Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 07:25 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You've gotta be kidding.
If he didn't exist, there go the miracles and there goes the crucifixion and resurrection.
We are talking about the "mythical" Jesus with all the bells and whistles including the miracles and whatnot. Clearly, a man existed called Jesus by the early Christians. Supposedly He retained perfect agape love and forgiveness for even His savage and brutal torturers and murderers on the Cross. That kind of human consciousness was not remotely prevalent among our brutish ancestors so His purported impact on His followers makes sense. The fact that they embellished Him with all manner of godly attributes and significance is not unusual for that era.

The fact that I actually encountered such consciousness in deep meditation as the source of the Oneness establishing our entire Reality (aka God) is cogent TO ME. It is consistent with the scientific rationale I have developed in my Synthesis and does suggest my reinterpretation of Christianity is plausible. It makes the existence of such a human consciousness and its relationship to God's consciousness believable and its tremendous significance to humanity plausible TO ME. YMMV

Old 01-12-2023, 07:34 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
One doesn't negate the other. By the time Joseph Smith came along people were pretty fanatical about Christianity with almost 2000 years of brainwashing behind it and a miriad different sects. Christianity by that time was practically running through everybody's veins. Joseph Smith existed. His hallucinations were hallucinations. That doesn't prove that Jesus didn't exist.

What historical record are you referring to?

I think it was pretty much all hallucinations whether Smith or the apostles. The historic record would be any historians of the time who mentioned a "Jesus of Nazareth" and identified several attributes of Jesus that the gospels mention. The fact that not a single historian in the area in the 1st half of the century mentions a single supernatural event associated with Jesus is pretty much an open/shut case that the entire gospels narrative is mythical

Old 01-12-2023, 07:34 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"staying power" isn't proof.

Have you got the physical commandments or not?
We have even better!

Tradition says that the tablets were placed in the Ark of the Covenant. The ark is gone because it was only a typology - a foreshadowing of the Virgin Mary who would carry God Himself (the law and the prophets) within her body to be given for us.

Since we have Christ, who is the physical embodiment of the law, we don't need the tablets.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are talking about the "mythical" Jesus with all the bells and whistles including the miracles and whatnot. Clearly, a man existed called Jesus by the early Christians. Supposedly He retained perfect agape love and forgiveness for even His savage and brutal torturers and murderers on the Cross. That kind of human consciousness was not remotely prevalent among our brutish ancestors so His purported impact on His followers makes sense. The fact that they embellished Him with all manner of godly attributes and significance is not unusual for that era.

The fact that I actually encountered such consciousness in deep meditation as the source of the Oneness establishing our entire Reality (aka God) is cogent TO ME. It is consistent with the scientific rationale I have developed in my Synthesis and does suggest my reinterpretation of Christianity is plausible. It makes the existence of such a human consciousness and its relationship to God's consciousness believable and its tremendous significance to humanity plausible TO ME. YMMV

I didn't catch earlier that this thing you had with Jesus happened during meditation. Yogis encounter Buddha during deep meditation. People have all sorts of spiritual realizations during meditation. You didn't die therefore everything that happened to you happened IN YOUR HEAD. You must'nt try to convince us that your personal experience in your head carries any weight that Jesus is real anywhere except in your head.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Do you believe the Book of Mormon contains the inspired word of God like the Bible does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
No.

Why?

Old 01-12-2023, 07:59 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I didn't catch earlier that this thing you had with Jesus happened during meditation. Yogis encounter Buddha during deep meditation. People have all sorts of spiritual realizations during meditation. You didn't die therefore everything that happened to you happened IN YOUR HEAD. You must'nt try to convince us that your personal experience in your head carries any weight that Jesus is real anywhere except in your head.
You have got to get it into your head that EVERYTHING that we know and experience is IN OUR HEAD!!! That does not mean that solipsism is true, but it does mean that your dismissal is just puerile and immature. I find it strange that you do not find the idea at least intriguing that an avowed ATHEIST encountered the consciousness of God and eventually identified it as EXACTLY like the consciousness of Jesus who you previously revered as God!

Old 01-12-2023, 08:33 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticphd View Post
we are talking about the "mythical" jesus with all the bells and whistles including the miracles and whatnot. Clearly, a man existed called jesus by the early christians. Supposedly he retained perfect agape love and forgiveness for even his savage and brutal torturers and murderers on the cross. That kind of human consciousness was not remotely prevalent among our brutish ancestors so his purported impact on his followers makes sense. The fact that they embellished him with all manner of godly attributes and significance is not unusual for that era.

The fact that i actually encountered such consciousness in deep meditation as the source of the oneness establishing our entire reality (aka god) is cogent to me. It is consistent with the scientific rationale i have developed in my synthesis and does suggest my reinterpretation of christianity is plausible. It makes the existence of such a human consciousness and its relationship to god's consciousness believable and its tremendous significance to humanity plausible to me. Ymmv :d
aeemmv

Old 01-12-2023, 08:52 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
We have even better!

Tradition says that the tablets were placed in the Ark of the Covenant. The ark is gone because it was only a typology - a foreshadowing of the Virgin Mary who would carry God Himself (the law and the prophets) within her body to be given for us.

Since we have Christ, who is the physical embodiment of the law, we don't need the tablets.
You ain't "got" either.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:39 PM

427 posts, read 127,498 times
Quote:

It all depends on your understanding of HEAD. To the atheist, it is that upper portion of the human body consisting the skull with it covering and contents,including the lower jaw. Spiritually, it is that immensity that encompasses everything that exists. Try it, thrill. It will blow your mind.

Old 01-12-2023, 11:46 PM

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
I think it was pretty much all hallucinations whether Smith or the apostles. The historic record would be any historians of the time who mentioned a "Jesus of Nazareth" and identified several attributes of Jesus that the gospels mention. The fact that not a single historian in the area in the 1st half of the century mentions a single supernatural event associated with Jesus is pretty much an open/shut case that the entire gospels narrative is mythical
Which historians though?
The first half of which century?

Can you provide a link to these historical records you mentioned. I don't know what you are referencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality