Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 05:41 AM

160 posts, read 146,570 times

Advertisements

This is moreso for those who believe in waiting until marriage to have sex. But, without resorting to metaphysical or supernatural claims. For example, don't say because God said so or because that's what the Bible says. This is not to argue who's right. I'm moreso interested in the reasons or arguments as to why one should wait.

There's one particular issue I have in mind. Knowing your partner's libido or sex is drive is important. If you wait until marriage to have sex, you won't know if your partner has a high or low sex drive. What if you're both on opposite ends? Shouldn't you know if you're sexually compatible before being married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 06:29 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenfire88 View Post
This is moreso for those who believe in waiting until marriage to have sex. But, without resorting to metaphysical or supernatural claims. For example, don't say because God said so or because that's what the Bible says. This is not to argue who's right. I'm moreso interested in the reasons or arguments as to why one should wait.

There's one particular issue I have in mind. Knowing your partner's libido or sex is drive is important. If you wait until marriage to have sex, you won't know if your partner has a high or low sex drive. What if you're both on opposite ends? Shouldn't you know if you're sexually compatible before being married?
Libido is NOT always consistent. One can be 'high drive' in the beginning and become 'low drive'...or even 'NO drive' after some time.

And since we KNOW that libido isn't consistent, basing a marriage on sexual "compatibility" is kind of useless.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:29 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Why do you feel that it's important to know this information?

Also; if it is important to one or more partners in the prospective marriage, one would presume that they would have talked about it before marriage.

"Sexual compatibility" is a joke. If one party has a male sex organ and the other party has a female sex organ, then they are compatible.

Just practically speaking, marriage is about dying to self for the sake of the spouse. The partner with the high sex drive should be always willing to refrain from sex for the sake of the other, and the partner with the low sex drive should be always willing to engage in sex for the sake of the other.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:

Because God commands it. That's a good enough reason.

And again, this whole "we gotta have sex to see if we're compatible" is nonsense. If one is male and the other female, you're compatible. I have never seen a marriage where both people in it were in agreement on the amount of sex they had. Almost every sitcom I've ever watched with a married couple has running jokes about it.

That said, that's where pre-marital counseling comes in. It's perfectly acceptable to discuss this stuff ahead of time.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:57 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times
^ the answers given above, plus the honeymoon will be a little more fun without a toddler already in tow!

Old 02-16-2023, 08:18 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:

Marriage and sex are not the same. The two should not be confused.
Marriage is a sacrament, without the Christian connotation, a sacred act. A contract with the divinity as a witness. Hindu marriages are performed with fire as witness. It is for the purpose of procreation, entering the state of householders, and accepting the responsibilities as participants of a civil society.
If the focus is on matching libidos, then you have a different mindset than one for a contract of marriage. Why marry? Consensual sex is legal.
Many people live together without marriage and are happy that way. However a marriage certificate is a valuable document, to file for divorce, alimony, inheritance, custody etc. These have nothing to do with a sacred contract with the Divinity. Two different realms.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:53 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
All of the answers so far are excellent and I agree with all.

As someone who waited until marriage, I know that sex is very emotionally bonding. It's supposed to be that way. If two people have sex before marriage, and then break off the relationship, they have done damage to themselves and each other whether they realize it or not. And even if a couple is planning to marry, until they have actually made that commitment before God and witnesses, it is not the appropriate time. You make the promise before God to love and serve the other person as long as you both live, first.

Everything else falls into place. I agree there is really no such thing as sexual incompatibility.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:59 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Shouldn't you know if you're sexually compatible before being married?
There is more to sex than just intercourse.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:13 AM

160 posts, read 146,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Libido is NOT always consistent. One can be 'high drive' in the beginning and become 'low drive'...or even 'NO drive' after some time.

And since we KNOW that libido isn't consistent, basing a marriage on sexual "compatibility" is kind of useless.
It's true that sex drive can change as time passes. But, I think it's ideal if you both more or less have the same libido before getting married, and the only way to know that is to have sex before marriage. Sexual compatibility is not the only thing to figure out before marriage, it's one of many.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
But, I think it's ideal if you both more or less have the same libido before getting married, and the only way to know that is to have sex before marriage.
So "talking", as in "conversation" just isn't a thing, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality