Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 02:15 PM

1,341 posts, read 653,183 times

Advertisements

Sticking to the topic....

Based on my own observation, the main reason people "run away" is because the discussion never ends. It usually becomes a "this is MY opinion on the evidence" discussion where one person has a different opinion versus the other person and they go back and forth arguing. Even the word "evidence" is argued upon. One person may say "this is the evidence that supports my opinion" but what they see as evidence, another person may not see as credible evidence.

So it all goes back to one's own personal views. Many people are VERY strong in their views meaning they are 100% convinced they know the truth and no one can change their opinion. Other people are more open-minded and are willing to bend their opinions on certain things based on the evidence presented.

There are also people who just don't care. They are comfortable and secure with their views, are living a good and happy life, and could care less if someone disagreed with them. Disagree with them? Think they are stupid? They don't care. They don't want to argue. They will listen to your arguments, smile, shrug their shoulders, and say ok.

Regarding the Old Testament, Christians also follow the NT. Seems like some people only focus on the OT and ignore the NT. I'm no expert on it so I can't really comment much on it.

Last edited by compwiz02; 03-12-2023 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2023, 02:17 PM

91 posts, read 24,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Learn to recognize echo chambers and then promptly leave them.
Ignorance is bliss and some people want to live in that bliss.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
There is no doubt about it ...I believe a Christian site should give a person a warning, with a reason.
Then, if they buck that warning...ok, bye.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:29 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324 View Post
The Jews misunderstood the prophesies..... that they wrote. OK.

Isaiah 7:14 is the perfect example that shows the gospel authors were either lying or ignorant, as it fails on so many levels.

1 - It's not Messianic. Regardless of the minority opinion of disaffected Jews for Jesus, the vast majority of Jewish scholars agree that a virgin birth was never an attribute of the Messiah.

2- There is no virgin even mentioned in the story. If Isaiah had meant to describe a virgin, he would have used the Hebrew word for virgin - bethulah - the same way he and others used it over and over again. Instead, he used the word almah, which does not mean a virgin. Further, his use of ha-almah indicates he was speaking about a specific almah. Which almah? By the tense of the verse "...the almah is with child..." He is plainly talking about a young woman present at the time, not some future event.

3- As the prophesy it really was - that before the child that was already in utero in the present, reached the age of understanding, this god would vanquish the enemies of King Ahaz - it utterly failed. Ahaz got his butt kicked.

So when the gospel authors decided to ignore the Messianic attributes provided by the Jews and add this one, they screwed up badly. I can understand why hearing a truth that contradicts what you were taught as a child would become tiresome. You have my sympathy.
You don't know what you are talking about and I've dealt with your kind before. You're not worth my time and attention.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:31 PM

91 posts, read 24,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You don't know what you are talking about and I've dealt with your kind before. You're not worth my time and attention.
Cool. Then you should just run away and ignore me. Your retreat is duly noted.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:37 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:

Mike Way does this every time he's cornered with the truth. It's his way to look tough as he knocks down a wall in the corner he's been back into to escape the conversation. Believe me, if I had a buck for every time he's said that to me....

Old 03-12-2023, 05:12 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Mike Way does this every time he's cornered with the truth. It's his way to look tough as he knocks down a wall in the corner he's been back into to escape the conversation. Believe me, if I had a buck for every time he's said that to me....
Hmmm, I thought it was just me that Mike didn't like.

Old 03-12-2023, 05:21 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Well, regarding the OTHER web sites, as much as I have had words with people here, and later admitted my wrongdoings, the moderators here do a much better job of moderating than on other forums. Things are also well organized here. I tried joining a football fan forum and it was such a disaster that I could not find or follow threads the next day
That being said, I have been BANNED FOR LIFE many times from the ChristianForums.com website, and am currently back on it just to prove a point, which is that online, in anonymity, self-professed Christians are some of the lowest people in cyber space.
Now remember , fans, the KingCat says that the measure of ones character is how well we treat others when we think no one is watching That should include behavior on sites like Christianforums.com, where I was banned once for pointing out the psycho-social and neurological symptoms of seizure disorders as relates to Paul, next for comparing Jesus to Buddha, and for suggesting that works are more important than paying lip service to beliefs. Add the 4th for creating a new screen name to circumvent the ban, and now I am on screenname profile Number 5 over there.

NOW To the original question. Christianity is NOT natural it is not a natural religion, such as say animism or spiritism, and Christian theology must be administered and enforced. Think "church discipline" which I have never encountered but heard about when a congregation harasses a member for expressing a belief that is contrary to ecclesiastical policy or doctrine. Christianity must be enforced, administered, spread through the sword (conquest, such as missionaries and conquistadors)

It is Very hard to defend, as true, something which is obviously fiction. It is IMPOSSIBLE to prove, and Impossible to demonstrate, and it lacks any evidence of having any real or true foundation. And when someone who is capable of actual thought and critical thinking is confronted with these facts, yes, their "beliefs" can crumble because they really have no evidence for what they believe.

And if you want to enjoy it in action, tune into any of the Sunday night atheist podcasts where believers call in and try to prove or give any evidence of their god their Jesus or their WHY of what they believe, and they fail every time.
They fail because there is not real and true foundation for their beliefs.
That being said, if someone takes personal comfort in what they believe and find that their lives are improved as a result, then as long as they are not hurting themselves or someone else, no big deal.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:54 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I have never been cornered. Not by you or by anyone else on the forum. I have limited patience with people like you and will not waste my time. You simply aren't worth it. Or to put it another way, to blazes with you.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:24 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have more respect for sites that just come out and say "Only Christians Allowed". I mean, they're cowards, but at least they recognize it.
Yes I agree it is cowardly, if they are not explicitly explaining their rules.
But you must remember that certain boards, the default position is that Christianity, or their particular brand of Christianity, is always RIGHT.
If they don’t want Atheism, or other denominations or religions participating on their site, then that is their prerogative.
But at least they should make it clear.
Most people don’t have time to read all the rules on a particular message board either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality