12-10-2022, 04:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Lalalalala...starting again.. So anything that makes my heart swell to me is feeding the soul. Big one to me
is kindness to others (esp, when you'd rather not, hahahahaLOL!)
BUT, also, flip side standing up for what's right.
Very good for the soul and the UNIVERSE!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality