Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 11:52 AM
Status: "My worldview is based on the inerrant word of God." (set 25 days ago)

18,726 posts, read 6,811,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
See..you dismiss it. Why not question it ? Why not look for proof ?

Why are we supposed to just take the Church's word ?
The history of Christianity is ugly, very ugly and yet these men were "holy and inspired" and we're supposed to believe them without question ?

What is wrong with looking for truth ?

Seek and ye shall find.
Is that what you think? That I just blindly accept the "Church's word"? Whatever you mean by that?

You don't believe I've done my own research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 12:40 PM

41,669 posts, read 17,264,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Is that what you think? That I just blindly accept the "Church's word"? Whatever you mean by that?

You don't believe I've done my own research?
And you think your way is the only way by dismissing anyone else that isn't satisfied ?

You called it a "convenient excuse".

Old 05-26-2023, 01:43 PM

50,138 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
And you think your way is the only way by dismissing anyone else that isn't satisfied ?

BF can't imagine that everyone else doesn't come to his conclusion.
Meanwhile, I can't believe I ever came to his conclusion.

But here's the difference. I never tell anyone that Buddhism is 'THE answer', or that they should become Buddhist. I have refused to take people to a Buddhist temple (although I relented upon their insistence). All I would like is for non-Buddhists or religionists to be aware that others have very different beliefs than they do and that we believe (or don't believe) just as strongly.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is a convenient excuse for people that have not bothered to actually look into the Bible to simply dismiss it. I didn't accuse you personally of anything, but if the shoe fits....well....not my fault.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

But here's the difference. I never tell anyone that Buddhism is 'THE answer', or that they should become Buddhist. I have refused to take people to a Buddhist temple (although I relented upon their insistence). All I would like is for non-Buddhists or religionists to be aware that others have very different beliefs than they do and that we believe (or don't believe) just as strongly.
And I can't imagine having a religion that I'm not convinced is the answer. I pity the person that follows something they aren't convinced is the truth.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:01 PM

50,138 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
And I can't imagine having a religion that I'm not convinced is the answer. I pity the person that follows something they aren't convinced is the truth.
Why do you assume they (or we) aren't convinced?

Old 05-26-2023, 04:50 PM

41,669 posts, read 17,264,873 times
Quote:
You could not be more wrong in your assumption of "looking for the truth" and asking questions.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:07 PM

9,940 posts, read 4,872,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
....What if we are ALL sons of God? Can we ALL call God our "Father" which means we are his sons/daughter and lay claim to a direct familial link to God?...
Jesus instructed " Our Father..........."
Through Jesus we can lay claim to a direct familiar prayer link to God through Jesus as mediator - 1st Tim. 2:5 - Amen !

We can keep in mind that Jesus has both a ' little flock ' and also ' other sheep ' in his fold.
The figurative 'sheep' of Matt. 25:37 and Not the ' brothers' of verse 40.
The ' brothers' are part of the ' little flock ' the smaller group.- Luke 12:32
The 'sheep' are part of the ' other sheep ' the larger group of God's family. - John 10:16

Old 05-27-2023, 12:10 AM

16,579 posts, read 4,865,560 times
Quote:
Yes, it is a convenient excuse for people that have not bothered to actually look into the Bible to simply dismiss it. I didn't accuse you personally of anything, but if the shoe fits....well....not my fault.
Some of us have investigated the Bible, and you simply dismiss our findings.

Accusing others of having 'not bothered to actually look into the Bible' IS dismissing their claims.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Why do you assume they (or we) aren't convinced?
Isn't that what you said?

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality