Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 09:47 AM

427 posts, read 127,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Good grief. What year are we in?

What about women who can't get pregnant or don't want to? You are saying they have no purpose?

And what is your purpose?

Me? My only purpose is to take care of my body which, incidentally, is male. Apart from that, I have no other purpose.

Don't want to get pregnant? Isn't this strange? Have you ever come across a case of refusal to reproduce in the natural world? A female bear that doesn't want to get pregnant. She is going to mess up the balance of nature in the forest.

Women who can't get pregnant don't have babies. They can still live a happy married life. What's the matter with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 10:18 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Me? My only purpose is to take care of my body which, incidentally, is male. Apart from that, I have no other purpose.

Don't want to get pregnant? Isn't this strange? Have you ever come across a case of refusal to reproduce in the natural world? A female bear that doesn't want to get pregnant. She is going to mess up the balance of nature in the forest.

Women who can't get pregnant don't have babies. They can still live a happy married life. What's the matter with you?
Well, you DID say that every female of the species has babies. Here's the post in which you said it.

Quote:
Me inconsistent? What kind of moral logic do you subscribe to? Every female of the specie has babies. Until atheism invaded the public space and subverted religious morality, human culture was guided by Mother Nature. Now, it's one unholy mess.
You also said having babies is the only purpose for a female. Here's that post.

Quote:
In my opinion, motherhood is the only calling for a person with a female body. It ovulates and lactates for what other purpose than fulfilling the plan of Nature?
Why should any human being have a baby if they don't want to?

Think about the dichotomy in what you said. First you said motherhood is the only calling for a female, and then you said women who don't have babies can live a happy married life.

Do you also think fatherhood is the only calling for a male?

Old 01-13-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, you DID say that every female of the species has babies. Here's the post in which you said it.

You also said having babies is the only purpose for a female. Here's that post.

Why should any human being have a baby if they don't want to?

Think about the dichotomy in what you said. First you said motherhood is the only calling for a female, and then you said women who don't have babies can live a happy married life.

Do you also think fatherhood is the only calling for a male?

Fatherhood is not a natural calling. It is a cultural phenomenon. There are mothers in nature. Maternal instinct is natural. Paternal instinct is cultivated and legislated.

I did say "Every female of the specie has babies".

And I also did say "In my opinion, motherhood is the only calling for a person with a female body."

There are salient differences between your paraphrases and my actual statements. Can you see them? I like your questions but the inferences in them detract from the spiritual ethics issue I am alluding to.

Let's be clear about our respective perceptions of reality. I assume you are speaking from the standpoint of atheism. To you the female comes in one package comprising the psychological person (mind) and the physical organism (body). The jury is still out with regard to the package as the hard problem of consciousness is still unresolved in the world of science.

My spiritual perspective regard a person as the state of awareness of the world in which it is yoked to a human body. The responsibility of the person is to the welfare of the body. The body has no calling. Motherhood is the calling of the person minding the female body.

Female bodies that are unable to produce babies are unusual. If I am a person with a female body and it is infertile, it is not a big deal. If I am predisposed to liking children, I go work in a nursery or kindergarten for kids. If I am not, then I take up any career I want.

Old 01-13-2023, 02:26 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
In my opinion, motherhood is the only calling for a person with a female body. It ovulates and lactates for what other purpose than fulfilling the plan of Nature?
The human body has no purpose, nor a calling. The body is just an object, a vehicle. It is the existence/being within that determines both. The human, unlike animals that act by instinct, acts with a will, not by instinct alone. The purpose of a human birth is to know the nature of its being, not to procreate. To realize that, one needs to take care of the body so it is fit and healthy. Procreation is always a choice.

That the female body ovulates and lactates does not mean it needs to be impregnated every month. That a new body forms within the mother's body is the force of karma. That it starts a life with a body, or not, is also karma.

Old 01-13-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The human body has no purpose, nor a calling. The body is just an object, a vehicle. It is the existence/being within that determines both. The human, unlike animals that act by instinct, acts with a will, not by instinct alone. The purpose of a human birth is to know the nature of its being, not to procreate. To realize that, one needs to take care of the body so it is fit and healthy. Procreation is always a choice.

That the female body ovulates and lactates does not mean it needs to be impregnated every month. That a new body forms within the mother's body is the force of karma. That it starts a life with a body, or not, is also karma.

I cannot claim any understanding of the purpose of the body in particular and its place in Nature in the general scheme of things. If, as you said, the human body has no purpose, then human birth (procreation) has no knowable purpose either.

My concern is with my conduct as a person entrusted with the care of the body, formed by nature.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:26 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
I cannot claim any understanding of the purpose of the body in particular and its place in Nature in the general scheme of things. If, as you said, the human body has no purpose, then human birth (procreation) has no knowable purpose either.

My concern is with my conduct as a person entrusted with the care of the body, formed by nature.

The body with the being that exists within is inert, and it will decay, vanish in time, not exist any more. The Being within is eternal, it is the awareness that enlivens the body as long as it exists. It is with the body as its vehicle that the being realizes its true nature - the only purpose of the body is as enabler. It has no purpose of its own. After the body dies the Being still exists. When it is time for it to incarnate it forms a body.
My conduct as person is to live the kind of life that will enable me to fulfill the purpose - to know know the nature of my Self. And that includes taking good care of the body so it is fit.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The body with the being that exists within is inert, and it will decay, vanish in time, not exist any more. The Being within is eternal, it is the awareness that enlivens the body as long as it exists. It is with the body as its vehicle that the being realizes its true nature - the only purpose of the body is as enabler. It has no purpose of its own. After the body dies the Being still exists. When it is time for it to incarnate it forms a body.
My conduct as person is to live the kind of life that will enable me to fulfill the purpose - to know know the nature of my Self. And that includes taking good care of the body so it is fit.

I understand where you are coming from, my friend. Difficult as it is to grasp, I feel that my spiritual path is not separate from the worldly one. It is not either (theism) or (atheism). The human being is not either male or female or something in between.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:54 PM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Would you agree that people can have more than one calling? Did not Rachel Carson have a calling to be a great environmentalist and to be an adopted mom to her nephew?

Old 01-13-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Would you agree that people can have more than one calling? Did not Rachel Carson have a calling to be a great environmentalist and to be an adopted mom to her nephew?

It's strange that you would bring up Rachel Carson. She is such a blast from the past. She predates feminism if that is what you intend to invoke.

Mine is a spiritual viewpoint of one's vocation, not as a psychological product of culture but as a creation and part of the order of nature.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:37 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:

What's the matter with you?
Your the one who said a woman's only purpose is to have babies.

We're not bears. We're human. We have brains that have the ability to make choices with our lives that goes beyond primitive instinct.
We set our own purpose. I'm sorry you have no purpose in life other than to look after yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality