Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2023, 04:54 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It did not happen when I prayed to God in that same manner, "letting go and letting God", as the popular saying goes. When I stopped seeking "outside help", or believing in God as a "Person" of sorts to whom I could petition for relief or comfort or guidance as is done in the Christian tradition, life went better, there was less despair at the feeling that my petitions went unheard, and the "coincidences" were more apparent.
So your path may not be prayer, yours might be trusting yourself. Or something to that effect.

I personally think prayer is on my path because I lean only on myself so much and ai am supposed to learn to give up control more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 04:58 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So your path may not be prayer, yours might be trusting yourself. Or something to that effect.

I personally think prayer is on my path because I lean only on myself so much and ai am supposed to learn to give up control more.
Me too

Old 02-18-2023, 05:43 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

That's a thought.

I have always had to lean on myself, and even moreso, had others leaning on me, so I maybe that is what I hoped for in Christianity. Someone to call out to, to lean on, to fill up what gets drained from me by taking care of everybody else.

I suppose the answer was too bad so sad, take care of it all on your own, and the final message is that I am to accept that. And I shall! I find myself lapsing into prayer out of habit sometimes, but I am training myself to stop doing that.

I can still hold to synchronicity outside of Christianity, though. There is something to it, I believe, and perhaps by removing the idea of God from my life, I will be better positioned to employ it.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a thought.

I have always had to lean on myself, and even moreso, had others leaning on me, so I maybe that is what I hoped for in Christianity. Someone to call out to, to lean on, to fill up what gets drained from me by taking care of everybody else.

I suppose the answer was too bad so sad, take care of it all on your own, and the final message is that I am to accept that. And I shall! I find myself lapsing into prayer out of habit sometimes, but I am training myself to stop doing that.

I can still hold to synchronicity outside of Christianity, though. There is something to it, I believe, and perhaps by removing the idea of God from my life, I will be better positioned to employ it.
I don't think the answer for you is too bad so sad. Trusting yourself doesn't mean you should never be able to lean on others.

I just believe we all have different things we learn during our lives. My situation doesn't mean yours has to be the direct opposite, or even related. I'm not an expert or anything.

Your intuition is a gift. It literally gives you things.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:03 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I don't think the answer for you is too bad so sad. Trusting yourself doesn't mean you should never be able to lean on others.

I just believe we all have different things we learn during our lives. My situation doesn't mean yours has to be the direct opposite, or even related. I'm not an expert or anything.

Your intuition is a gift. It literally gives you things.
No, I didn't say that. Your statement about yourself just served as a jumping off point for my thoughts, and thanks for that!

You also misunderstood what I said about leaning on others. What I said was that was what I think I hoped to find through Christianity, which I was raised in and returned to several times over my life, seeking, I realize, something or someone to lean on. I mistakenly believed (hoped?) I could find that in God. My point was that I understand now that there is no one for me to lean on. Not God, not people. My destiny is to be the leanee, not the leaner. . It has just taken a lifetime to come to accept that.

Yes, intuition is a gift. I am grateful for it.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:27 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
At what point do we pray, and stop believing that the answer to our prayers is "just coincidence"?

At what point do we pray, and really, truly believe that we received an answer to our prayers..

...and it's not some 'happenstance' thing that happened?

What SAY you?
Seems to me that so many believe that IF they pray, they're supposed to get an answer
immediately...or, it's 'no deal' in their minds.

AND, it's supposed to be the answer that they want, the WAY they want it.

When did Jesus ever say that?

I get answers to my prayers all the time. Not the way i wanted...not in the time I wanted 'it', whatever 'it' was....

And it's not by some 'coincidence'''; it's often specific.

Don't know why it doesn't happen for other folks...
When you empirically demonstrate that prayed-for eventualities happen at a greater frequency than that at which they would otherwise occur (ie, a control group).

Until then, it's no different than the person who thinks they see efficacy in sacrificing a chicken to the orishas.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:58 PM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
the only "control group" that matters, and the single one person who is able to determine the effect of prayer in their life, is the person who prays.

no one else is qualified to evaluate. no one else's opinion matters.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
When you empirically demonstrate that prayed-for eventualities happen at a greater frequency than that at which they would otherwise occur (ie, a control group).

Until then, it's no different than the person who thinks they see efficacy in sacrificing a chicken to the orishas.
Maybe God refuses to quantify it.

Think about it.

Think about someone who says she loves you.

And you answer that if she can prove it to you quantitatively then you will believe her, and further, she must give you everything you ask for, immediately. Otherwise she is either a liar, evil, weak, or just plain fake.

Does she respond by hurrying to grab your slippers, doing an exotic dance for you and then hurrying to cook your favorite foods, then spending the night setting up the parameters for an experiment that will read off for you changes in her brainwaves and respiration when she thinks of you?

Or does she laugh and give you the bird?

Anyone half-sane would do the latter.

What if God doesn't want to jump and dance for you to "prove" His love? You sure don't want to jump and dance for Him to prove yours.

Old 02-19-2023, 04:46 AM

16,771 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Maybe God refuses to quantify it.

Think about it.

Think about someone who says she loves you.

And you answer that if she can prove it to you quantitatively then you will believe her, and further, she must give you everything you ask for, immediately. Otherwise she is either a liar, evil, weak, or just plain fake.

Does she respond by hurrying to grab your slippers, doing an exotic dance for you and then hurrying to cook your favorite foods, then spending the night setting up the parameters for an experiment that will read off for you changes in her brainwaves and respiration when she thinks of you?

Or does she laugh and give you the bird?

Anyone half-sane would do the latter.

What if God doesn't want to jump and dance for you to "prove" His love? You sure don't want to jump and dance for Him to prove yours.
If this alleged god is going to behave as if it does not exist, then we have no reason to believe this god exists.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:01 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
then that is your belief.

however many, many, many others have abundant and ample reason to recognize the the benefits of prayer and the existence of divinity.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 02-19-2023 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality