Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 08:05 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Well, OP never came back to clarify why he needs to be in the church with the kids.
Till then we all just can guess ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 08:17 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I am not sure that I agree with this.

The definition of considerate is: "careful not to cause inconvenience or hurt to others."

If I am attending this church service, how am I "inconvenienced" or "hurt" by this person discreetly reading a book? Outside of his wife, I don't really see it.

Your Buddhist event seems to have been entirely based on silence for meditations and chants. Don't some of those places specifically request by sign or spoken word to be silent if you come in to observe? A church sermon is typically full of rustling papers, little kid squirms, sneezes, A/C unit noises....I am not sure that someone discreetly and quietly reading a book would cause harm to anyone. Unless the minister somehow saw it and it took her/his focus off to such a large extent that she/he couldn't do her/his job well, but that seems a stretch.

If it were a meeting house during expectant waiting where all humanly noises are supposed to temporarily cease to try and be moved and connect....I can see how it is inconsiderate to have someone come in with noise blaring from their headphones or even turning pages loudly...but I think that is a different environment than a normal sermon.

Not a bad argument by you and a good story you shared. But...as I pointed out in my first post, some will find offense with it and some will not...so that must be weighed in with whether he does it or not.

I think that would be inconsiderate to come in high and laughing as that would likely cause disruptions and hurt people's ability to hear what was said.

Hands off the wacky tobacky.
There is a time and place for everything. A church has one purpose. A library has a different purpose.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:30 AM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I kind of agree. If he is doing it discreetly....people have to choose to be upset by it. He is there...which supports his wife and his wife wanting kids there.

Maybe ask his wife to be sure its okay...but of all the things to be angry about, someone quietly reading a book probably shouldn't be on the list. We must focus on positive energy in life.

I still think church service should be more about discussion and intellectual engagement than passive sitting until its time to sing.

I use to love the comments at my meeting house when I was young from some of the older women....and there was this old man who didn't speak often, but when he did it was pure genius...even I as a then not bright 14 year old could tell this guy was worth listening to when he would choose to speak.
How is reading not discreet????

Old 12-23-2022, 10:43 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Next time I go to church, I'm bringing the book "Will the Church See Me Reading This?" by Dexter Brainglobe.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:45 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
How is reading not discreet????
Right? In contrast to people on their phones, yawning, nodding off, rolling their eyes, looking around the room, kids kicking their legs, kids on their tablets, kids crying or complaining, the seats uncomfortable, singing off-key, questionable interior design, service content / order, service running too long, constant fumbling between bulletin and Bible, standing vs. sitting, etc.

It's a wonder if anyone ever picks up anything useful at all. Reading a book sounds like a huge plus, whatever it is. May that reader be protected from distractions and churchy rudeness.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-23-2022 at 11:51 AM..

Old 12-23-2022, 11:23 AM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Right? In contrast to people on their phones, yawning, nodding off, rolling their eyes, looking around the room, kids kicking their legs, kids on their tablets, kids crying or complaining, etc.

This is basic churchy religious nonsense. They'll highly support reading if if fits their narrow view, but then turn around 180 degrees opposite and hate it if in a slightly different context.
Ooohhh ohhhh, snoring!!!! Loudly I might ad. About every third week or so I might ad!!!

Old 12-23-2022, 03:10 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Next time I go to church, I'm bringing the book "Will the Church See Me Reading This?" by Dexter Brainglobe.
Lol!

Old 12-23-2022, 08:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Okay. What I'm getting from most of these responses is that 'church' is pretty much a joke and serves nothing worthwhile other than as a yawn fest. I'm not a churchgoer, not right now anyway, but 'church' still seems to me to be a meeting place of like-minded people who believe that love, respect and common decency and the worship of 'a deity' is still a virtue worth upholding.

I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination but the levity that I'm seeing on this thread kind of surprises me. Someone who originally volunteered to go to church with the kids but is not adult enough to sit through an hour's service without having to resort to reading a book is fast becoming the hero of this thread.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:18 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Someone who originally volunteered to go to church with the kids but is not adult enough to sit through an hour's service without having to resort to reading a book is fast becoming the hero of this thread.
I don't think anyone is lionizing it. Even those who don't see anything technically wrong with it, aren't entirely comfortable. If he's sitting with his kids I'm actually more concerned about what he's modeling for them, or what they are likely to perceive from it. As someone else here said, there's a time and place for everything. I never allowed my children to act out in restaurants, I didn't take them there until they were old enough to be under control. I see church as a similar setting, only quieter. If he's checked out and they're behaving anyway then good for them, but I wonder if they should be effecting ennui in that setting. They can be curious and attentive. So can Dad.

I was not aware people are using smart phones to follow along in their Bible. Plausible deniability I guess, making that acceptable behavior. Books -- not so much, unless you keep whatever you're reading in a hollowed out Bible for camouflage.

I long since solved this problem by not going. But I assume his wife is a paid outside musician (anymore these days, the probability that some random person in the congregation knows how to play an organ, particularly one of any size, are practically nil). He is risking not only offending other attendees but jeopardizing his wife's employment, if the pastor or board members take umbrage to it. SHOULD they? Not in my view, so long as he's not disruptive and is actually keeping the children quiet. But even at a subconscious level it's apt to bother people who matter to his wife. I just wouldn't risk it.

So no, not a "hero", just not a zero, either, really.

Old 12-24-2022, 05:00 PM

15,842 posts, read 6,308,360 times
https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Art...2-4104804?th=1

Incognito
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality