Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 11:40 AM

492 posts, read 143,249 times

Advertisements

Why must Ray video everything and put it on the tube of you? Ray sells things and wants money.
Ray loves mammon. You can buy his starter kit for $29.99. He has a store. He gets free advertising with his video's. Whatever he earns is tax free.

He is not the only one to do this. Most Christian so called Churches are commercialized. Many online Pastors write books and sell them. The Pre tribulation rapture is a religion in itself and everyone has a book to sell, conference to sell and whatever else they can make a dollar on. A certain lady was even selling Pre-tribulation Rapture kits for $30.

Ray Comfort does not do Christ any justice at all, he uses him for free advertising and sales. Woe to Ray Comfort and those like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 12:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
[quote=thrillobyte;64814469]Quaker, I don't see atheists going out of their way to push their non-belief in God on others except in defense of themselves when Christians try to push their Jesus beliefs on them. That should be typical. Of course in here this is a religious forum for sharing ideas so its bound to happen. In real life out there though it's not typical for an atheist to walk up to people and ask, "Pardon me, but have you learned that Jesus never lived; that he was a purely mythical creature?"
Then again, is it's not "typical" for religious people to walk up to someone and ask, "Pardon me, but have you learned that Jesus lived?"

Does it happen sometimes? Yes. But is it "typical"? Especially in THIS day and age?

Hardly. Of course, it's going to depend on where you live, among other factors. But the last time I ever had anyone come to my door, speaking of Jesus was in 1993.

Quote:
Atheists simply don't care what people do with their religious lives.
If *they* don't care, then what are YOU doing here?

Quote:
It's the Christians who are forever causing trouble with this stupid command to go out and preach the gospel.
No, it's not "Christians" who do this. It's certain sects of Christians who do this. Don't lump ALL Christians into ONE category.

Quote:
If Christians stayed on their side of the street and let everyone else be it'd be a much better world.
MOST of them do, exactly that. You once said that you were Catholic. At what point were you told to go out, knock on doors, and try to convince others to become Catholic?

My guess is ZERO.

And as an actual Catholic, you'd KNOW that.

Quote:
As I said and will probably say frequently for people who miss it: Jesus never said go out and preach the gospel to everyone. That was written in centuries later by corrupt churchmen who wanted to insure a steady flow of new adherents into the faith that they could control and who they could milk lots and lots of $$$$'s out of to insure their lavish lifestyle of palaces, opulent dining and women to share their beds. That's a part of the virus's life cycle--to perpetuate itself by infecting greater and greater numbers of people. That's how the church perpetuated itself and grew wealthy in the process.
Oh, puh-LEEZ. That wasn't what the first church was about.

Has it changed since then? Of COURSE.

The church started with CHRIST. Just because that some corrupted it since Christ, doesn't mean that the whole purpose of the church was to 'get money' from unsuspecting others.

By the way...the last time I contributed money to the church was about 2-3 years ago. Think "they're" keeping 'tabs' on me?

Old 02-01-2023, 12:23 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Folks, find someone that loves you like Thrill hates Christianity. Not really sure what the issue here is, but man, this is a deep-seated hate.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:25 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Thrill,

Leaving Jesus aside for a moment, the human condition always and every time ends with death and destruction.

Do you dispute this?

Old 02-01-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Spread the Good News to all God's creatures. What Comfort (and most Christians) spread is not REMOTELY Good News!!!
What constitutes "Good News" is entirely relative to one's perception. If one anticipates an eternity of comfort and bliss, then any message that threatens that expectation will not be perceived as "good news".

Old 02-01-2023, 12:36 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
A certain lady was even selling Pre-tribulation Rapture kits for $30.

I recall during the rapture fever of 1988 (40 years after Israel statehood) and 1998 (Jubilee of Israel statehood) Christian enterprises were selling services to take care of pets that were left behind, also services to distribute the raptured person's household goods. Nobody told them that pets of Christian saved would be raptured along with the owners.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:38 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I was one of these people who were silent about proselytizing in person. I went around in mall parking lots sticking these stupid Chick tracts on cars. A few times mall guards said, "You can't do that." I finally asked myself, "What in the hell is a 55-year old man doing wandering around in a parking lot looking like an old religious crank passing around this crap?" I stopped for good after that. A few years later I got off my knees for the last time and never bent down in prayer again. I'd had it with Jesus and all this religious crap by the time I was 60 or so. I only wish it had happened 40 years earlier, my life might have been a better one.

Typical Christians are completely clueless that it was by design that Mark 16:15 reads, "Preach the gospel to all the world". That was written into Mark 400 years after Jesus supposedly lived by extremely clever churchmen who realized that they by themselves could never keep their young religion alive. They had to have the help of the masses getting out there and telling people about Jesus, hence the command in every gospel for their adherents to preach the gospel. It would have pointless for them to command that. They realized that it had to be Jesus commanding it that would get the masses off their lazy butts and start preaching so that's how they decided to do it. See what I mean about EVERYTHING the churchmen doing in the early days having nothing to do with saving souls but about insuring their survival along with the lavish lifestyle being a clergy heaped upon them? Pure greed. Jesus is nothing but a $$$$$'s-generating machine for these people, nothing else.
I didn’t realize you were in your sixties. I thought you were much younger (perhaps in your thirties or forties). I intend no disrespect, and I don’t mean to suggest you sound immature. There’s just a strong youthful edge to your posts, perhaps because you have had this transformative (and clearly reinvigorating) life experience.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:55 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Folks, find someone that loves you like Thrill hates Christianity. Not really sure what the issue here is, but man, this is a deep-seated hate.
And it's worse than that. His hate drives him incessantly - day in and day out - to rage against Christianity, and freedom of belief. He can't handle anyone thinking different from him in this area, and it burns him to the core.

The OP complains about Christians "ramming their beliefs down others' throats", while doing EXACTLY the same with his beliefs. Apparently he thinks he has a free-pass on mega-hypocrisy.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:13 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
[quote=Mink57;64815890]
Quote:
Quaker, I don't see atheists going out of their way to push their non-belief in God on others except in defense of themselves when Christians try to push their Jesus beliefs on them. That should be typical. Of course in here this is a religious forum for sharing ideas so its bound to happen. In real life out there though it's not typical for an atheist to walk up to people and ask, "Pardon me, but have you learned that Jesus never lived; that he was a purely mythical creature?"
Then again, is it's not "typical" for religious people to walk up to someone and ask, "Pardon me, but have you learned that Jesus lived?"

Does it happen sometimes? Yes. But is it "typical"? Especially in THIS day and age?

Hardly. Of course, it's going to depend on where you live, among other factors. But the last time I ever had anyone come to my door, speaking of Jesus was in 1993.

If *they* don't care, then what are YOU doing here?

No, it's not "Christians" who do this. It's certain sects of Christians who do this. Don't lump ALL Christians into ONE category.

MOST of them do, exactly that. You once said that you were Catholic. At what point were you told to go out, knock on doors, and try to convince others to become Catholic?

My guess is ZERO.

And as an actual Catholic, you'd KNOW that.

Oh, puh-LEEZ. That wasn't what the first church was about.

Has it changed since then? Of COURSE.

The church started with CHRIST. Just because that some corrupted it since Christ, doesn't mean that the whole purpose of the church was to 'get money' from unsuspecting others.

By the way...the last time I contributed money to the church was about 2-3 years ago. Think "they're" keeping 'tabs' on me?

Wow, it's difficult to reply to you, Mink. Not for lack of answers but for the sheer work of addressing the many points you make. Let me give it a shot.....again.

Christians are not going to walk up to people and ask, Pardon me but do you believe Jesus lived?" They already assume people believe Jesus lived. Asking if Jesus lived doesn't get souls saved. What they ask is, "Pardon me but do you know Jesus as your Lord and Savior" or "Pardon me, but are you saved?" That's their schtick.

I don't see it happening as much as it did in the 20th century. I believe this is due to a number of things:

1. numbers of Christians are plummeting as Christians walk away from the faith
2. Internet is exposing the corruption and untruths that Christianity was founded on
3. Christians getting more lazy
4. survival is getting more expensive, people using proselytizing time to work to earn more money to pay higher bills

What am I doing here: I'm here to warn naive greenhorns thinking of joining Christianity to not flush their lives down a rat hole and instead go out and have all the fun they possibly can. This is the only life they're going to get. I'm telling them, "Don't squander your life on a mythical being."

Pre 325 CE Christianity may have been doing a lot of good when it was just a backwater nothing religion. After Constantine when he made the church very powerful that's when they turned to the dark side and started chasing the $$$$'s.

The church didn't start with Christ because he never lived. The church started with Paul traveling around promoting a celestial being he claimed to have had visions of. During Paul's time it didn't even remotely occur to people that Jesus was a living person.

Well, if you don't tithe then good for you. But you know if nobody tithed then the churches would have no money to operate and they'd shut down.

Old 02-01-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:
What am I doing here: I'm here to warn naive greenhorns thinking of joining Christianity to not flush their lives down a rat hole and instead go out and have all the fun they possibly can. This is the only life they're going to get. I'm telling them, "Don't squander your life on a mythical being."
I asked you this is another thread, and I don't believe I received an answer.

Why do you perceive living the Christian life as flushing their life down a rat hole?

Could you elaborate on how exactly living a Christian life is "wasting" one's life? What is a Christian missing out on that he could experience if he renounced Christianity? How is the life of a non-Christian more fulfilling than that of a Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality