Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2023, 12:23 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
The Bible is the holy book. It includes what Moses presumably wrote in Genesis. The Creation took place 6000 years ago. Dinosaurs were at least 60 million years ago if you choose to believe in scientism. Take your pick.
Option 3, dinosaurs were at least 60 million years ago if you choose to believe in science. You really need to learn what scientism is instead of abusing the term to simply dismiss the overwhelming evidence you do not like.

Because using your definition of scientism, your belief that creation took place 6000 years ago would be scientism.

Old 01-24-2023, 12:25 AM

Quote:
60 million years. Those dinosaurs were a lot further back in time than that 6700 year old popcorn. Does time by the clock really go back that far? Talk about faith. Atheists have more faith than Christians.
Does time by the clock really only go back that 6000 years? Talk about faith. Theists have more faith than atheists, AND they must believe the ancient Egyptians died out in the flood, only to immediately exist after it (because presumably they had their own magic ark).

Old 01-24-2023, 08:08 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Genesis is not wrong.
Your actual evidence for that statement?

Old 01-24-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The resident buddhist who is also an atheist has not answered my question: What did the Buddha say about the world, how was it created and when?
That's not really what Buddhism is about; it's about the reduction or elimination of suffering.

You may wish to peruse this, keeping in mind that all Buddhism is not Tibetan: Buddhist creation theory - Tibetan Buddhist Encyclopedia

Old 01-24-2023, 10:05 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
What are your sources with regard to when Moses lived? At any rate, you said presumably he wrote the creation stories. Perhaps, he wrote down stories transmitted to him from either his grandfather, Angel Gabriel, or even from God himself in a loud voice from Heaven.
What's interesting to me, is the order of creation is somewhat confirmed by scientists:

Water
Earth
Plants
Sea life
Birds
Animals
Humans

Quote:
500 million years of fish and proto-amphibians.

475 million years of land plants.

400 million years of insects and seeds.

360 million years of amphibians.

300 million years of reptiles.

200 million years of mammals.

150 million years of birds.

2.5 million years since the appearance of Homo.
https://flexbooks.ck12.org/cbook/ck-...olution-ms-ls/

The Bible is close to the truth, but fails with the appearance of birds. Still, it better than Greek religion:

Quote:
The Greeks believed that the sun was pulled across the sky by a chariot driven by the god, Apollo, (Or Helios, as some say, the titan who drove the 'sun chariot' across the sky before his successor Apollo) and he himself was the god of archery, poetry, and Oracles. Every day, Apollo would drive the Sun Chariot across the sky.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mythology

Or the Mesopotamian Creation:

Quote:
The young warrior god Marduk then volunteers his strength in return for a promise that, if victorious, he will become king of the gods. The gods agree, a battle ensues, and Marduk vanquishes Tiamat and Qingu, her host. Marduk then uses Tiamat’s carcass for the purpose of creation. He splits her in half, “like a dried fish,” and places one part on high to become the heavens, the other half to be the earth. As sky is now a watery mass, Marduk stretches her skin to the heavens to prevent the waters from escaping, a motif that explains why there is so little rainfall in southern Iraq. With the sky now in place, Marduk organizes the constellations of the stars. He lays out the calendar by assigning three stars to each month, creates his own planet, makes the moon appear, and establishes the sun, day, and night. From various parts of Tiamat’s body, he creates the clouds, winds, mists, mountains, and earth.
https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/epic/hd_epic.htm

As regard to when Moses lived. Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin in 1977 said the Jews built the pyramids. However, it not true. The pyramids were not built by slaves, but paid workers.

Quote:
In fact, archaeologists have never found evidence for the Biblical tales that the Israeli people were imprisoned in Egypt. And even if the Jewish people were imprisoned in Egypt, it’s extremely unlikely that they would have built the pyramids. The last pyramid, the so-called Pyramid of Ahmose, was built roughly 3,500 years ago. That’s hundreds of years before historians think the Israeli people first appeared. It’s also centuries before the oldest known Egyptian reference to the Jews on the Victory Stele of Merneptah.
https://www.discovermagazine.com/pla...ids-not-slaves

There is so much we don't know about the Ancient World and so much Hollywood myth, it's hard to grasp the Old Testament. The early Christians fought over whether or not to attach to Old Testament to the New Testament. I wonder if they made the right decision.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:22 AM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Genesis is not a literal story.
It has meaning, but it is metaphorical and not a true description of creation.

One can read Genesis two ways: metaphorically, or literally.

I am reading it literally to debate the atheist on the creation of the world. You are welcome if you think you can take me on.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
One can read Genesis two ways: metaphorically, or literally.

I am reading it literally to debate the atheist on the creation of the world. You are welcome if you think you can take me on.
Anyone can take you on. And then you'll declare yourself the winner of the discussion. As you did with gravity.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
What's interesting to me, is the order of creation is somewhat confirmed by scientists:

Water
Earth
Plants
Sea life
Birds
Animals
Humans

https://flexbooks.ck12.org/cbook/ck-...olution-ms-ls/

The Bible is close to the truth, but fails with the appearance of birds. Still, it better than Greek religion:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mythology

Or the Mesopotamian Creation:

https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/epic/hd_epic.htm

As regard to when Moses lived. Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin in 1977 said the Jews built the pyramids. However, it not true. The pyramids were not built by slaves, but paid workers.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/pla...ids-not-slaves

There is so much we don't know about the Ancient World and so much Hollywood myth, it's hard to grasp the Old Testament. The early Christians fought over whether or not to attach to Old Testament to the New Testament. I wonder if they made the right decision.

In my opinion, they made a big mistake. The teaching attributed to Jesus is a fundamental departure from the theology of Judaism. The moral of the teaching is difficult to grasp even today. It's amazing that it survived transmission despite all that extraneous embroidery of culture to fashion the delivery vehicle: Jesus Christ.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Anyone can take you on. And then you'll declare yourself the winner of the discussion. As you did with gravity.

My Buddhist friend, this forum is not my only rodeo. I come here to stretch my legs in between work on an academic paper on Reality: The Way of Truth (Parmenides).

Philosophy is hard work. And I need to engage you fellas to prevent my logic circuits from melting. They get pretty hot from the intensity of critical analysis.

You can carbon date anything you want. Anything beyond 6000 years is a tough sell to anyone but a fundie atheist.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You can carbon date anything you want. Anything beyond 6000 years is a tough sell to anyone but a fundie atheist.
You do realize most people accept the world is over 6000 years? Your silly ad hominem is attacking billions of people, not just atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.