Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 10:25 AM

4,085 posts, read 871,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Too bad Christianity co-opted lots of Pagan traditions to make it more palatable for potential converts. And based on Christianity reigning supreme in much of the world today, I can’t say that’s a bad evolutionary strategy.
You talking only about the Catholic church with their worship of Mary making her a co redeemer, a mediatrix? What exactly are you talking about, and their worship of statues?

Old 12-26-2022, 10:31 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
You talking only about the Catholic church with their worship of Mary making her a co redeemer, a mediatrix? What exactly are you talking about, and their worship of statues?
I’m talking about the whole kit and caboodle. This is not confined to any one denomination.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:36 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
You are kicking a dead horse,

Can you refute Fact 1?

FACT 1: There is no historical evidence for Jesus outside the New Testament

Old 12-26-2022, 10:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 871,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I’m talking about the whole kit and caboodle. This is not confined to any one denomination.
Let's discuss here together in your words tell me what you want to say.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:45 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oops, I think you typed "brave" instead of "bored" in the thread title!

Want me to fix it?

priceless MQ !

Old 12-26-2022, 10:50 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus'Truth View Post
Let's discuss here together in your words tell me what you want to say.
The point is that it’s silly to take potshots at “pagans” when your own religion appropriated many of their trappings in order to attract followers (of course, all religions engage in this practice to varying degrees). I also linked you to an authoritative source that can explain this in far more (and better) detail. Whether you read it is up to you.

Happy Boxing Day to all, and to all a good afternoon!

Old 12-26-2022, 10:57 AM

427 posts, read 127,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I had originally wanted to do a Part 2 on this but I'd like to present my additional evidence in the form of a discussion with Christians. The problem has been NO Christian has been willing to step forth and defend their savior god when I extend this invitation to them. So I figure the best way to approach the issue at this point is to just throw it out there as a new thread and see if anyone in the Christian camp is brave enough to take on a friendly debate.

My contention: the Jesus of the gospels is a mythical character pure and simple. History shows he never existed. Any Christians want to contest my claim? Step forth.

I am a Christian and would like to debate you.

You contend that Jesus of the gospels is a mythical character. The gospels are historical records. The past is history. Nothing of the past exists in the present. In that sense, Jesus of the gospels, as well as, anyone who is no longer alive now, is indeed a myth. As a Christian, I relate with a living Jesus. No myth.

Debating myths is for historians. It is for academics. Debating the existence of a living truth is more challenging. It requires intelligence. Are you up to it?

Old 12-26-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Can you refute Fact 1?

The question still stands--waiting for an answer from a Christian.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:08 AM

993 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:
Can you refute Fact 1?

Here we go again.

https://gccalliance.org/the-fifth-an...hal-revelation
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...eachings-jesus

Old 12-26-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
I am a Christian and would like to debate you.

You contend that Jesus of the gospels is a mythical character. The gospels are historical records. The past is history. Nothing of the past exists in the present. In that sense, Jesus of the gospels, as well as, anyone who is no longer alive now, is indeed a myth. As a Christian, I relate with a living Jesus. No myth.

Debating myths is for historians. It is for academics. Debating the existence of a living truth is more challenging. It requires intelligence. Are you up to it?

Hello, myuen, I'd be happy to debate you. I see you are a newbie. This will be a civilized polite discussion on my part.

Yes, I contend as do several Biblical scholars many with PhD's in ancient religions that the gospels Jesus was a mythical person POSSIBLY BASED ON A HISTORICAL ORDINARY PERSON(S) I named 3 possible ones earlier in post No 13.

1. Yehuda of Galilee (6 C.E.),

2. Theudas (44 C.E.),

3. Benjamin the Egyptian (60 C.E.)

These three are historical figures that were regarded as Christs (the Chosen One; the Anointed one) and were crucified by the Romans. The Jesus character of the gospels may have been based on one or more of them.

The gospels are NOT regard as historical records. They are regarded as testimonies of faith set within a historical period much like Gone With The Wind.

The profession of faith that you can relate with Jesus is NOT a historic fact.

From the looks of your statements I sense it is you who is not up to a debate but I will try.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-26-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality