Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 03:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times

Advertisements

What does this expression mean? "The ship has left the harbor..." I'm asking for a religious, spiritual meaning here.

This is what I found online, on a Christian page.

Here is the link/the source.
ignoma.com/en/magazine/christian-symbols-and-their-meanings/

And here is their meaning for the word "ship".

Ship

Ships represent the human journey through life and the passage to eternity after death. At the beginning of life, people leave the safe harbour to cross the sometimes stormy seas (life) in the safety of the ship (faith) and eventually return to the harbour (eternity).

English is not my mother language. In my mind, "The ship has left the harbor..." is like "You are safe with God now..."

What do you think? What comes to mind?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 06:11 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
What does this expression mean? "The ship has left the harbor..." I'm asking for a religious, spiritual meaning here.

Ship

Ships represent the human journey through life and the passage to eternity after death. At the beginning of life, people leave the safe harbour to cross the sometimes stormy seas (life) in the safety of the ship (faith) and eventually return to the harbour (eternity).

English is not my mother language. In my mind, "The ship has left the harbor..." is like "You are safe with God now..."

Thanks.
You could say the "ship" is our soul. When it comes time for our passing, the ship sails up to the next world aka the spirit world aka Heaven/Hell. For those who believe in God, you will definitely be closer to the one who dearly loves us.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:10 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post

Ship

Thanks.
I think the meaning depends on where do you see yourself in scene?

Are you on the harbor or on the ship?

Old 02-15-2023, 07:21 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
in my mind, when i hear the phrase "that ship has sailed" it means an opportunity has passed and is no longer available.
that may be more of a secular view, though

Old 02-15-2023, 08:13 AM

I was talking in English to a nun, about my spiritual life/progress. I'm not going to comment here about our private conversation but she seemed pleased toward the end, and finally asked me cheerfully :"So the ship has left the harbor, isn't it?" And I said:"Yes!" without even thinking. And then we said "Good bye" and that was it.

I was familiar with this idiom, as comment # 4 mentioned here, "missed opportunity". That's why I got confused. That's why I came here on the Spirituality Forum to ask you.

I'm overthinking this. I guess I was correct in my initial interpretation, go with God, be with God, you are with God...or something like that.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:27 AM

here are some interpretations from a more spiritual leaning:

"boat--Symbolizes a positive, sustaining state of consciousness that prevents one from sinking into a negative condition, and bears up the mind" and this "Boats can represent a journey of self-discovery, a safe harbor, or a fresh start". and this "Crossing the sea can be viewed as being symbolic of making the journey across life; therefore, a boat can be seen as that which enables us to make such a journey, whether it be faith, education, desire, curiosity, or any other such motivation."

source and here and here

Old 02-15-2023, 08:35 AM

one of my favorite things i ever heard, was when i asked what do i do when i feel like there is me in my tiny boat going through life and the waters of life are churning and turbulent and stormy and tossing my boat this way and that, what then what do i do?

that was over 40 years ago (I'm 64 now) and the response i got has stayed with me ever since and i absolutely love it. I was told "You simply lay down in the bottom of your boat and take a rest." even now when i say this to myself it brings me the greatest joy, calm, peace, and relaxation. i can let things swirl around me, but i do not have to be dragged under by them or wail in despair. i can simply lay down and take a rest in my tiny boat.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:43 AM

Thank you very much, T. I appreciate your comments. And sharing that beautiful and comforting message from the divine. Just lovely.

All the best.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:46 PM

77 posts, read 18,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
in my mind, when i hear the phrase "that ship has sailed" it means an opportunity has passed and is no longer available.
that may be more of a secular view, though
That's what came to mind for me also. I never heard of any other variation, so had no comment to make on her opening post.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:52 PM

77 posts, read 18,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
one of my favorite things i ever heard, was when i asked what do i do when i feel like there is me in my tiny boat going through life and the waters of life are churning and turbulent and stormy and tossing my boat this way and that, what then what do i do?

that was over 40 years ago (I'm 64 now) and the response i got has stayed with me ever since and i absolutely love it. I was told "You simply lay down in the bottom of your boat and take a rest." even now when i say this to myself it brings me the greatest joy, calm, peace, and relaxation. i can let things swirl around me, but i do not have to be dragged under by them or wail in despair. i can simply lay down and take a rest in my tiny boat.
That's fine I suppose. Just never watch the movie Jaws. If you do, you'll want a BIGGER boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality