Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 08:19 PM

1,293 posts, read 615,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Speaking of pompous...

The Tanakh is a Jewish book and Christians act like the Jews are too stupid to understand the "prophecies"...

Or they claim that Satan is blocking the Jewish scholars from understanding a book that they have studied and scrutinized for thousands of years.
Not really true. Again...this is where "one Christian does not represent all Christians" idea comes into play. There does seem to be a division between Christians and Jews but I have seen Christians and Jews putting effort into getting to know one another and learning about each other's beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 08:19 PM

18,183 posts, read 16,747,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Am I lying or am I telling the truth, comp? Yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Thrillo thinks he knows everything about Christianity.

You're dodging the question, Comp. Too afraid to answer it?

Old 04-08-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You don't have to claim to be a jerk to actually be a jerk either. I can tell the difference between being confident in what you post and being pompous. A conversation can either be respectful or straight out arrogant with everyone lashing out at each other. I've seen thrillo (as well as other people) in the latter.

I'll have a straightforward respectful conversation with you any day of the week, comp, if you're not as terrified of starting one as you are of answering my question in post #22.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I'm confident because I have studied Christianity, comp and everything I find points to Christianity having plied deceit every step of the way in its quest to stay alive. Search my posts. Point out a single instance I have every told a lie about Christianity. You cannot find one.

Search the OP. When Christians say Jesus was predicted in the OT they are being deceitful,

Mostly out of ignorance because they don't know anything about their religion beyond what their pastors tell them. None of them have studied Christianity, obviously because if they had they'd see immediately that Jesus was NEVER predicted in the OT--it's apologists that are putting these lies into their minds.

Look at Hosea 11:1-2. It CLEARLY says "Israel is my son and I called my son out of Egypt" in reference to the Exodus, not this phony claptrap about Jesus Mary and Joseph hightailing it out of Israel to escape Herod.

Alright, I'll make you happy Thrillo. I don't tell people that I know everything and I certainly do not act like I know everything like you do but to respond to your post. That's great that you studied Christianity but you are not very specific. Christianity is very very broad. What aspects of Christianity did you study? Did you get a degree in biblical studies? What is your background? What resources did you study?

When you say "they don't know anything", who is "they"? Not all Christians believe in the same thing. Who said Jesus was predicted in the Old Testament? Yes, I agree. Many people are gullible and follow their church leaders but that does not apply to all Christians.

I would have to spend time to searching your posts, time that I don't have at the moment. I am sure you have made many good points in your posts. So my response to your question is: I don't know yet.

Based on my own observations, it seems like you are sick and tired of a lot of Christians believe in false things. Many Christians are.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Look at Hosea 11:1-2. It CLEARLY says "Israel is my son and I called my son out of Egypt" in reference to the Exodus, not this phony claptrap about Jesus Mary and Joseph hightailing it out of Israel to escape Herod.

Quote:
Thrillo thinks he knows everything about Christianity. He spent 60 years of their life as a Christian and says he read a LOT of stuff and finally convinced himself that Jesus is a myth and God doesn't exist. Now Thrillo is on here ranting about Christians and telling everyone what he believes. I mean....kudos to Thrillo. but damn, Thrillo reminds me of those hardcore JWs who go out on the streets with loudspeakers shouting their beliefs of Jesus. Thrillo is online with a loudspeaker trying to make people believe Christians are stupid.

My apologies if Thrillo is a woman in real life. I'm assuming Thrillo is a guy.

I won't make a big deal out of this because it happens all too often when I confront a Christian with a simple yes-no question. I'm going to move on but I just want to point out something to you, dear readers.

Read the exchange above carefully. I asked Compwiz a straightforward question as respectfully as I could muster. No insults. No slights. Just a simple request for a simple yes or no.

Look at what he responded. "Thrill thinks he knows everything" and then goes into a long diatribe that contains NO response to my question that I can see.

Can I tell you good readers WHY compwiz refuses to give me a straight answer?

Because to answer it puts compwiz in checkmate.

If he says, "Yes" he is admitting that the verse doesn't speak about Jesus; it speaks about Israel. Therefore it's not a prophecy about Jesus and he is contradicting all Christian apologists.

But if he answers, "No" he knows that he is being deceitful by saying the Hosea verse IS about Jesus when clearly it's not, it's about Israel because it says so in black and white.

See why compwiz refuses to answer the question?

Old 04-08-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Alright, I'll make you happy Thrillo. I don't tell people that I know everything and I certainly do not act like I know everything like you do but to respond to your post. That's great that you studied Christianity but you are not very specific. Christianity is very very broad. What aspects of Christianity did you study? Did you get a degree in biblical studies? What is your background? What resources did you study?

When you say "they don't know anything", who is "they"? Not all Christians believe in the same thing. Who said Jesus was predicted in the Old Testament? Yes, I agree. Many people are gullible and follow their church leaders but that does not apply to all Christians.

I would have to spend time to searching your posts, time that I don't have at the moment. I am sure you have made many good points in your posts. So my response to your question is: I don't know yet.

Based on my own observations, it seems like you are sick and tired of a lot of Christians believe in false things. Many Christians are.

We must have posted at the same time, comp because your post #24 wasn't there when I posted #25.

I appreciate your willingness to respond, though I am at a loss to understand why you are undecided whether the Hosea is referring to Jesus or not. Do you see any mention of Jesus or a Messiah? Do you see any mention of Israel being God's son and God calling his son out of Egypt?

Let's put the matter to rest. I'm satisfied no Christian is willing to answer the question in a straightforward manner. It will always be, "I'm not sure" or "I don't know".

Old 04-08-2023, 10:01 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,832,515 times
Quote:
We must have posted at the same time, comp because your post #24 wasn't there when I posted #25.

I appreciate your willingness to respond, though I am at a loss to understand why you are undecided whether the Hosea is referring to Jesus or not. Do you see any mention of Jesus or a Messiah? Do you see any mention of Israel being God's son and God calling his son out of Egypt?

Let's put the matter to rest. I'm satisfied no Christian is willing to answer the question in a straightforward manner. It will always be, "I'm not sure" or "I don't know".
Well what if that's the legitimate answer? What if there are people in this world who don't pretend to know literally everything?

Old 04-08-2023, 10:27 PM

Let's take a look at another OT passage that Christian apologists try to pawn off as predicting Jesus:

Micah 5:2. Everybody has heard the infamous

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans[b] of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times.”

All apologists will say Micah 5:2 is about Jesus being born in Bethlehem.

It's NOT about Jesus being born in Bethlehem.

The gospel writers tried to make it the birthplace of Jesus. Why? It's pretty obvious. Because of "out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel" That's supposed to be Jesus, ruler of Israel at some future date.

But notice further down the passage in verses 5-6:

And he [Jesus] will be our peace
when the Assyrians invade our land
He [Jesus] will deliver us from the Assyrians
when they invade our land

and march across our borders."

Now anyone with a modicum of knowledge about ancient history knows that when Jesus was alive the Assyrians had been wiped out centuries earlier. It was the Romans who had invaded Israel and were occupying Israel when Jesus was born.

Did you catch why apologists will always rave about Micah 5:2 being about Jesus but won't touch verses 5 and 6 with a 10-foot pole?

So once again I ask:

Is the verse about Jesus when it clearly states Jesus will deliver Israel from the Assyrians?

Old 04-08-2023, 11:30 PM

1,440 posts, read 464,145 times
Before his passing, while living in Egypt with his family. Israel blessed his children and he knew of the Scepter, it's presence, origin and Heritage, as he passed it along to Judah, and then to the One to whom it belongs. King David looked to him as well and called him Lord.

I am thankful to know the one who is visual perfection, all the way to the Heart.

Last edited by chief scum; 04-08-2023 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2023, 02:09 AM

I avoid going too deep on biblical scripture since I am not an expert on scripture. I would just give my own interpretation of the scripture which may or may not be wrong. I've seen people give their interpretations of scripture and I respect and give kudos to those who are open to being wrong on their interpretations. A lot of people strongly assert their interpretation of scripture is 100%.

This is not a "cop out". I am not trying to hide anything or avoid answering any question. I genuinely believe that biblical interpretation can become very subjective and 5 people reading the same verse can have different points of view. There are verses that are very direct and easier to interpret. Others, not so much.

Quote:
Regarding this specific scripture since my response is requested, I have no idea who said Jesus, Mary, and Joseph are involved in Exodus. Exodus is the story of Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. Unless I am missing something, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph are not involved. So yes, I would agree that there is a connection to Exodus. Not sure why you'd have to get angry and say "phony claptrap". If someone has a different interpretation of the verse, I'd love to know their interpretation and why they interpret the verse in the way that they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality