Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 09:25 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
???

How do you interpret the scene with Mary Magdalene anointing Jesus with expensive perfume, then? Judas did raise the objection that the perfume could have been sold and the money given to the poor, but Jesus shut him down.

In your opinion, was Judas right here and Jesus wrong?
Yes. And I'll use a moral lesson older than Jesus: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:28 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
In your opinion, was Judas right here and Jesus wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.
Fair enough! I realize that you don't give any special deference to Jesus. But since Jesus is My Teacher and My God, well... surely you'll understand if I side with Him

Old 02-27-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Fair enough! I realize that you don't give any special deference to Jesus. But since Jesus is My Teacher and My God, well... surely you'll understand if I side with Him
I think Jesus was a good teacher. But in my view he was a man, not god.

But to be honest, I don't think you side with Jesus. I think your many posts simply demonstrate you are an apologist for the catholic church. After all, you ignored two scripture lessons that show the poor to be the focus of concern for christians.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:40 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
But to be honest, I don't think you side with Jesus. I think your many posts simply demonstrate you are an apologist for the catholic church. After all, you ignored two scripture lessons that show the poor to be the focus of concern for christians.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:49 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Fine. Then tell us the name of a single RCC hospital in the US that provides medical care free of charge to poor people.
The only hospital around here that was once associated with the Catholic Church no longer is. That being said, all hospitals will provide some level of care at no cost. A small for-profit hospital here has a sign that they will provide care necessary to stabilize a patient and transport to another hospital. The non-profits all care for patients who cannot pay. Providing that service is why some fees are so high for patients that do pay.

The only hospitals I am aware of that do not charge patients are St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis and the Shriner's Hospitals For Children.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
ooooooooo...a smiley that's a frown...ooooooooo

Old 02-27-2023, 10:43 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
I think you need to get off this. Most priests do not take a vow of poverty. So that mis-belief is not an issue.

Okay. Noted. The archbishops can live in a $50 million palace for all I care. I'm not paying for it. The chumps at the bottom are. All I'd like is a single hospital owned by the RCC that provides free care for the indigent. That shouldn't be a problem for an organization worth upward of $100 BILLION if they care for the poor as much as JerZ claims they do.

I recall I had this same problem with Jesus. I asked Mike to name me ONE secular historian from the 1st century who even mentioned the name of Jesus, much less gave an account of all the fabulous miracles and supernatural events wrought by his existence and no Christian could give me even one. It's the same broken record with Christians. "Yes there is evidence for Jesus." "Name me a single historian who proves it" "I can't".

What a 3-ring circus of insanity Christianity is.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Mark 10:21-22
"Go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

Luke 14:12-14
He said also to the one who had invited him, ‘When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.’

Quote:
It is possible to do both.

What an absolute crock.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:16 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
"Decent people" may not publicize their acts of charity, but the catholic church often does...when it suits their purpose. And, people publicizing their charity may be a way to inspire others to do so.

I think that catholics are sadly misguided if they are making donations to provide "lavish digs" to clergy. I don't remember Jesus saying that was a good idea.

What he did say was:

Mark 10:21-22
Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, ‘You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.’ When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

Luke 14:12-14
He said also to the one who had invited him, ‘When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.’
Quote:
I think Jesus was a good teacher. But in my view he was a man, not god.

Those two scriptures are not so much about serving the poor as they are about having a certain attitude toward riches.

Mark 10:21-22 is not instructing people to literally "sell all they have...give to the poor". The point was to demonstrate how the rich* (*which is subjective) are very attached to their worldly possessions, over and above their attachment to God. Quite a few people believe that as long as they were able to acquire their possessions without God, they don't need God. The bible tells us that we are to give generously to the needy, but not necessarily to the point of becoming needy ourselves.

The point of Luke 14:12-14 is giving with a clean heart...and not expecting to receive anything in return, especially from those who can't repay us.

Old 02-27-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Fine. Then tell us the name of a single RCC hospital in the US that provides medical care free of charge to poor people.

Still waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality