Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 07:41 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,792,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Yes I agree it is cowardly, if they are not explicitly explaining their rules.
But you must remember that certain boards, the default position is that Christianity, or their particular brand of Christianity, is always RIGHT.
If they don’t want Atheism, or other denominations or religions participating on their site, then that is their prerogative.
But at least they should make it clear.
Most people don’t have time to read all the rules on a particular message board either.
If they have time to read the boards, then they have time to read the rules of the boards.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:07 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
If they have time to read the boards, then they have time to read the rules of the boards.
Yes...and I suppose you read all that fine print at the bottom of every website before you use it. Do you use Facebook...read all their fine print? Etc.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:43 PM

4,858 posts, read 454,012 times
"Why are Christians so insecure in their faith?" That's the question posed in this thread. First of all, it's a loaded question. There's a put-down within the question itself. Surely that was intentional. Duly noted, from someone who is deliberately instigating, rather than inquiring. I did respond earlier, from one angle. Another perspective is that they're not insecure at all, they're just mostly unable to rationally explain their faith. Which is not the same thing as rationally, logically PROVING the existence of God. It can't be done by (mere) logic. By definition, God transcends logic; transcends the physical, observable world--- apart from the God-Man Christians believe in, Jesus of Nazareth. ... Although explaining Jesus' divinity is beyond me. I rather think it's a way of expressing our assertion that Jesus EMBODIES the Word, the Will of God. It's a lot easier for me to connect with Jesus via his HUMANITY, instead. I mean, I myself have no divine connection with him.

Sadly, the churches today--- even the legitimate ones--- are all about institutional survival. But that does not prevent me from honestly worshipping, together with everyone else in the congregation, presumably. Catechisms provide easily digested answers to believers' questions. They can be a crutch. You can use the catechism as an excuse not to THINK. Believing and thinking are not foreign to each other. To quote answers from a catechism to try to prove to non-believers that your belief is correct--- well, that's like a Martian talking to a fungo.

Old 03-13-2023, 05:12 AM

412 posts, read 137,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm not sure if the ^ site was the one that I participated in many years ago, but I was similarly banned either from that forum or from another forum for actually debating a particular topic under discussion. I can't even remember the topic. I was evidently seen as a threat since I was seen to be questioning the site party line, ...i.e., only those who are in agreement with our beliefs are allowed to participate. No debating allowed. So yes, there are any number of Christians that are insecure in their faith. And yes, it is cowardly when they become so afraid or unable to defend their beliefs, or, more likely, the beliefs of their particular denomination.
I am unfamiliar with that website. Still, I've noticed that when people often think or proclaim they are a threat to someone or something, the opposing party frequently views the offender as more of a nuisance than any threat.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:21 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
I'm not sure if the ^ site was the one that I participated in many years ago, but I was similarly banned either from that forum or from another forum for actually debating a particular topic under discussion. I can't even remember the topic. I was evidently seen as a threat since I was seen to be questioning the site party line, ...i.e., only those who are in agreement with our beliefs are allowed to participate. No debating allowed. So yes, there are any number of Christians that are insecure in their faith. And yes, it is cowardly when they become so afraid or unable to defend their beliefs, or, more likely, the beliefs of their particular denomination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I am unfamiliar with that website. Still, I've noticed that when people often think or proclaim they are a threat to someone or something, the opposing party frequently views the offender as more of a nuisance than any threat.
Yeah, that was probably it ...for those who hadn't noticed, I CAN be pretty annoying.

If I remember rightly it had to do with my supporting the gay community among a very hostile bunch of anti-gay Christian warriors who were there to do battle. I had no friends on that particular board. As I do here, I attempted to show that 'the Bible' doesn't condemn homosexuality per se. They simply would not buy this, and they got rid of me pretty quickly before I could corrupt anyone. I believe that it was a lifetime ban. No forgiveness on that particular forum.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
"Why are Christians so insecure in their faith?" That's the question posed in this thread. First of all, it's a loaded question. There's a put-down within the question itself. Surely that was intentional.
Simply observing that many Christians in someone's experience are insecure in their faith is not a put down. It's an observation. And depending exactly on what the OP meant by "insecure" I think it's a valid one.

I think the perception of a put down where none existed is actually an example of how Christians tend to be insecure.

Disagreement with, or failure to subscribe to a belief, is not an insult unless you choose to make it into one. In my experience, believers often take being unimpressed with what they are impressed with as a slap in the face. It is not. It is just that people don't like to be reminded that their cherished beliefs are not universally acclaimed and self-evident as they want to suppose that they are.

The OP was apparently posting arguments against Christianity on a Christian board. One can argue that Christians have a right to decide who gets to say what on their board, and that's technically correct. But at the same time, how is it a problem if someone states those views? It's because it makes some believers start do doubt their beliefs, and that could only be a problem if those beliefs are fragile and hard to coherently defend. Just sayin'.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:50 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
"Why are Christians so insecure in their faith?" That's the question posed in this thread. First of all, it's a loaded question. There's a put-down within the question itself. Surely that was intentional. Duly noted, from someone who is deliberately instigating, rather than inquiring. I did respond earlier, from one angle. Another perspective is that they're not insecure at all, they're just mostly unable to rationally explain their faith. Which is not the same thing as rationally, logically PROVING the existence of God. It can't be done by (mere) logic. By definition, God transcends logic; transcends the physical, observable world--- apart from the God-Man Christians believe in, Jesus of Nazareth. ... Although explaining Jesus' divinity is beyond me. I rather think it's a way of expressing our assertion that Jesus EMBODIES the Word, the Will of God. It's a lot easier for me to connect with Jesus via his HUMANITY, instead. I mean, I myself have no divine connection with him.

Sadly, the churches today--- even the legitimate ones--- are all about institutional survival. But that does not prevent me from honestly worshipping, together with everyone else in the congregation, presumably. Catechisms provide easily digested answers to believers' questions. They can be a crutch. You can use the catechism as an excuse not to THINK. Believing and thinking are not foreign to each other. To quote answers from a catechism to try to prove to non-believers that your belief is correct--- well, that's like a Martian talking to a fungo.
Great post.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:37 AM

11,101 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Real Christians are perfectly secure in their faith. Unfortunately, they are in the minority.

The vast amounts of bogus "Christians" and "churches" are very insecure, restless, noisy, and up to no good.

Big difference. But even Jesus indicated that there would be a wide path of the masses, and narrow path for those who will understand. It's typical of humanity in general.

It takes a bigger person to not knee-jerk react and jump aboard the hate bandwagon, whether pro-religion or anti-religion. What's needed is stepping outside of the circus, dropping the emotion, and using one's brain to get all information before assuming and coming to conclusions. Again, we have relatively few these days who are able to do that. The extremists on both sides do exactly the same, and yet yap at the mouth the most. Us vs them, is really "we together" as common pawns of dissonance.

Instead of (mental) freedom of thought and belief, we have (emotional) angst pollution.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-13-2023 at 10:50 AM..

Old 03-13-2023, 10:58 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Real Christians are perfectly secure in their faith. Unfortunately, they are in the minority.

The vast amounts of bogus "Christians" and "churches" are very insecure, restless, noisy, and up to no good.

Big difference. But even Jesus indicated that there would be a wide path of the masses, and narrow path for those who will understand. It's typical of humanity in general.

It takes a bigger person to not knee-jerk react and jump aboard the hate bandwagon, whether pro-religion or anti-religion. What's needed is stepping outside of the circus, dropping the emotion, and using one's brain to get all information before assuming and coming to conclusions. Again, we have relatively few these days who are able to do that. The extremists on both sides do exactly the same, and yet yap at the mouth the most. Us vs them, is really "we together" as common pawns of dissonance.

Instead of (mental) freedom of thought and belief, we have (emotional) angst pollution.
I don't really disagree. I imagine you'd define Real Christians[tm] as people with an accurate and mature understanding of the faith by your lights, but I would prefer to say something more like mature Christians with a considered viewpoint. They do exist. People who know the underpinnings of their faith, who don't make false or egotistical truth claims, who do not feel any need to impose their beliefs on anyone but themselves. With those folks I may not agree, but we can get along just fine. Live and let live. Too much of religious life however is obsessed with enforcing conformity on all comers, in seeing every failure to conform as an existential threat. That's the crux of it.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:12 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324 View Post
No, I get insulting when they demonstrate a complete lack of integrity by banning someone without the courage to give a reason.

And what kind of insecurity or lack of confidence in ones beliefs must exist for them to ban me - when all they had to do was ...... wait for it...... refute my claims - with evidence!

Presenting evidence - from the bible itself - is hardly being a bully.
Perhaps I misread your OP, but I don't think so. And IMO, you do have an aggressive tone in these two posts (I haven't read the entire thread), and perhaps you don't realize it.

I have to say that reading your OP and this reply to my response, I am reminded Matthew, chapter four. As Christ replied, so will I: "Satan, get thee hence."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality