Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 04:34 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
What do you mean by problematic drinking habits? None of my drinking habits had been problematic. For example I always have a beer when I cook. It's a habit I picked up from a chef. He ran this Italian restaurant, a pretty chic place, with his Chinese girlfriend in Kuala Lumpur. I would watch him come to the bar, get himself a beer from the tap, and head back to his open kitchen visible from the bar, and do his stuff in there. I have been habitually opening a beer every evening when I am in the kitchen. Peroni or German beer. Used to drink American but my mother stopped me. "Stop drinking that slop. It has chemicals!" Sometime I wonder if L8 is right: no free will, no character.
Interesting. I used to always pour myself a glass of Cab before I started cooking. And turn on the music. But then i developed acid reflux and had to stop with the red. It became an occasional glass of white and then stopped completely except when we go out to dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 04:43 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
I am quite dependent on spirits (this is a better term than alcohol which has a negative connotation). A beer while cooking dinner because it serves as an apéritif. On a great night when I am God-intoxicated, I would replace that with a bourbon on the rocks. Wine, of course with dinner. I am not much for an after dinner drink unless I have company. Then, it will either be a brandy or a fine scotch. I have never seen an alcoholic up close except in Asia, on two occasions, both times a Tamil; and one time only back here in the the US. He looked like it but I couldn't be certain. He was always with a big Coke paper cup whenever I saw him. One afternoon, while we were chatting on the front porch of the shack (vacation rental) he was letting to me, I asked him what he was drinking. He said, "Johnnie Walker." He was a retired top gun fighter pilot.
Indians can be notorious alcoholics. Johnie Walker Red (or is it black the better?) is the holy grail. Fighter pilots are ALL alcoholics, mostly because they had free access to liquor in the armed forces. Most of India was dry for a long time. Not anymore. The sight of an alcoholic up close is not pretty, Indian or American.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:46 PM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I mean that my father has taken to drinking a whole bottle of wine, by himself, every night. That’s not healthy. I never said your (or anyone else’s) drinking habits were problematic.

Every night? I have half a bottle every night. It's not much. First pour, with the cheeses and appetizers, is a little less than a quarter bottle. By the time, I get to the main course, I would have at least another pour, and that would add up to a third of a bottle. One more pour to finish the meal with brings it up to half a bottle. It's not a lot. I would not be tipsy let alone drunk. Wine is easy drinking. I could see a bottle vanish in a flash, at the bar, between me and a friend, while waiting to be seated in a restaurant. At the table, the sommelier would come up with his recommendations. What do I do then? Eat without wine? I would only do that if I were eating out of a dumpster with Mink57.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:53 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, if he's "habitually" (his words) drinking, then it is a problem.
I’m not saying you’re wrong—assuming we can take these posts at face value (which, well?).

Quote:
Every night? I have half a bottle every night. It's not much. First pour, with the cheeses and appetizers, is a little less than a quarter bottle. By the time, I get to the main course, I would have at least another pour, and that would add up to a third of a bottle. One more pour to finish the meal with brings it up to half a bottle. It's not a lot. I would not be tipsy let alone drunk. Wine is easy drinking. I could see a bottle vanish in a flash, at the bar, between me and a friend, while waiting to be seated in a restaurant. At the table, the sommelier would come up with his recommendations. What do I do then? Eat without wine? I would only do that if I were eating out of a dumpster with Mink57.
Oy, oy, oy, shikker iz a goy.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:57 PM

50,799 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I am quite dependent on spirits (this is a better term than alcohol which has a negative connotation). A beer while cooking dinner because it serves as an apéritif. On a great night when I am God-intoxicated, I would replace that with a bourbon on the rocks. Wine, of course with dinner. I am not much for an after dinner drink unless I have company. Then, it will either be a brandy or a fine scotch. I have never seen an alcoholic up close except in Asia, on two occasions, both times a Tamil; and one time only back here in the the US. He looked like it but I couldn't be certain. He was always with a big Coke paper cup whenever I saw him. One afternoon, while we were chatting on the front porch of the shack (vacation rental) he was letting to me, I asked him what he was drinking. He said, "Johnnie Walker." He was a retired top gun fighter pilot.
You call this religion?

Old 01-29-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You call this religion?

No, he's an atheist. As cb said, he could also be an alcoholic being a fighter pilot and having access to free liquor. It's the same with the navy and their tradition with rum.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Indians can be notorious alcoholics. Johnie Walker Red (or is it black the better?) is the holy grail. Fighter pilots are ALL alcoholics, mostly because they had free access to liquor in the armed forces. Most of India was dry for a long time. Not anymore. The sight of an alcoholic up close is not pretty, Indian or American.

You could be right about fighter pilots being alcoholics. Their profession takes a terrible toll on the psyche. They live on the edge all the time even when not operating in contested airspace. Imagine having to land on a moving runway of an aircraft carrier at night in the dark with a full bomb load. It does take character to deal with that kind of stress. How does this relate to spirituality? To me, spirituality has to do with freedom from stress (i.e. suffering).

Old 01-30-2023, 08:38 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Also, atheists are hardly barred from 12-step programs. One does not need to believe in a literal higher power to have the serenity to accept things one cannot change, the courage to make changes within one’s own control, and the wisdom to know the difference. Some meetings have cultures where belief in a higher power is paramount to recovery. Many meetings do not have such overbearing expectations.

I know that some people are critical of 12-step programs for a whole host of reasons (most of which have nothing to do with religion and spirituality). I have no dog in that fight, and I’m certainly thrilled for the people in my life who have found long-term success through these programs.

My wife has a lot of addiction in her father’s family (of the four siblings, only one has lived a life free of substance abuse). It’s interesting because I don’t think her paternal grandparents ever had those problems, although at least one great-grandfather on that side was an alcoholic.

Genetics, environment, life experiences. A whole number of things can influence one’s predisposition to addictive behaviors. Apart from ethnic and religious groups that abstain from alcohol entirely, Jews (of all levels of observance, including none at all) are the least likely to develop alcoholism, although Jews are not immune from alcoholism and there are certainly Jewish alcoholics. While I don’t know if I’d call him an alcoholic, my father has developed some problematic drinking habits in his later years.
That is really interesting. Never heard this before.

Old 01-30-2023, 11:52 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is really interesting. Never heard this before.
Same. Who conducted the study? Oh, let me guess...

Old 01-30-2023, 12:03 PM

9,335 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Same. Who conducted the study? Oh, let me guess...
It’s an extremely well-studied phenomenon and is succinctly explained in this Forward article (which cites external sources). If this upsets you because you dislike Jews, then I’m #sorrynotsorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality