Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:08 PM

412 posts, read 137,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh, I see it fine, Michael, but I have spent a lifetime with my intellect and I have no delusions about its genuine superiority to the average bear. There are many my intellectual equal or greater but not that many. That tends to be well-deserved arrogance. I have no interest in false humility. Of course, intellect is not the most important factor in human life, but it is one of them.
The I.Q. level measures one's ability to solve problems. How long have you been trying to gain acceptance of your synthesis by the residential atheist community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 09:55 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
The I.Q. level measures one's ability to solve problems. How long have you been trying to gain acceptance of your synthesis by the residential atheist community?
Misperception!!! I am not trying to gain acceptance by anyone who cannot see its relevance. I am simply explaining it and defending it in terms a mass audience should be able to grasp. It has served its purpose in my case by satisfying my intellect that what I experienced is actually supportable using what we know about Reality through science.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:48 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Oh, I see it fine, Michael, but I have spent a lifetime with my intellect and I have no delusions about its genuine superiority to the average bear. There are many my intellectual equal or greater but not that many. That tends to be well-deserved arrogance. I have no interest in false humility. Of course, intellect is not the most important factor in human life, but it is one of them.
there is a reason why paths of religion and spirituality place such great emphasis on cultivating humbleness, and discarding arrogance and superiority. Because it is recognized how destructive arrogance and superioirity are, and that they are a significant barrier, obstacle, and impediment.

it appears you have missed that piece altogether, overlooked it, dismissed it.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there is a reason why paths of religion and spirituality place such great emphasis on cultivating humbleness, and discarding arrogance and superiority. Because it is recognized how destructive arrogance and superioirity are, and that they are a significant barrier, obstacle, and impediment.

it appears you have missed that piece altogether, overlooked it, dismissed it.
Socially, your admonition is understandable. It does not foster acceptance, liking, fondness, etc. which is why false humility is most often displayed even when not warranted. That it CAN be destructive is no guarantee that it always IS. I actually want a superior pilot flying any plane I might travel on no matter how arrogant it makes him. I actually want a superior surgeon operating on me no matter how arrogant it makes him.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Socially, your admonition is understandable. It does not foster acceptance, liking, fondness, etc. which is why false humility is most often displayed even when not warranted. That it CAN be destructive is no guarantee that it always IS. I actually want a superior pilot flying any plane I might travel on no matter how arrogant it makes him. I actually want a superior surgeon operating on me no matter how arrogant it makes him.
but this discussion and this section of the forum is religion and spirituality,
not aviation, not medical field, not social circles, not travel or transportation.

but paths of religion and spirituality.
and in that arena, arrogance and superiority are recognized as destructive, obstacles, and a severe impediment.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but this discussion and this section of the forum is religion and spirituality,
not aviation, not the medical field, not social circles, not travel or transportation.

but paths of religion and spirituality.
and in that arena, arrogance and superiority are recognized as destructive, obstacles, and severe impediments.
I can agree with that because we really have no way of knowing for certain (other than by experience) what is or is not true. That has nothing to do with the truth of my generally superior intellect and knowledge base and my justifiable confidence in them which is perceived as arrogance here.

Old 05-07-2023, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I can agree with that because we really have no way of knowing for certain (other than by experience) what is or is not true. That has nothing to do with the truth of my generally superior intellect and knowledge base and my justifiable confidence in them which is perceived as arrogance here.
they are an obstacle, barrier and severe impediment
because they prevent a person from recognizing, accessing, and implementing spiritual truths.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:41 AM

16,752 posts, read 4,966,602 times
Quote:
I am too close to finding out the truth for real, Michael. I did the intellectual work for MY understanding. I will let them find out for themselves. Perhaps someone who is or was on this forum will introduce them to my views. Who knows, they are certainly intelligent enough to grasp my extrapolations.
Emails sent. I understand Sean Carroll is slow in responding, but perhaps we will get an answer from Brian Greene soon.

My 15 year old daughter, who is not only fascinated by, but also wants to study Quantum Mechanics, has been reprimanded for giving a certain hand gesture when I suggested she should take up the challenge.

Old 05-07-2023, 04:19 AM

551 posts, read 189,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still, Einstein was an agnostic Jewish where agnostic put God in a box so for him believing that his grandmother was still live in any physical matter would be just theory and had no substance ...... most people need to have God spirit to have His eternal existence
She is simply using Einstein's Special Relativity and the concept of a Block Universe as a possible explanation for the persistence of what we might be at the deepest core of existence. She's not saying it's what Einstein believed. If I'm not mistaken Einstein gravitated towards Spinoza's God.

On the other hand Sean Carroll would say something like ultimate reality- the only thing that is truly real - is the quantum wave function.

Old 05-07-2023, 04:30 AM

551 posts, read 189,901 times
Quote:
Pride goeth before the fall, or as Harry Callahan said "A man's got to know his limitations".

Since intellect is finite the Infinite is beyond it's grasp. Grace, Salvation, Realization, Enlightenment, whatever you want to call it isn't a product of mind. That comes from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality