Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 11:03 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

Much as I opposed violence as a youth, raised in the Friends Church (Quaker), God used violence to judge Israel, well as many other people of the world.
Matter of fact it took violence to remove Satan from heaven.
Fact it takes an act of violence to remove a tumor from one's body.
It is not appropriate for a Christian to take it upon himself to exact vengeance. "Vengeance is mine I will repay," saith the Lord I have lived by that all my life.
I cannot hold the world to this same standard not having the same relationship, so it is inappropriate to demand it of them.
A great many blunders are made mixing faith and politics trying to hold the world to Godly standards, and some, with a false sense of approval deceive them selves thinking to have God's approval, works that have only man's approval.
God is not on your side because your an American, or German, or Englishman, Klingon.......... But that's the way the propaganda is played for the sake of morale, not truth.
We like to think America is not as corrupt as other countries like Muslim terrorist that kill their own people, think again.
recent events prove otherwise. Must I elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 11:07 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not big on the use of YouTube videos either, but unfortunately more and more of our youth rely on them to learn what they want to learn. That said, not all opinion or facts communicated by way of YouTube are bogus. I watch YouTube videos about subjects that interest me (and music videos) all the time.

Point well taken, however, about learning and/or knowing what is bogus and what is not...

"Easier said than done."
You Tube videos are just as valid as some posts on City Data

Old 02-15-2023, 11:37 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
CB????? Who are you referring to?
Oops! Thanks! Typo has been fixed.

Cheers until perhaps again tomorrow...

Old 02-15-2023, 01:26 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Those are social matters involving all people; not political matters. You're acting like they're the same, so an excuse to dive into politics and the division that comes from siding with one party or the other. Your anti-Biden post could have talked about age (too old of age) of presidents as a general matter, without naming and belittling him. Quakers are to have high standards of ethics, and be distinguished from worldly groups/religions who espouse politics.
Quakers are humans. As such just as imperfect.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:48 PM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Those are social matters involving all people; not political matters. You're acting like they're the same, so an excuse to dive into politics and the division that comes from siding with one party or the other. Your anti-Biden post could have talked about age (too old of age) of presidents as a general matter, without naming and belittling him. Quakers are to have high standards of ethics, and be distinguished from worldly groups/religions who espouse politics.
How are those issues like abolition not political and involving all people?

How is the "Quaker Party" that controlled the Pennsylvania government for a century not political?

I am not "anti-Biden" as I voted for him and would do so again. I just think 86 years old isn't ideal for a leader, which is what his age will be at the end of a 2nd would be term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
certainly a person can and does hold whatever personal individual beliefs they choose to hold. I find it interesting to read that "Quakerism has no formal theology, no body of religious dogma, no unique sacred scriptures, no written creed. Traditional Quaker worship does not involve a minister, priest, or other religious leader. There is no liturgy. There are no crucifixes or other religious images in Quaker Meetinghouses or homes."

given that, then it follows that statements about the NT and the OT are part a person's own set of individual chosen personal beliefs, and not part of Quakerism. because there is no religious dogma and there is no formal theology in Quakerism. So there is no stance on the NT and OT at all in Quakerism.

From Religious Society of Friends, Quakers, Quakerism has no formal theology

Also interesting to read "They did not see the Bible as the primary source of authority. Instead, Quakers believed that they could have direct access to the Divine through prayer and meditation."
I also don't see my beliefs opinions on religion to be the only worthy ones. I see all religions as a branch on the same tree that is God.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:49 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
I do oppose war. I always have. The very idea of literally killing someone or blowing up their home to own land (for example) has horrified me since I was tiny.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:22 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
That’s more of an Anabaptist philosophy, although even that no longer holds firmly true in many Mennonite circles.

I didn’t take her post to mean, “Let’s step back from the ways of those vicious and bloodthirsty Jews” (which would certainly be problematic and is sometimes the underlying sentiment of such statements).

Quaker institutions have traditionally been safe havens for Jews to the point that the student bodies of their prestigious primary and secondary schools are often plurality Jewish. I’m not a fan of religious primary or secondary-affiliated education of any sort (I’m not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with it; it’s just not for me and my family). But I’d be open to such a Quaker school if we ended up in a lousy school district and had the cash to shell out.
That's a good point. As a words person, I'm a long-time fan of John McWhorter, the linguist, now a professor at Columbia University and the host of the podcast Lexicon Valley, but who I first knew as the author of The Power of Babel.

McWhorter is a Black man who was educated in the Philadelphia Quaker school system. He says he grew up observing Jewish customs because so many of his classmates in the Friends' school system were Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality