Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 11:57 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's a spiritual form of communication, as a relationship, and basically a two-way street of:

1) Showing attention and support for God, through ways such as singing to him, saying positive words about him, and thanking him in prayer.

2) Trying learn from him; mostly through personal time together in prayer, and learning through experiences.

It should be made very clear that no church, or building, or group/club is needed for any of that.
We are made for community. Why you want to be a Lone Ranger Christian, I do not understand. Can’t you find anyone you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 12:01 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We are made for community. Why you want to be a Lone Ranger Christian, I do not understand. Can’t you find anyone you like?
I'm fine with others and community, assuming their attitude is not tainted by religious fluff. But, that's an extra, a bonus, an option, and not required. I'd rather keep things personal and internal, for purity sake. I'm not going to compromise just because churches lie and act as though they're "required" (for their own gain and manipulation). I'd rather be a Lone Ranger than a church pawn.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-30-2022 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-30-2022, 12:24 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
It's a spiritual form of communication, as a relationship, and basically a two-way street of:

1) Showing attention and support for God, through ways such as singing to him, saying positive words about him, and thanking him in prayer.

2) Trying learn from him; mostly through personal time together in prayer, and learning through experiences.

It should be made very clear that no church, or building, or group/club is needed for any of that.
Quote:
Actually, I think I understand what Thoreau means. While it's great to give honor to God through songs, giving, thanksgiving (basically, your 'short list'), we don't need to do these things, or only do these things inside a church.

Personally, I don't reserve my 'worship' to only inside church, one hour a week. In fact, I probably spend more time 'worshipping' outside the church during the week than inside the church on Sunday.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Worship is honoring and loving God, giving praise, thanksgiving and reverence to Him. We can do this through prayer, meditation
song, Bible study, giving, works, fellowship with other believers, and sharing the gospel.
Seems about to cover it.

Found this online:
The word worship is used over 182 times in the Bible. This word is used in a variety of ways,
but it is commonly used in the church today to only refer to the part of service where we are singing.

(Huh?)

And:
...“worship” appears, in most instances derived from the Greek proskuneoœ, which means
to prostrate oneself to pay homage or obeisance...

Old 12-30-2022, 12:32 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
I'm fine with others and community, assuming their attitude is not tainted by religious fluff. But, that's an extra, a bonus, an option, and not required. I'd rather keep things personal and internal, for purity sake. I'm not going to compromise just because churches lie and act as though they're "required" (for their own gain and manipulation). I'd rather be a Lone Ranger than a church pawn.
Can you unpack what's bolded a little more, please? I mean, I'm only "required" to go to church once a year, at Easter. But even then, I don't put anything in the collection plate (contributing to the poor is a different matter). So, I don't see how the church is "gaining" anything from me.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Some seem to think that the "worship" of God means, to spend 24/7/365 on our knees, hands in the air, telling God how "great" He is.

Meanwhile, NO WHERE in the bible does it say to do this. So, what does it mean to "worship" God?
It means to love God, our Heavenly Father, as much as He loves us.

It means not to fear Him, because He is Love Divine.

I just tell Him, "I Love You," whenever I think of it. That's all.

I don't go to church. My church is wherever I am...

As I know God is with me at all times...

As He is with all of His children wherever they may be...

Whether they are believers or non-believers, His Love is always here for everyone.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:48 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Can you unpack what's bolded a little more, please? I mean, I'm only "required" to go to church once a year, at Easter. But even then, I don't put anything in the collection plate (contributing to the poor is a different matter). So, I don't see how the church is "gaining" anything from me.
All the churches I've been a part of, or visited, have taught or insinuated that attending church is necessary and required to have any hope of understanding or honoring or worshipping God. I haven't found that to be true. I've instead picked up that attendance (and membership) meets their needs: filling the room, filling the plate / coffers, having listening ears and an audience.

It's kind of weird to have to go out of the way to go to a specific building and play by their rules, when I can much better have quality time wherever I'd normally be, whether at home, in a park, at a lake, at the beach, or some other place in nature. I guess I no longer have time for rooms full of stifling exhaled CO2, robotic "praise" songs, and canned speeches.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-30-2022 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-30-2022, 01:19 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Actually, I think I understand what Thoreau means. While it's great to give honor to God through songs, giving, thanksgiving (basically, your 'short list'), we don't need to do these things, or only do these things inside a church.

Personally, I don't reserve my 'worship' to only inside church, one hour a week. In fact, I probably spend more time 'worshipping' outside the church during the week than inside the church on Sunday.
Can’t we do both? Corporate and individual worship?

Old 12-30-2022, 01:24 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
It means to love God, our Heavenly Father, as much as He loves us.

It means not to fear Him, because He is Love Divine.

I just tell Him, "I Love You," whenever I think of it. That's all.

I don't go to church. My church is wherever I am...

As I know God is with me at all times...

As He is with all of His children wherever they may be...

Whether they are believers or non-believers, His Love is always here for everyone.
Yes.
It is all in the attitude we bring forth. Thankful for the goodness and for the troubles we endure both with the same equanimity. Trust in his will and know it is right, even when we don’t always understand it. Ask for grace and the means to know the divinity within us.

Old 12-30-2022, 01:33 PM

427 posts, read 127,498 times
Quote:
Can’t we do both? Corporate and individual worship?

I don't think the individual can survive without the support of the group. Humanity is one indivisible whole. The idea of the autonomous individual is an ideology that is inconsistent with reality.

Living together in harmony is what religion is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality