Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 05:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

Why not! We change our clocks for human convenience...
We change our school openings and closings...
why not change Christmas for saving lives and keeping our airlines in business?
This Christmas travel obsession is killing people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 05:45 PM

463 posts, read 284,917 times
We have been hammered for 2 days now with blowing snow and all roads are closed until further notice. Putting Xmas off for a couple of days.
My wife mentioned to her sister that Xmas should be in the spring as it seems that's when Jesus was actually born....Boy, did she get a blast.....lol

Old 12-24-2022, 05:57 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
So much gauzy tradition and sentimentality has grown up around Christmas in winter that I doubt you could get very many people on the same page with a different time of year. The fundamentalists would just see it as another skirmish in their imagined War on Christmas, conservatives in general would decry it as change, which is never a Good Thing to them, and it would be stillborn.

It doesn't matter to me, it is just not much more than a special dinner meal and watching a classic movie together anymore. And my doctors would love it if I dispensed with the meal, I'm sure.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:16 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Agreed!

But big money is involved. I’d be surprised if corporate America and their powerful political influence will let that happen.
Without Christmas, this would be THE SLOWEST season of the year for big businesses. But they turned it into the most profitable season of the year. I don’t think they are going back.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:50 PM

424 posts, read 159,632 times
Blame the early church fathers for centering the church calendar symbolically around the seasons.

I hate to tell you, but I think even if they hadn't, we'd still have something in Christmas's place, because winter solstice traditions are widespread throughout human history, and so many of Christmas's traditions are adapted from ancient winter solstice traditions. Ultimately, the holiday is tied more to the winter solstice than anything else.

You could try to move what we call "Christmas", but I'm pretty sure we'd just form something similar in its place. I know I would. I'm not even Christian, and I celebrate Christmas as a celebration of winter, my favorite season. Thus, if you tried to move it to the Spring or whatever, I'd reject that and keep on celebrating with the solstice. I don't celebrate any Spring holidays because I don't like Spring, anyone trying to move my favorite holiday to Spring can buzz off. =P

Old 12-25-2022, 06:10 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Agreed!

But big money is involved. I’d be surprised if corporate America and their powerful political influence will let that happen.
Without Christmas, this would be THE SLOWEST season of the year for big businesses. But they turned it into the most profitable season of the year. I don’t think they are going back.
That is a great point; aside from tradition and habituation, Christmas provides a "reason" to spend lots of $ that wouldn't otherwise exist. And the system is getting desperate as it collapses under its own weight, so it is even less likely to want to keep retail in the winter doldrums.

Old 12-25-2022, 06:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
You've probably read this before:

''The birth of Jesus was in mid-summer rather than winter of solstices which was the invention of the Pagans to worship “SUN” being born (raised) on 25th December,
as they worship Sun so they thought that Sun has died on 23rd December because of shortest day, suddenly when sun was lifted up on 25th December they overjoyed
and believed that the “SUN” has born on 25th of December and from that day this cult was entered.''

Old 12-25-2022, 08:06 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Actually, the Solstice is on the 21st, Miss Hep. Some of us do mark that day, too, ya know.

But Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2022, 08:44 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
As a former retail person I always felt that Christmas should be assigned to the letter of your last name. There are 26 letters to the alphabet. So just have two or three "letters" celebrate Christmas each month. December was a nightmare doing retail in terms of the work. But a huge portion of your yearly sales came from that month.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:05 AM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ha! We can always think like this... it's Christmas Every Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoMp...27SLYRICVIDEOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality