Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 01:26 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Have you considered that the Catholic faith had it wrong? The number of years is no indicator that they had it right.
Yes. For the majority of my life I thought they had it wrong.

Quote:
If I offer you a box of chocolates for valentines day in the shape of a heart and say ' I give you my heart', I'm not giving you my actual heart. It's a symbol of my love.
Jesus didn't offer his actual flesh and blood, he offered bread and wine, because that's what was to hand. If he'd had a heart shaped box of chocolate he'd have probably handed those around as well.
But He did offer His actual flesh and blood when He was beaten, scourged, and nailed to the cross where He died.

Quote:
Does a person need to state when something is real and when it's a metaphor? He probably knew it was self evident. Besides which, as we've discussed before, the bible was written many years later and like Chinese whispers, stories get embellished.
The Church had been practicing its rites of worship for a full generation or more before the Gospels were written. The Church already had its beliefs and praxis about the Eucharist long before the Gospels were written.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:28 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Let's say you and I have identical iPhones, same color and everything. The form of them is the same; but the essence (or substance) differs in that one is your iPhone, and one is my iPhone. There is a substantial difference between the two. Something has changed since those iPhones rolled off the assembly line, hasn't it?

Now go back to the two pieces of bread sitting next to each other. What we are saying is that one of those pieces of bread has undergone a change to the degree that it is no longer technically correct to refer to it as merely "bread".

It's true that the bread and wine, when first presented on the altar, are merely symbols of Christ's Body and Blood. But when the priest utters the words of consecration, the symbols become reality. It is now only the appearances that are symbolic, as only the appearance remains of what once was.

Baptism works similarly. When a person is baptized and comes back up from the water, there is no change in his appearance. As far as anyone can tell, he's the same person. However, we know that a substantial change has taken place in that the "old man" has passed away, and he has been re-born as a child of God.

No really. You still, as you stated earlier believe that its just the 'essence' of the thing.

It still looks like wine, tastes like wine and is not bloody even after consecration.

So at all points it remains symbolic.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:28 PM

895 posts, read 475,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, you're eating his flesh and drinking his blood during communion.
After 2000 years of communions, maybe that's why he's no where to be found, everyone ate him all up.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yes. For the majority of my life I thought they had it wrong.

But He did offer His actual flesh and blood when He was beaten, scourged, and nailed to the cross where He died. .

That was at a different point in time, not at the table.

Not sure he offered anything. When you are nailed to a cross it's not exactly voluntary.

Quote:
The Church had been practicing its rites of worship for a full generation or more before the Gospels were written. The Church already had its beliefs and praxis about the Eucharist long before the Gospels were written.
That still doesn't mean they didn't interpret it wrongly.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:38 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times
Quote:
Let's say you and I have identical iPhones, same color and everything. The form of them is the same; but the essence (or substance) differs in that one is your iPhone, and one is my iPhone. There is a substantial difference between the two. Something has changed since those iPhones rolled off the assembly line, hasn't it?

Now go back to the two pieces of bread sitting next to each other. What we are saying is that one of those pieces of bread has undergone a change to the degree that it is no longer technically correct to refer to it as merely "bread".

It's true that the bread and wine, when first presented on the altar, are merely symbols of Christ's Body and Blood. But when the priest utters the words of consecration, the symbols become reality. It is now only the appearances that are symbolic, as only the appearance remains of what once was.

Baptism works similarly. When a person is baptized and comes back up from the water, there is no change in his appearance. As far as anyone can tell, he's the same person. However, we know that a substantial change has taken place in that the "old man" has passed away, and he has been re-born as a child of God.
Another analogy...

Cooking foods can destroy some of the nutrients. The foods may look the same, and even taste the same. But their vitamin/mineral composition -- that is, their 'essence' -- has been altered.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Another analogy...

Cooking foods can destroy some of the nutrients. The foods may look the same, and even taste the same. But their vitamin/mineral composition -- that is, their 'essence' -- has been altered.

Cooked food doesn't tend to look at all like the uncooked version. Cooking changes the actual physical and chemical composition of the food.

If you examine wine after the priest has done his thing, it remains completely physically and chemically unchanged.

Not a great analogy, sorry.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That was at a different point in time, not at the table.
Jesus' actions at the table foreshadowed what would take place the following night.

Quote:
Not sure he offered anything. When you are nailed to a cross it's not exactly voluntary.
In Jesus' case, it absolutely was voluntary. He is God and could have commanded tens of thousands of angels to rescue him and destroy his enemies. This is the God who brought the entire universe into existence with just His words. He could have simply spoken a word and ended it all.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Jesus' actions at the table foreshadowed what would take place the following night.

In Jesus' case, it absolutely was voluntary. He is God and could have commanded tens of thousands of angels to rescue him and destroy his enemies. This is the God who brought the entire universe into existence with just His words. He could have simply spoken a word and ended it all.

Oh come on. Now you're just making things up.

Being forcefully nailed to a cross is not voluntary unless you're some kind of sadist.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Oh come on. Now you're just making things up.
No, it's all straight out of the Gospel accounts (Matthew 26:53, John 19:11, etc.).

Quote:
Being forcefully nailed to a cross is not voluntary unless you're some kind of sadist.
Jesus did not resist. He's not a sadist, He didn't enjoy it.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No, it's all straight out of the Gospel accounts (Matthew 26:53, John 19:11, etc.).

Jesus did not resist. He's not a sadist, He didn't enjoy it.

Not resisting is not the same as volunteering at all.

To quote the Borg, resistance would have been futile.

Again, he didn't 'offer' anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality