Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 01:30 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Door-to-door proselytizing seems to be regional. We don't get much of that in NJ. Very occasionally a couple of JWs. Maybe because we have more Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc., than in other parts of the country. More of a live and let live vibe religion-wise. I'd find that very annoying and wrong.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Maybe someone will have the answer.

2. Maybe someone will learn that they don't have all the answers or that the pat answers are not satisfactory.

3. Maybe someone will learn that there are different perspectives in the world than just the christian perspective.

4. The common Buddhist belief is that proselytizing is not appropriate. If and when a person is ready, the person will come looking for answers. He doesn't need to be poked and prodded into coming to Buddhism. And this is the basic reason I HATE proselytizers who come to the door or approach you in public. There are over 20 churches my small community. Most of them have electronic billboards. We know they're there. We're aware that we would be free to go in. So leave us to hell alone.
Okay...so you're going out of your way to find a religion forum in order to tell the religious to leave you the hell alone?

#1: doesn't seem very genuine. You don't like any of the answers.

#2: everyone knows already that there will be people who find reasons to put down others' answers. Especially the religious know this.

#3: everyone knows there are other viewpoints than Christianity. Especially the religious know this.

#4: refer to my first sentence above.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:52 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Door-to-door proselytizing seems to be regional. We don't get much of that in NJ. Very occasionally a couple of JWs. Maybe because we have more Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc., than in other parts of the country. More of a live and let live vibe religion-wise. I'd find that very annoying and wrong.
But it also happens other ways.

In public squares.
In grocery stores.
In parking lots.
In parks.

At one point when I was principal some christian religious groups pushed for christian clubs in schools. Based on legal considerations, the school system developed some rules:
1. no proselytizing
2. the adult supervisor was there for one purpose -- legal supervision of students
3. the club has to be run entirely by students

I knew that the "adult supervisor" (a born again christian) wouldn't follow the rules...and he didn't. he started running the club and started trying to talk students into joining.

There are lots of ways to proselytize.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Okay...so you're going out of your way to find a religion forum in order to tell the religious to leave you the hell alone?

#1: doesn't seem very genuine. You don't like any of the answers.

#2: everyone knows already that there will be people who find reasons to put down others' answers. Especially the religious know this.

#3: everyone knows there are other viewpoints than Christianity. Especially the religious know this.

#4: refer to my first sentence above.
Actually, yes, although I wouldn't say "out of your way". And it isn't just about me. personally. It's about influencing our societal laws.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Actually, yes, although I wouldn't say "out of your way". And it isn't just about me. personally. It's about influencing our societal laws.
Well, this I agree with. I identify as Christian. But I don't believe anybody else has to.

And I strongly believe in a separation of church and state.

But here's the thing. If that's what you want, for people to leave their beliefs out of law, why don't you just be genuine and say so? Why do you think if only people had no more religious beliefs, you'd be left alone? Isn't that like burning down your house because there's a spider inside? Okay, now you have no house anymore but the new house might have a different spider. Right? Same with trying to convince people their beliefs are stupid. Even if you could accomplish this goal of shaming (?) people into no longer believing in God, someone could easily just try to push other types of beliefs into law.

In which case you have accomplished nothing.

Why not just be honest and say to people: I don't like religion pushed into/influencing laws?

Unless there is more to it and you resent people with beliefs for some other reason and don't want people to have comfort or happiness for some particular reason. Is that an element?

Last edited by JerZ; 02-19-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 02:07 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times
Quote:
No, I did not mean to imply that you personally said that. It's just a common perspective among some Christians. We should not concern ourselves with whatever happens in life because for Christians, it will be great when we are dead. Not in those exact words, of course! My paraphrasing.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

Quote:
But truth, have heard it many times in real life and of course here on the forum.

As for the rest of what you wrote, there is nothing new there that I haven't heard before. You understand that, don't you? Yes, God could be having us learn from our mistakes like human parents. Or doing what is best for us even if we don't realize it. Mysterious ways. And so forth. C'mon, surely by now you know I've had to have heard all this before and maybe even said it to others myself! I know all the platitudes. What could you possibly say to someone like me that I haven't heard before?
Oh, I dunno. Maybe that suffering is 'meritorious'? That sometimes we suffer HERE so we don't have to suffer in the next life? ( I'm just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks...or, just for the exercise!
Seriously, don't take me TOO seriously right now! )

Quote:
What's missing is the balance. I AM a mother. The parent may guide and teach, but they also love and they make damn sure their child knows they are loved because they show it, and no, before you go there, "but but but He stretched out his arms and DIED for you" doesn't cut it. I know that one, too. Was quite popular on plaques in the Christian bookstores for a time, right along with the treacly "Footprints in the Sand", a big seller.
I wasn't thinking that! I swear! I was thinking more along the lines of how He Created this world...this universe...for US. I kind of think of it like a parent who builds/furnishes a nursery before a child is even born.
(Yes, I remember "Footprints in the Sand.")

Quote:
If the Christian God is what God is claimed to be, he/she/it has the power not just to teach or punish or even provide, but also to make it plain to his children that they are loved and cherished. That is what has always been missing. If you do not get to feel loved, what good is it? What is to be gained by withholding evidence of your love from your child?
I don't have the answer to that. But I DO know that some Christians can go through their entire lives, and never really feel that love FROM God...

...so much as TOWARDS God. Maybe for some, that's enough?

Old 02-19-2023, 02:10 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times
Quote:
I don't think any of us are saying that god should protect us from EVERYTHING. But long-term suffering that a person can't do anything about...that's a whole different thing than learning from one's mistakes.
Could the point be that we assist someone else in their suffering?

Old 02-19-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
But it also happens other ways.

In public squares.
In grocery stores.
In parking lots.
In parks.

At one point when I was principal some christian religious groups pushed for christian clubs in schools. Based on legal considerations, the school system developed some rules:
1. no proselytizing
2. the adult supervisor was there for one purpose -- legal supervision of students
3. the club has to be run entirely by students

I knew that the "adult supervisor" (a born again christian) wouldn't follow the rules...and he didn't. he started running the club and started trying to talk students into joining.

There are lots of ways to proselytize.
The thing is, this isn't any of those places. Why aren't you speaking out to those people in those places?

Old 02-19-2023, 02:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
I suppose, but in Christianity, that's what we are taught.

Thrill is a deist, so he believes a creator God exists but does not interact or influence human lives. That's another perspective

I just want to set the record straight. I was a deist and identified as such for several years. I bit the bullet several months ago and just identified as atheist because it requires less explanation.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Could the point be that we assist someone else in their suffering?
So you would happy to have god give incurable cancer so you can be nice to someone else? How about you just be nice without the cancer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality