Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 09:43 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes I always thought so and I'm sure some Christians agree with your statement but I have heard this theological argument advanced about climate change, mainly by Biblical literalists with a pre-tribulationist eschatology.

Answers in Genesis takes this view:

They go on to mention that god promises that the seasons will continue: "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease (Genesis 8:22)." -- although this verse says nothing about how violent or record-breaking those seasons will or won't be.
Scripture certainly leaves room--and makes some suggestion--that Man can have turned the world into a cesspool before Christ's return, even though, geophysically speaking, seasons still occur.

Quote:
In fairness they do caution that Christians should take the same delight in creation that god does, that there is a "balance between god's sovereignty and man's responsibility" and they do mention stewardship responsibility -- but also they fret that Christians should not "live in fear" because of climate change or anything else. Which is really precious, because they try to frighten people withe THEIR predictions but don't want to be frightened by some scientist pointing to actual trends!
As I mentioned, what Christians should fear, and fear terribly, isn't so much the absolute state Christ will find the world, but the decrease from the state of the world which He originally placed in Man's care. The difference from Eden to that day is what Man will be held accountable for.

" But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers." -- Luke 12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 04:58 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How convenient -- sort of like 'god works in mysterious ways'.
I think that all of us can hopefully acknowledge that human knowledge has its limits. Even with continued scientific research and improved knowledge, there are things that we humans don’t know. That’s the principle.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:43 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Nope, God is all-powerful. God created EVERYTHING (and I don’t mean “created in six days as described in Genesis”); I mean that God did make EVERYTHING, including the laws of science, the laws of evolution, scientists, science and human brainpower and ingenuity. So while global warming is happening, and people are to blame for it, if we understand the entire universe as made by God and under God’s control, people’s responsibility for global warming is not inconsistent with God’s power.

The fact that the entire universe is made and under the watch of God, who loves each one of us immensely, and whose love will prevail in the end, is certainly reassuring in a scary time.
And your evidence for this ultimate insurance scam is ... ?

Old 12-12-2022, 06:44 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
God can and will eliminate every evil, every disease and every suffering. On God’s time, not ours.
Thank goodness you somehow know the mind and power of your god.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:55 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
God can and will eliminate every evil, every disease and every suffering. On God’s time, not ours.
As Bill Mahar once said "well, what's he waiting for?"

It just seems interesting how "God's time" seems to go hand in hand with man's scientific advancement on these matters.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times
In my church, we never condemn or disparage people who aren’t Christian; we have numerous inter-faith events with Muslims and Jews, whom we cherish. And our pastors tell us to love atheists and agnostics the same as anyone else. I don’t think that denigrating each other is helpful.

For people who doubt God’s existence, I’ll start by offering that it’s normal to have doubts.

Last edited by GSPNative; 12-12-2022 at 07:29 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 08:41 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
I think that all of us can hopefully acknowledge that human knowledge has its limits. Even with continued scientific research and improved knowledge, there are things that we humans don’t know. That’s the principle.
No, the principle is whether one operates based on principles, rather than changing one's place of perspective when it suits them.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
In my church, we never condemn or disparage people who aren’t Christian; we have numerous inter-faith events with Muslims and Jews, whom we cherish. And our pastors tell us to love atheists and agnostics the same as anyone else. I don’t think that denigrating each other is helpful.

For people who doubt God’s existence, I’ll start by offering that it’s normal to have doubts.
I doubt I'll get an honest answer, but...

You don't condemn or disparage people who aren't christian. Okay, fine. And at the end of their lives, as nonbelievers, where will they go? (All this question requires in terms of a response is one word, not an evasion).

Old 12-12-2022, 08:44 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As Bill Mahar once said "well, what's he waiting for?"

It just seems interesting how "God's time" seems to go hand in hand with man's scientific advancement on these matters.

Before the sin, God said to the man and woman; Be fruitful and multiply. After the flood God said the same thing to Noah, and then God said it to Abraham.

The sin in the Garden doesn't stop God from fulfilling His word, and Paul speaks of these things in Romans 11.

When Death is swallowed up in victory, eternity is filled with birthed Life in all together goodness. Time is created for the time of birth.

And at that time, as the fallen Angels who rebelled against the time of Birth that God shared from His first spoken word are cast out from the presence of God's eternal Living Light. God's House is full of Life in all together goodness, as God shared from His first spoken words forward. And that birthright belongs to the Firstborn and Heir of all God's creation.

In the Satan serpents beguiling thieving lie, he claimed his word to be first light and eternal life, while claiming and assuming a good judgement upon himself and an evil and Death judgement upon God and God's word in entirety. Claiming a birthright in following his word, over and against God's word. When God spoke and shared true first light, God spoke the judgement of all together goodness in presence.

When Abraham went up that mountain with Isaac, it was mediated by God's Angels and at that time God swore by himself to fulfill all that He had promised Abraham.

Concerning the atmosphere climate. Lies, thievery, word manipulation and word pollution effect the atmosphere over society. Just as Adam went from the cool of the day, to the sweat of the brow.

I prefer to endure this mortal realm filled with good and evil mixed together looking to the One True God and the Life He shares. If people choose to deny God and to seek and place all their wealth and stock in this mortal life, then that is their choice. Abraham knew better when he followed Gods word and went up that mountain with Isaac, and God shared the greater heritage and inheritance beyond Death with him there. Just as after the High Priest King of Salem blessed Abram, he denied what the King of Sodom offered him.

Last edited by chief scum; 12-12-2022 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-12-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Before the sin, God said to the man and woman; Be fruitful and multiply. After the flood God said the same thing to Noah, and then God said it to Abraham.

The sin in the Garden doesn't stop God from fulfilling His word, and Paul speaks of these things in Romans 11.

When Death is swallowed up in victory, eternity is filled with birthed Life in all together goodness. Time is created for the time of birth.

And at that time, as the fallen Angels who rebelled against the time of Birth that God shared from His first spoken word are cast out from the presence of God's eternal Living Light. God's House is full of Life in all together goodness, as God shared from His first spoken words forward. And that birthright belongs to the Firstborn and Heir of all God's creation.

In the Satan serpents beguiling thieving lie, he claimed his word to be first light and eternal life, while claiming and assuming a good judgement upon himself and an evil and Death judgement upon God and God's word in entirety. Claiming a birthright in following his word, over and against God's word. When God spoke and shared true first light, God spoke the judgement of all together goodness in presence.

When Abraham went up that mountain with Isaac, it was mediated by God's Angels and at that time God swore by himself to fulfill all the He had promised Abraham.

Concerning the atmosphere climate. Lies, thievery, word manipulation and word pollution effect the atmosphere over society. Just as Adam went from the cool of the day, to the sweat of the brow.

I prefer to endure this mortal realm filled with good and evil mixed together looking to the One True God and the Life He shares. If people choose to deny God and to seek and place all their wealth and stock in this mortal life, then that is their choice. Abraham knew better when he followed Gods word and went up that mountain with Isaac, and God shared the greater heritage and inheritance beyond Death with him there. Just as after the High Priest King of Salem blessed Abram, he denied what the King of Sodom offered him.
Thank you for what is, essentially, a book report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality