Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:35 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
But we could probably find common ground that there are at least too many unnecessary wars...perhaps? Maybe even that we spend too much money on military including foreign military bases while we let our poor go unattended to in a way that our religious teachings shouldn't allow.
And yet you've started a number of recent threads in the Politics forum that could be considered divisive. How can you act to oppose war, but then seem to stir up "wars" or battles between the two political parties? There's a disconnect that you might be missing. If you really value Jesus, they'll you'll be consistent, even across different areas of the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 10:39 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
As Eisenhower said we are not spending our money alone. We are spending the genius of our scientists, the sweat of our laborers, and the hopes of our children.

You know what could also help the economy? Building schools, houses, hospitals, and doing cancer research or other innovations instead of finding new ways to kill each other.

Jesus himself was a protestor and he said that quote at trial meaning to not focus on worldly things but your spiritual self.

The old testament is undone by the new testament.
I wish more christians believed the bolded.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I wish more christians believed the bolded.
I second that. It makes no sense to try to value and consider both, as they are nearly opposite approaches. The Jews understandably don't read or follow what constitutes the NT. By the same logic, it doesn't add up that Christians read and follow the OT.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:10 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
And yet you've started a number of recent threads in the Politics forum that could be considered divisive. How can you act to oppose war, but then seem to stir up "wars" or battles between the two political parties? There's a disconnect that you might be missing. If you really value Jesus, they'll you'll be consistent, even across different areas of the forum.
No doubt going into the P&OC forum is no way to avert war!

Old 02-14-2023, 12:27 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
???
so then that means the New Testament is undone by the Qur'an

you're good with that, right?
that is a sincere question. so you can really think about what is posted above.

you = generic you, anyone, readers
Generic me, here. The biggest error in the use of so-called Holy Books has been the refusal to even consider alternate interpretations or other views about God usually using the terms heresy or apostasy. The Torah is indisputably inspired by God, IMO, as is the flexibility of spiritual interpretations in the Hebrew language. Islam at least acknowledges the commonality of "people of the book," but the retention of primitive barbaric interpretations and understanding remains a complete enigma to me. The unwillingness to acknowledge that obvious aspect of the primitive interpretations is inexplicable to me.

Old 02-14-2023, 12:59 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
As Eisenhower said we are not spending our money alone. We are spending the genius of our scientists, the sweat of our laborers, and the hopes of our children.

You know what could also help the economy? Building schools, houses, hospitals, and doing cancer research or other innovations instead of finding new ways to kill each other.

Jesus himself was a protestor and he said that quote at trial meaning to not focus on worldly things but your spiritual self.

The old testament is undone by the new testament.
I don't think the old testament is undone, but the parables and context so obscure, we misunderstand the message. Take for instance, Genesis, psalms, beatitudes (not just the Sermon on the Mount ones), how could they be wrong?

Old 02-14-2023, 01:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
How can we teach our children that violence is not the answer in their own lives, when we endorse a government that is so quick to use violence to handle its own disputes?...
There will always be wars, as long as mankind has war in its heart. Government exists to maintain continuity in our lives, free from chaos. To support a government is not to support war, but to support the bulwark against chaos.

To stand against war is feeble, one can only stand against one's own inner battles to resist the outward battles. One cannot stop others from fighting, that is their job.

You can always be a conscientious objector in times of war.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:29 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't think the old testament is undone, but the parables and context so obscure, we misunderstand the message. Take for instance, Genesis, psalms, beatitudes (not just the Sermon on the Mount ones), how could they be wrong?
The beatitudes are fine in preparing for the next life (for the sake of the discussion presuming that there is a next life), but not all are so wise for this life.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:24 PM

1,752 posts, read 754,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
How exactly was I divisive in the politics forum? I sincerely believe that I was respectful and polite.

Is there not a difference between respectfully expressing beliefs and violence causing deaths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
???
so then that means the New Testament is undone by the Qur'an

you're good with that, right?
that is a sincere question. so you can really think about what is posted above.

you = generic you, anyone, readers
That is an equally valid belief as mine that the New Testament undoes the Old Testament.

My religious beliefs are not necessarily any better or worse than other religions or lack thereof's beliefs.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
How exactly was I divisive in the politics forum?
You started one in which you said Biden was too old. That's putting you on one side; not neutral.

The Quaker position would be to not support politics, just as much as not supporting war.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-14-2023 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality