Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 09:27 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The Quaker position would be to not support politics, just as much as not supporting war.
That’s more of an Anabaptist philosophy, although even that no longer holds firmly true in many Mennonite circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
when a person is secure in their own beliefs in their own path, there is no need to attack or nullify or seek to destroy other belief systems.
when a person has respect and regard for all paths for all people for all faiths, there is no need to obliterate attack or destroy any of them.

i do not see respect and regard for others in what was posted
I didn’t take her post to mean, “Let’s step back from the ways of those vicious and bloodthirsty Jews” (which would certainly be problematic and is sometimes the underlying sentiment of such statements).

Quaker institutions have traditionally been safe havens for Jews to the point that the student bodies of their prestigious primary and secondary schools are often plurality Jewish. I’m not a fan of religious primary or secondary-affiliated education of any sort (I’m not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with it; it’s just not for me and my family). But I’d be open to such a Quaker school if we ended up in a lousy school district and had the cash to shell out.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-15-2023 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 10:04 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Generic me, here. The biggest error in the use of so-called Holy Books has been the refusal to even consider alternate interpretations or other views about God usually using the terms heresy or apostasy. The Torah is indisputably inspired by God, IMO, as is the flexibility of spiritual interpretations in the Hebrew language. Islam at least acknowledges the commonality of "people of the book," but the retention of primitive barbaric interpretations and understanding remains a complete enigma to me. The unwillingness to acknowledge that obvious aspect of the primitive interpretations is inexplicable to me.
Can you explain how or why you consider the Torah "indisputably inspired by God" and not the Koran? Or do you think they are both inspired by God? Which holy books are inspired by God? Which are not, and why do you think so?

I'd be very interested to know, since in more cases than not, I find their commonalities more indicative they are inspired by man and not a god.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
You started one in which you said Biden was too old. That's putting you on one side; not neutral.

The Quaker position would be to not support politics, just as much as not supporting war.
That's a position I don't understand. At all.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This sounds unnecessarily harsh. I hardly think QB would try to obliterate or attack other faiths. C'mon.

It would have been better to read, "In the Friends' tradition", or even, "I personally believe" before "the OT was undone by the NT". Even though most Jews are quick to point out that it's not the "OT" to them, I can see where it would come across as dismissive of the Jewish holy scriptures.

A person with four decades of living on the one you are reprimanding might want to take the opportunity to kindly teach rather than snarl when it's unlikely no offense was meant. When YOU were 21, you did not even yet know you were Jewish and probably did not yourself even know what might one day be offensive to the self you are now.

Of all the denominations of Christianity, Quakers/Friends are probably the least likely to denigrate another religion intentionally.

In general, I do wish that more posters would preface their statements with some version of "I believe" rather than stating their belief as fact.
I was thinking/feeling the same way...

Lots of unjustified criticism of what QB had in mind or intended.

"I believe" this, and I also think it's a fact...

Old 02-15-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Allrighty then so back to discussing how we can all work together to oppose war!
We can all very easily and readily oppose war. It's just the preventing of war that no amount of "lip service" will accomplish.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
It was in reference to a Biden 2nd term...if he runs and wins....he'd be 86 at the end of his 2nd term. I feel that it would be better to have someone younger than 86 as president. Yes, I was advocating that position, but I did not challenge a single pro-Biden 2nd termer. I respectfully let them comment without me offering a rebuttal.

I don't see the harm in that.

Not all Quakers are Voluntaryists. Otherwise we wouldn't have helped with abolition, women's suffrage, black suffrage, and war protests among other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv-XXb5Ckvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vetUYhb4is

I did not intend it that way. I apologize for upsetting so many people.
Don't let 'em get under your skin like that QB! You are not by any means alone when you express the wish that Biden were not so old and/or that we had younger people in positions of leadership in government. You have as much right to your political opinions as anyone else, and nothing keeps anyone from commenting their opinions in response to yours. Nothing to apologize for!

It's not always appropriate to apologize instead of using your backbone to push back against unjustified criticism...

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-15-2023 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-15-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
^ Modern YouTube videos are no justification for changing / disregarding centuries of traditional Quaker values.

Bogus is bogus. Putting something on YouTube neither gains it importance nor accuracy.
I'm not big on the use of YouTube videos either, but unfortunately more and more of our youth rely on them to learn what they want to learn. That said, not all opinion or facts communicated by way of YouTube are bogus. I watch YouTube videos about subjects that interest me (and music videos) all the time.

Point well taken, however, about learning and/or knowing what is bogus and what is not...

"Easier said than done."

Old 02-15-2023, 10:21 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Is defense preferred to offense?

Are there "just" wars?

Is violence ever " good "?

Do our leaders have moral authority?
And if so, from who or what?

I don't know the answers.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:25 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Don't let 'em get under your skin like that CB! You are not by any means alone when you express the wish that Biden were not so old and/or that we had younger people in positions of leadership in government. You have as much right to your political opinions as anyone else, and nothing keeps anyone from commenting their opinions in response to yours. Nothing to apologize for!

It's not always appropriate to apologize instead of using your backbone to push back against unjustified criticism...
CB????? Who are you referring to?

Old 02-15-2023, 10:41 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Not all Quakers are Voluntaryists. Otherwise we wouldn't have helped with abolition, women's suffrage, black suffrage, and war protests among other things.
Those are social matters involving all people; not political matters. You're acting like they're the same, so an excuse to dive into politics and the division that comes from siding with one party or the other. Your anti-Biden post could have talked about age (too old of age) of presidents as a general matter, without naming and belittling him. Quakers are to have high standards of ethics, and be distinguished from worldly groups/religions who espouse politics.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-15-2023 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality