Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eye color of Jesus
Blue 6 18.75%
Brown 19 59.38%
Green 2 6.25%
other 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 07:56 AM

1,731 posts, read 733,113 times

Advertisements

When Jesus walked the earth in flesh there were no cameras so when his word spread different groups of people tried to find meaning and relate to him. We all want to see ourselves in Jesus. The problem is that some make that physical instead of spiritual. We don't need to look like Jesus, we need to love and serve like Jesus.

To some...Jesus was tall, long straight brown hair, with blue eyes, and fit....this hunk Jesus might appeal more to northern Europe...

...to others Jesus was black with wooly hair....this might appeal more to people in Africa.

The honest truth is that Jesus likely looked like the people of Israel region do today.

Speaking of blue eyes...which are slightly rare...both my husband and I and our 2 children have them...and my parents and my brother...what are the odds of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 03:07 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,298,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And he coulda worn color-changing contacts for all we know!
LOL. You're so funny. In the old day, there were no contact lens, not to mention colour-changing ones. Like your sense of humour and your posts though. Cannot stop laughing.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:31 PM

19,743 posts, read 13,278,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
In the old days, there were no contact lens, not to mention colour-changing ones.
But Jesus is god, and god is all powerful, so if he wanted to conjure some contacts he certainly could have.

Old 12-19-2022, 07:52 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
LOL. You're so funny. In the old day, there were no contact lens, not to mention colour-changing ones. Like your sense of humour and your posts though. Cannot stop laughing.
You don't have to go back to very old days!

In 1978, I was in a year-long executive secretarial school course. As part of the curriculum, we had a class in Advertising. There was a project where we had to break into small groups, and we had to come up with a product and create an advertising plan for it.

My group's idea? Contact lenses that changed the colour of your eyes. When they came out years later, I wondered if someone in my old school had gone to work for Bausch & Lomb.

Note that yea though I am an American, I'm living in a country where they use the "u" in colour, as you did, so I did, too.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:27 PM

9,313 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
When Jesus walked the earth in flesh there were no cameras so when his word spread different groups of people tried to find meaning and relate to him. We all want to see ourselves in Jesus. The problem is that some make that physical instead of spiritual. We don't need to look like Jesus, we need to love and serve like Jesus.

To some...Jesus was tall, long straight brown hair, with blue eyes, and fit....this hunk Jesus might appeal more to northern Europe...

...to others Jesus was black with wooly hair....this might appeal more to people in Africa.

The honest truth is that Jesus likely looked like the people of Israel region do today.

Speaking of blue eyes...which are slightly rare...both my husband and I and our 2 children have them...and my parents and my brother...what are the odds of that!
Yes, if Jesus existed, he probably resembled what he was: a Levantine Mizrahi Jew. That not to say he couldn’t have had blue eyes. It’s not unheard of for people of Levantine background, including Palestinians, Syrians, Jordanians, and Lebanese, to have either or both light hair and eyes. But they’re definitely in the minority, and if Jesus had blue eyes, they presumably would have been commented on as a fairly distinct physical feature (like King David’s red hair and ruddy complexion).

And your blue-eyed family background isn’t that unusual. 93% of (non-Jewish) Europeans carry at least one of the variants associated with blue and green eyes. So do 83% of Ashkenazi Jews, as do 45% of Middle Easterners. My son is the fourth straight generation to have blue eyes in his direct paternal line, and his having anything but blue eyes would have been incredibly unusual, since my wife also has blue eyes (although it’s not impossible). Even African-Americans (specifically meaning Black descendants of slaves who have around 20% European ancestry on average) have a 38% chance of carrying one of the variants.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-23-2022 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 06:15 PM

17,632 posts, read 13,448,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
When Jesus walked the earth in flesh there were no cameras so when his word spread different groups of people tried to find meaning and relate to him. We all want to see ourselves in Jesus. The

It's extremely rare for two blue eyed people to produce offspring that do not have blue eyes. it does happen on occasion.... but more than likely it was the mailman.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:37 PM

427 posts, read 124,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's fine. But it's not fine that many christians have westernized a Middle Eastern figure.

The "westernization" of Jesus is not a deliberate campaign to appropriate a Middle Eastern faith. The appeal of Christ's teaching come from its unique moral philosophy that has shaped traditional western culture. Leonardo Da Vinci was influential in his depiction of the Savior dressed in western garb. Hollywood blockbuster movies casting white blue-eyed American actors contributed to our image of not only Jesus (Jeffrey Hunter) but Moses (Charleston Heston) too.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:54 PM

50,191 posts, read 23,824,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
The "westernization" of Jesus is not a deliberate campaign to appropriate a Middle Eastern faith. The appeal of Christ's teaching come from its unique moral philosophy that has shaped traditional western culture. Leonardo Da Vinci was influential in his depiction of the Savior dressed in western garb. Hollywood blockbuster movies casting white blue-eyed American actors contributed to our image of not only Jesus (Jeffrey Hunter) but Moses (Charleston Heston) too.
It's dishonest. Period. And the reason it was dishonestly done is because some white westerners might not be so quick to join a church with a Jesus who looked like Jesus probably looked.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:26 PM

427 posts, read 124,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's dishonest. Period. And the reason it was dishonestly done is because some white westerners might not be so quick to join a church with a Jesus who looked like Jesus probably looked.

2000 years ago, people generally looked pretty scruffy. Jesus did not brush his teeth like we do. He probably was not dressed like William Dafoe in his role as Jesus in the movie "Passion of the Christ". Life was rough back then. Men neither trim their beards with electric shavers nor bathed using soap and shampoo.

White westerners are drawn to Jesus' teaching.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:33 AM

50,191 posts, read 23,824,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
2000 years ago, people generally looked pretty scruffy. Jesus did not brush his teeth like we do. He probably was not dressed like William Dafoe in his role as Jesus in the movie "Passion of the Christ". Life was rough back then. Men neither trim their beards with electric shavers nor bathed using soap and shampoo.

White westerners are drawn to Jesus' teaching.
I'm not talking about whether he was scruffy or sparkling clean...although I can see a lot of people being turned off to scruffiness, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality