Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 12:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have things others don't have, and I am aware and grateful for them. That has nothing to do with it. So do atheists have or not have those things. By the way, my dad lost two limbs at 23, and he was a devout Christian man, so that has nothing to do with it, either.

I am on a religion board because I am 64 years old and have been chasing down what God Is Love is supposed to mean all my friggin' life, trying to understand what the hell everybody gets to see and feel that has always been out of my grasp*. Like Bono said, I've sought God/Christ up down and sideways, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. He's a few years younger and hasn't quite given up yet, lol, but I think I am done. This last divine knife in the heart, which was presented to me as bread and turned out to be stone, if you get the biblical reference, has done me in.

*Anyway, that's why I started coming to this subforum. Now I am here because five years ago I was asked to be a mod on R&S.
I understand. I hear you. Thanks for the background and being able to get to know you. And for answering my questions.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:50 PM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Again, it is a question asked by all but the most die-hard, devout Christians. The question may be valid even though we all know there is no satisfactory answer, but what is behind your obsession with asking the question over and over again?
Behind it is not being willing to get a non-answer from people who pretend they want to have an open discussion.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Behind it is not being willing to get a non-answer from people who pretend they want to have an open discussion.
Then if you know you will not get an answer that satisfies you, why do you keep asking? What is the goal?

What makes you think none of us here have asked ourselves the same questions, perhaps many times, and have drawn our own conclusions?

Are you certain an open discussion is what you want? Or are you hoping to convince people to think like you do? If so, why?

Old 02-19-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
What if He isn't actually all-powerful? What if He's limited?

That's something I rarely see brought up. But it's possible, isn't it?
Oh, that's been brought up and pretty much dismissed. The bible god can't be not all-powerful. Or maybe he's not the bible god, but if you can create the universe and life...well, that seems pretty all-powerful to me.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:57 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
That's not quite what I meant.

As much as most of us would want to *protect* our children from ANY kind of harm, sometimes it's more "loving" to allow them to make -- and learn from -- their own mistakes.

Perhaps one purpose of suffering is that we try to find meaning in it...

...and not to simply see it as something that only a "mean, evil God" would allow.
No, I did not mean to imply that you personally said that. It's just a common perspective among some Christians. We should not concern ourselves with whatever happens in life because for Christians, it will be great when we are dead. Not in those exact words, of course! My paraphrasing.

But truth, have heard it many times in real life and of course here on the forum.

As for the rest of what you wrote, there is nothing new there that I haven't heard before. You understand that, don't you? Yes, God could be having us learn from our mistakes like human parents. Or doing what is best for us even if we don't realize it. Mysterious ways. And so forth. C'mon, surely by now you know I've had to have heard all this before and maybe even said it to others myself! I know all the platitudes. What could you possibly say to someone like me that I haven't heard before?

What's missing is the balance. I AM a mother. The parent may guide and teach, but they also love and they make damn sure their child knows they are loved because they show it, and no, before you go there, "but but but He stretched out his arms and DIED for you" doesn't cut it. I know that one, too. Was quite popular on plaques in the Christian bookstores for a time, right along with the treacly "Footprints in the Sand", a big seller.

If the Christian God is what God is claimed to be, he/she/it has the power not just to teach or punish or even provide, but also to make it plain to his children that they are loved and cherished. That is what has always been missing. If you do not get to feel loved, what good is it? What is to be gained by withholding evidence of your love from your child?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-19-2023 at 01:14 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 12:59 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Well, if you've been paying attention, of late my mantra has been God doesn't exist, or he is a jerk. I am choosing to go with the former. "Doesn't care" is nicer, admittedly.

Oh i was aware of your position. I wasn't sure you were aware of mine.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, that's been brought up and pretty much dismissed. The bible god can't be not all-powerful. Or maybe he's not the bible god, but if you can create the universe and life...well, that seems pretty all-powerful to me.
Why not?

Yes, it seems powerful, for sure.

Is it limitless?

Old 02-19-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I suppose, but in Christianity, that's what we are taught.

Thrill is a deist, so he believes a creator God exists but does not interact or influence human lives. That's another perspective
I could probably buy into that.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
That's not quite what I meant.

As much as most of us would want to *protect* our children from ANY kind of harm, sometimes it's more "loving" to allow them to make -- and learn from -- their own mistakes.

Perhaps one purpose of suffering is that we try to find meaning in it...

...and not to simply see it as something that only a "mean, evil God" would allow.
I don't think any of us are saying that god should protect us from EVERYTHING. But long-term suffering that a person can't do anything about...that's a whole different thing than learning from one's mistakes.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Then if you know you will not get an answer that satisfies you, why do you keep asking? What is the goal?

What makes you think none of us here have asked ourselves the same questions, perhaps many times, and have drawn our own conclusions?

Are you certain an open discussion is what you want? Or are you hoping to convince people to think like you do? If so, why?
1. Maybe someone will have the answer.

2. Maybe someone will learn that they don't have all the answers or that the pat answers are not satisfactory.

3. Maybe someone will learn that there are different perspectives in the world than just the christian perspective.

4. The common Buddhist belief is that proselytizing is not appropriate. If and when a person is ready, the person will come looking for answers. He doesn't need to be poked and prodded into coming to Buddhism. And this is the basic reason I HATE proselytizers who come to the door or approach you in public. There are over 20 churches my small community. Most of them have electronic billboards. We know they're there. We're aware that we would be free to go in. So leave us to hell alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality