Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 05:48 AM

551 posts, read 180,044 times

Advertisements

It's not all that much different than Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 05:56 AM

15,795 posts, read 6,861,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Socially, your admonition is understandable. It does not foster acceptance, liking, fondness, etc. which is why false humility is most often displayed even when not warranted. That it CAN be destructive is no guarantee that it always IS. I actually want a superior pilot flying any plane I might travel on no matter how arrogant it makes him. I actually want a superior surgeon operating on me no matter how arrogant it makes him.
Until one’s ego is resolved unto Ishvara, one cannot realize the self-illumined Oneness. Ego is dissolved in humility.

Old 05-07-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I can agree with that because we really have no way of knowing for certain (other than by experience) what is or is not true. That has nothing to do with the truth of my generally superior intellect and knowledge base and my justifiable confidence in them which is perceived as arrogance here.
Oneness is understood, not experienced. Knowledge is truth, mind is not.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Pride goeth before the fall, or as Harry Callahan said "A man's got to know his limitations".

Since intellect is finite the Infinite is beyond it's grasp. Grace, Salvation, Realization, Enlightenment, whatever you want to call it isn't a product of mind. That comes from somewhere else.
Yes.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-07-2023 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 05-07-2023, 08:41 AM

21,866 posts, read 19,019,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Pride goeth before the fall, or as Harry Callahan said "A man's got to know his limitations". Since intellect is finite the Infinite is beyond it's grasp. Grace, Salvation, Realization, Enlightenment, whatever you want to call it isn't a product of mind. That comes from somewhere else.
and the bigger they (think they) are, the harder the fall.
arrogance and superiority inevitably cause a person to make errors and fall.

"Before destruction comes pride, and before stumbling [comes] a haughty spirit."
Proverbs 16:18

and while arrogance and superiority bring downfall, destruction, follly, and impaired thinking,
in contrast humbleness results in honor and wisdom.

Proverbs 11:2, 18:12, and 29:23,
"Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humbleness."

this is not about social niceties.
it is describing the natural consequences and inevitable outcome for a person regarding what are simple spiritual truths.
simple, but very very powerful.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-07-2023 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-07-2023, 09:06 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,289,403 times
I played dodge ball as a kid.

There were those who were very confident and aggressive in their method.

We couldn't complain about them. We either dodged them, or knocked them out.

Wining didn't help.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:17 AM

412 posts, read 134,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I played dodge ball as a kid.

There were those who were very confident and aggressive in their method.

We couldn't complain about them. We either dodged them, or knocked them out.

Wining didn't help.
I think this is the motto for some business owners, politicians and the personal philosophy of quite a few people.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:20 AM

21,866 posts, read 19,019,005 times
arrogance and superiority inevitably bring a person to their destruction, their downfall.
it is a sure-fire recipe for self-destruction. that is the natural outcome and inevitable result.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
arrogance and superiority inevitably bring a person to their destruction, their downfall.
it is a sure-fire recipe for self-destruction. that is the natural outcome and inevitable result.
Although delivery can soften the edges so to speak, there is a difference between confidence, self assurance, and pride.

MysticPhD does not come across as prideful, to me a least.

Confident. Self assured. Yes.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I think this is the motto for some business owners, politicians and the personal philosophy of quite a few people.
I would have bolded my last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality