Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 06:22 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
I have heard many times that the Bible is a very wise book. I decided to read it and learn wisdom. But it is very hard for me to read it because it has no respect for women. They talk about them very disparagingly. I think it's all because men are stronger physically. I don't understand why nature gave strength to men when women need it more.
All religious texts are hard to read when they refer to women and their bodies. Rather than disrespect, I believe women cause fear. They create, develop, and deliver a fully formed human being out of their own body for godsake! Forget about a rib, they feed this human with their own body. And then they rise up and go work in the field. This is strength and resilience beyond imagination.
Several traditions do acknowledge this power. The creative power of Lord Shiva is Shakti, a female form. Without Shakti Shiva is a dead body. After all there is no Jesus without Mary. Mary deserves more veneration than what western Christianity gives her.

Last edited by cb2008; 03-08-2023 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 06:29 AM

524 posts, read 246,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are some women attracted to New Age spirituality because they find the Abrahamic faiths misogynistic?
At the risk of being pedantic, I have always felt that “New Age” is a misnomer. Yes, the philosophy/movement came about in the 1970s, but most of the practices themselves predate the Abrahamic religions.

Anyway, one of the draws of Earth-based spirituality is the way the cycles of Nature mirror a woman’s cycle, so on some level women tend to be naturally “in tune” with Nature.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:33 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
What we are witnessing now was written ~1,970 years ago in Timothy:

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.j 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money,k boastful, proud,l abusive,m disobedient to their parents,n ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous,o rash, conceited,p lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—5 having a form of godlinessq but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.r

6 They are the kind who worm their ways into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.t 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses,u so also these teachers opposev the truth. They are men of depraved minds,w who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men,x their folly will be clear to everyone.

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead,r and in view of his appearings and his kingdom, I give you this charge:t 2 Preachu the word;v be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebukew and encouragex—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine.y Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.z 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.a 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship,b do the work of an evangelist,c discharge all the duties of your ministry.

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering,d and the time for my departure is near.e 7 I have fought the good fight,f I have finished the race,g I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for meh the crown of righteousness,i which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that dayj—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.k
Check yourself and if you're doing any of that then stop it, Danny.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are some women attracted to New Age spirituality because they find the Abrahamic faiths misogynistic?
Have you asked any women?

Old 03-08-2023, 07:16 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
At the risk of being pedantic, I have always felt that “New Age” is a misnomer. Yes, the philosophy/movement came about in the 1970s, but most of the practices themselves predate the Abrahamic religions.

Anyway, one of the draws of Earth-based spirituality is the way the cycles of Nature mirror a woman’s cycle, so on some level women tend to be naturally “in tune” with Nature.
Agree with the bolded. While our bodies are differently equipped, our inner instrument is genderless “substance” and mirrors the cosmos. The original practice and philosophy attract men and women equally. Their responses may differ due to biology and circumstances.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:04 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is not very clear to me what New Age is. Vedanta, based on ancient texts of Hinduism, is also based on intuitive reasoning. Belief is based on intuition of a sound mind. If it was otherwise, it will not be belief.
I wonder if on the whole women are just more oriented towards spirituality. Perhaps not.
Eh, it's a catcha-all phrase for a lot of spiritual practices that are not really all that "new".

Old 03-08-2023, 09:06 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
This kind of reminds me...

A few months ago, my husband was looking at some article online, and he says to me "I'm going to ask you some questions, OK?" I said "sure".

1. "Do you like rocks?" "You know I do. You bought me a rock tumbler, and you know I'm always picking up rocks in the country. And you know I have a bunch of geology books" (Husband nods his head.)

2. "Do you like gardening?" "Yes, you know I do. You always give me money on Mother's Day to buy flowers and plants, and I just bought my aerogarden to grow herbs." (Husband nods his head)

3. "Have you had supernatural or paranormal experiences?" "Well, you KNOW I think this house might be haunted, and I told you about my astral travel experiences." (Husband nods his head)

4. "Do you like nature and seeing all the animals and birds?" "Sure" (Husband nods his head.)

"You're a witch" "Surely you're not surprised." (Husband nods his head.)
I would have answered all those questions the same way except that I do not have experience with astral travel.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:11 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Eh, it's a catcha-all phrase for a lot of spiritual practices that are not really all that "new".
I agree. I would say it's sort of a 'new realization' of old ideas, often with modern modifications.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I know that when my dad put me over his knee and started spanking me ..my mom stopped him.
(Actually, changed the whole power point in their marriage.)
Women have a mother inside them, I believe, they just CAN have a gentler side that SOMETIMES is more apparent in them.
Don't New Agey beliefs tend to think of God as Pure Love and not angry and punitive? Like Universalists?

Old 03-08-2023, 09:31 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
I have heard many times that the Bible is a very wise book. I decided to read it and learn wisdom. But it is very hard for me to read it because it has no respect for women. They talk about them very disparagingly. I think it's all because men are stronger physically. I don't understand why nature gave strength to men when women need it more.
Eh. I don't see the Bible disparaging women. Actually, the Bible reminds men, MANY times, to treat women well, because men, in their sinful nature, tend to try and diminish women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality