Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 11:30 AM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Of course, it ends. It's over. How does the role of motherhood change?
You’re absolutely right. Once women finish spawning and reach advanced maternal age, they should swim upstream to die like salmon.

Quote:
There are no grandmother bears in nature.
There’s no religion in nature, either. And yet, here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 11:45 AM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
You’re absolutely right. Once women finish spawning and reach advanced maternal age, they should swim upstream to die like salmon.

You must not be cross when faced with the truth. "Giving birth and tending to offspring" is a phenomenon of nature. There is no "mother" to begin with. It's the fulfillment of a responsibility. It's a job. When it's done and over with, the responsibility ceases to exist.

The problem you have is wallowing in sentiment. In Buddhism, your condition is called attachment, grasping (Upadana), fuel for suffering.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

There’s no religion in nature, either. And yet, here we are.

On the contrary, nature is the living expression of spiritual literature. It's my Bible.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
My grass is pretty green on my side!! I'm not lookin' anywhere else.

Old 01-14-2023, 12:11 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
You must not be cross when faced with the truth. "Giving birth and tending to offspring" is a phenomenon of nature. There is no "mother" to begin with. It's the fulfillment of a responsibility. It's a job. When it's done and over with, the responsibility ceases to exist.

The problem you have is wallowing in sentiment. In Buddhism, your condition is called attachment, grasping (Upadana), fuel for suffering.

The bolded is well stated.

Biology is not destiny. To view women as bearers of children and then mothers forever is sexism parading as sentimentality. Women can chose to be mothers or not. That their choice is taken away from them is patriarchal oppressive nonsense and nothing else.
Being a mother does not mean women lose their identity as a human beings. It is a role as is fatherhood. Some parents chose to cast off that role and abandon their children. Karma will get them.

Last edited by cb2008; 01-14-2023 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-14-2023, 01:37 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I had an old HS friend visit me not that long ago....and I was at times envious of her...not majorly...but a tad.

She's getting close to finishing college and she always shows herself having fun online at college, talks about how great her career choices will be online, she is so smart and earning good grades. She's tall, beautiful blonde hair, she knows how to do makeup and she can bake well. It feels like she has a certain freedom and capability that I don't have as a young stay at home mom.

When she came over she had so much fun with my two boys and after awhile she broke down about how lucky I am...that she is miserable and doesn't like her major...but wants to get out of college so she won't change her major...her parents are starting to cut her off financially...her bf is on and off and stressing her out. She told me that she was jealous of me having a stable husband, stable finances, that I am fit and can find time to eat right and do aerobics, she thinks she's put on weight...she really hasn't... and my boys being cute...

I think the lesson is that both of us need to focus more on our positives that we already have, rather than what we don't have.

So weird for us each to think the other has it better....
There is a quote attributed to Buddha that says, "Don't underestimate yourself by comparing yourself with others. It's our differences that make us unique and beautiful." Actually there are lots of good quotes in that vein.

Old 01-14-2023, 01:38 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:

No, it’s actually called sarcasm. And I quite enjoy it when the comic timing is right.

Quote:
On the contrary, nature is the living expression of spiritual literature. It's my Bible.
Sure is. Just ask members of faiths like the Church of Christ, Cocker Spaniel, Reptilian Islam, and, lest we forget, the House Mouse Jewish community. Actually, I think Art Spiegelman wrote about that last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

Biology is not destiny. To view women as bearers of children and then mothers forever is sexism parading as sentimentality. Women can chose to be mothers or not. That their choice is taken away from them is patriarchal oppressive nonsense and nothing else.
Being a mother does not mean women lose their identity as a human beings. It is a role as is fatherhood. Some parents chose to cast off that role and abandon their children. Karma will get them.
This is funny because myuen2 is all about the patriarchal oppressive nonsense of which you complain. Short of being a sperm or egg donor, placing your children for adoption, or, all too often, running out on your family, parenthood is and should be a lifelong commitment. That goes for fathers just as much as mothers. Nor is it a choice that everyone has to make or even should make.

It is not an indelible marker erasing all other aspects of that person’s identity, but a role superimposed on all other aspects of what make that person an individual. What we do and how we function as parents changes as our children get older. I help my son to the bathroom, read him picture books, and tuck him in at night because he’s three-and-a-half. These are not things I anticipate doing when he’s 13, much less 33. The nature and frequency of our interactions will change as he continues to grow and develop as a person. But he will always be my son, just as I will always be his father, and I hope we will remain an (appropriately) close part of one another’s lives.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-14-2023 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-14-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

Let's meditate on this (highlighted statement above).

If one is a person with a female body, what is the destiny of that body within the natural scheme of things?

Mother Nature is "the elephant in the room". She has been objectified by atheism and given the role of a
support platform for human life. Talk about heartless ingrates treating their mothers as housemaids and cooks. Rachel Carson was alarmed and registered her upset in Silent Spring.

Old 01-14-2023, 02:11 PM

When our children reach adulthood they are individuals with their own identity and lives. The relationship changes, we view each with respect, admiration, love. He is a son but also a friend, a lover, a husband and father himself. The only true and permanent aspect, that does not change, that remains, is the Self. Everything else is superimposed. We have no more authority over them as parents, nor do we posses them as objects of our sentiment. The only true thing is the love that does not change, which is the nature of the Self. Love is ever present, not only for our children, for all children, for all creation, the universe.

Old 01-14-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Let's meditate on this (highlighted statement above).

If one is a person with a female body, what is the destiny of that body within the natural scheme of things?

Her destiny is shaped by her karma and it may or may not include bearing children. Her body does not limit or circumscribe her Self which has no gender. In Hinduism Divinity is worshipped in both the female and male form. One of the ways Lord Shiva is depicted is as ardha-nari, half-woman, to depict creation-power.

What is the destiny of one possessed with a male body?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality