Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 11:25 AM

4,638 posts, read 1,771,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes, but why? Our lives only have meaning because of our faith in something greater than ourselves. Keller was very religious.
Why what? Keller may have been religious, but she didn't start out that way...

...or DID she? She says that she always knew there was 'something' with her. Once she discovered God, she just 'knew', THAT was her experience.

And what about someone like Viktor Frankl? He wasn't so much "religious", but he managed to find purpose in suffering during his stint in a concentration camp. For him, the purpose was love...

Not ALL of us go through "misery", at least as "misery" can be defined by most. I was homeless for a time in my own life. But that doesn't mean I was "miserable" during that time.

Maybe it's the way we each define "suffering" and "misery" that's the problem.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
It's all relative. God grants the favor of suffering to some more than others for reasons known only to Him.
Again, gotta define "suffering." And just because we may believe that someone 'suffers' because of an adverse circumstance that *we* couldn't handle, doesn't mean that it's 'suffering' to the person handling it.

Ask someone like Bethany Hamilon -- the young woman who lost her arm from a shark attack -- whether SHE feels that she's "suffering" NOW.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:22 PM

13,517 posts, read 7,800,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Ask someone like Bethany Hamilon -- the young woman who lost her arm from a shark attack -- whether SHE feels that she's "suffering" NOW.
Her feelings are dependent upon where she finds her sense of meaning and purpose.

Objectively speaking, she is suffering because she is lacking an arm.

My point in all this is that without a higher purpose/meaning, there is no principled way to classify the experience of human life for all but very few as anything but miserable and pointless. Hell or some equivalent is the only logical final outcome.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:38 PM

63,558 posts, read 39,836,934 times
Quote:
Sure. Why not?

We obviously don't all have the same life experiences...so, why not have different after life experiences?
My experiences of the Oneness makes this view problematic since were are actually psychically linked with God. I did retain my sense of individuality, however, which is somewhat confusing and inexplicable. Who knows?? We will definitely find out though, of that I have no doubt.

Old 02-01-2023, 02:50 PM

50,437 posts, read 24,019,968 times
Quote:
Hell is just the default state. We live short, miserable lives. We get sick, and our last years are full of pain, misery, and disease while we watch everyone we ever cared about suffer and die. Then, as far as we can tell empirically, our bodies stink and rot and our consciousness eventually ceases to exist.

The Good News of the Gospel is that our short, miserable lives actually do have meaning; and physical death is not the end.
And who created life in that manner???

Old 02-01-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Her feelings are dependent upon where she finds her sense of meaning and purpose.

My point in all this is that without a higher purpose/meaning, there is no principled way to classify the experience of human life for all but very few as anything but miserable and pointless. Hell or some equivalent is the only logical final outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And who created life in that manner???
This misery and suffering is a result of the fall of man - man's disobedience to God. God created the universe good, including mankind.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:12 PM

50,437 posts, read 24,019,968 times
Quote:
This misery and suffering is a result of the fall of man - man's disobedience to God. God created the universe good, including mankind.
And you think it's fair for all men, women, and children to be punished for something that 2 people did thousands of years ago.

Fine...may you be punished severely. Is that fair?

Old 02-01-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
And you think it's fair for all men, women, and children to be punished for something that 2 people did thousands of years ago.
It depends on what you mean by "punished". I would say that there is nothing intrinsically unfair about us suffering the consequences of their actions.

Quote:
Fine...may you be punished severely. Is that fair?
Yes; on the condition that my punishment be applied towards your redemption.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Maybe objectively to *you*. But is ALL suffering objective?

Or subjective? If the person we think 'should' be 'suffering' doesn't think *they* are suffering, well...are they, in fact, "suffering"?

Perhaps 'suffering' is also in the 'eye of the beholder'...

Quote:
How 'high' does that 'purpose' go?

Does it come down to, either we're extremely happy or 'miserable'?

Are those REALLY the only two options we have?

Old 02-01-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe objectively to *you*. But is ALL suffering objective?

Or subjective? If the person we think 'should' be 'suffering' doesn't think *they* are suffering, well...are they, in fact, "suffering"?
In this sense, by objective suffering I simply meant that something is not as it should be. Eg.: she should have two arms, yet she only has one.

Quote:
Perhaps 'suffering' is also in the 'eye of the beholder'...
Speaking of suffering in a subjective sense, certainly that's true.

Quote:
How 'high' does that 'purpose' go?

Does it come down to, either we're extremely happy or 'miserable'?

Are those REALLY the only two options we have?
Our levels of happiness and misery are functions of how well we think we are fulfilling our perceived purpose or meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.