Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 03:36 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,909,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Ha! The other graph was an error but I don't mind showing it because it supports my position but doesn't provide irrefutable proof God doesn't care about Christianity:

Hate to break it to you, but G-d cares about you.

And there is nothing you can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 04:01 PM

50,217 posts, read 23,838,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but G-d cares about you.

And there is nothing you can do about it.
I hate to break it to you, Lillie, but we don't believe that at all. And you have no evidence to that other than what someone else has told you.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:02 PM

4,637 posts, read 1,756,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I hate to break it to you, Lillie, but we don't believe that at all. And you have no evidence to that other than what someone else has told you.
...or what Lille experienced herself...

Old 05-01-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
...or what Lille experienced herself...
All imaginary

Old 05-01-2023, 04:25 PM

1,305 posts, read 621,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What you are describing, compwiz is pure randomness. Cancer is purely random. People who haven't smoked all their life get lung cancer. People who smoke 4 packs a day live to 100. Evil people get cancer and die from it, evil people get cancer and spontaneously recover from it. Good people get cancer and die from it despite hundreds of prayers for their recovery and good people get cancer and spontaneously recover from it with no prayers at all. Evil men live long lives and evil men die young. Christians live long lives and Christians die young. Christians die in accidents with the same frequency as atheists and people of other faiths. It's all a roll of the dice. God and Jesus have absolutely no effect on these outcomes. Belief that they do is just pie in the sky.
Ok, I am back home.

Putting aside cancer...

"God and Jesus have absolutely no effect on these outcomes. Belief that they do is just pie in the sky."

This is an opinion that you keep spitting out as a fact. You have this mindset that life sucks, we live in a rotten world, and we're all here to live and die. If you had a harsh life, I'm sorry. It seems like you are blaming Christianity for your harsh life.

It looks like we view Christianity in different ways. You view life through the eyes of an atheist. Life exists and that is that. I believe there is something out there....I'm just not 100% sure what it is. Do I believe God has some impact on our lives? Yes. It is up to us to see the impact God is making. Is it possible to live life and not see God? Absolutely. Atheists do it everyday. Is it possible to live without God? Absolutely. Atheists do it everyday. I choose to believe there is something beyond our own selves that exists and science cannot prove it. If someone was in the hospital and their relatives asked me to pray, would I pray? sure. will the prayer work? I have no idea. will I still do it? sure. there is absolutely nothing wrong with positive energy and thinking positive. If you want to sit in your corner and be angry and think the world is rotten, go for it my good man. I wish you well.

Someone once asked a Catholic priest "what do you say to those who do not believe?". The priest responded "non-believers? well....good luck!" long story short, the priest explained that if non-believers choose not to believe, then so be it. there are paths to choose from: to believe or not to believe. if you choose not to believe and when you die, nothing happens, then good...the non-believer was right. But if you choose not to believe and when you die, something actually does happen (you find yourself in hell or whatever) and the non-believer was wrong, well......that's not good.

I would rather live a good life now and believe that something exists after death. nothing wrong with believing that there is something that exists after death.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
All imaginary
Denying someone else's reality isn't too smart, phet.

You seem to believe that because *you* don't/haven't had any kind of religious "awakening" that no one else should/ could, either.

What a shame. Almost seems like you're jealous...

Of course, you'll deny that. Probably saying something like, "Nothing to be jealous of. Figment of their imagination."

Yet they're pretty happy. And you're not...

Old 05-01-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Denying someone else's reality isn't too smart, phet.

You seem to believe that because *you* don't/haven't had any kind of religious "awakening" that no one else should/ could, either.

What a shame. Almost seems like you're jealous...

Of course, you'll deny that. Probably saying something like, "Nothing to be jealous of. Figment of their imagination."

Yet they're pretty happy. And you're not...
I'm very happy with my Buddhist philosophy. And how is it that you know so much about my mindset? From reading my posts? Well, turnabout is fair play. Shall I psychoanalyze you? (If I were you, I'd pass on that).

Old 05-01-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I'm very happy with my Buddhist philosophy. And how is it that you know so much about my mindset? From reading my posts? Well, turnabout is fair play. Shall I psychoanalyze you? (If I were you, I'd pass on that).
How is it that you know about God's mindset?

And since when does your Buddhist philosophy tell you to be snippy to others?

From my point of view, doesn't seem to matter to you whether you profess to be a Christian or a Buddhist.

Your ATTITUDE remains the same.

Like Thrill. Doesn't matter if he's a Christian or atheist. His attitude remains the same in either case.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
How is it that you know about God's mindset?

And since when does your Buddhist philosophy tell you to be snippy to others?

From my point of view, doesn't seem to matter to you whether you profess to be a Christian or a Buddhist.

Your ATTITUDE remains the same.

Like Thrill. Doesn't matter if he's a Christian or atheist. His attitude remains the same in either case.
"snippy" is in the eye of the beholder. Did it ever occur to you that I found your last previous post to be snippy?

Old 05-01-2023, 07:17 PM

18,190 posts, read 16,765,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Ok, I am back home.

Putting aside cancer...

"God and Jesus have absolutely no effect on these outcomes. Belief that they do is just pie in the sky."

This is an opinion that you keep spitting out as a fact. You have this mindset that life sucks, we live in a rotten world, and we're all here to live and die. If you had a harsh life, I'm sorry. It seems like you are blaming Christianity for your harsh life.

It looks like we view Christianity in different ways. You view life through the eyes of an atheist. Life exists and that is that. I believe there is something out there....I'm just not 100% sure what it is. Do I believe God has some impact on our lives? Yes. It is up to us to see the impact God is making. Is it possible to live life and not see God? Absolutely. Atheists do it everyday. Is it possible to live without God? Absolutely. Atheists do it everyday. I choose to believe there is something beyond our own selves that exists and science cannot prove it. If someone was in the hospital and their relatives asked me to pray, would I pray? sure. will the prayer work? I have no idea. will I still do it? sure. there is absolutely nothing wrong with positive energy and thinking positive. If you want to sit in your corner and be angry and think the world is rotten, go for it my good man. I wish you well.

Someone once asked a Catholic priest "what do you say to those who do not believe?". The priest responded "non-believers? well....good luck!" long story short, the priest explained that if non-believers choose not to believe, then so be it. there are paths to choose from: to believe or not to believe. if you choose not to believe and when you die, nothing happens, then good...the non-believer was right. But if you choose not to believe and when you die, something actually does happen (you find yourself in hell or whatever) and the non-believer was wrong, well......that's not good.

I would rather live a good life now and believe that something exists after death. nothing wrong with believing that there is something that exists after death.

Well, you see comp you said it all in the last paragraph: "I'd rather go through life believing something good awaits me in heaven than going through life believing that the world is a bad place and that when we die that's the end of us."

That's what separates atheists from theists: HOPE that something better awaits us after we die. That's an admission right there that this world is a lousy place because if the world was a good place we'd be in no hurry to get out of here and get to heaven. The atheists recognizes that there is no evidence of heaven or God or an afterlife. This one life is all we get and then we're history. Make the most of this life right here best you can. Theists OTOH rely on blind faith with no evidence of such that they're headed for a better life in the yonder and they can sacrifice what little happiness this life offers for an eternity of bliss that they can never offer any evidence actually excists.

There's this fellow who is a real Jesus-lover and though he and I fight like cats and dogs and have for the last 15 years I still have so much compassion for him. My heart breaks for him because he is all alone in life--no sweetheart, no family best as I can surmise. I can never forget the heartbreaking words he once wrote, "All I want in this life is to [die so that I can] be with my beloved Lord and savior, Jesus." Can you imagine? The only thing he looks forward to in this life is getting out of it so he can get to the next--like there really IS one to get to! My heart absolutely breaks in two for the poor guy. I try to shake him and make him wake up to reality but it's just impossible. But it's a sad fact that when you have nothing in this life, hoping for pie in the sky is all that's really left. It's just heart-wrenching that life deals a person a crummy hand like it has him. And you hear his situation and then wonder why I think this world is such a crummy place??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality