Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 03:08 PM

551 posts, read 190,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but divinity is also more than and beyond and outside of space, time, form, and universes.
divinity is more than universes.
I'm just making a claim about objective reality. It appears to be a multitude of waves but in reality it's all Water. Beyond that language is inadequate to the task of describing Water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 03:14 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
bold above, yes. experience it for yourself.
as many have. leaving descriptions, map, guide in various sacred texts and traditions lo these many thousands and tens of thousands of years.

it is not a spectator spot. to validate and verify requires participation.
otherwise it's like trying to learn to cook without ever setting foot in the kitchen or without ever experimenting with various methods, techniques, cuisines, flavors, ingredients, variations.

in short no one can do it for you, and no one can prove it to you.
the only person who can do this is you.
Ok, so in your view, God IS an experience.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:16 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Divinity IS is understanding, knowledge. Experiences are not truth. Only knowledge is.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Problem is anything short of experience is merely belief and claims of directly experiencing God are subjective and can't be objectively verified.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
The Water/wave analogy states the same. A wave is nothing but Water, through and through. Water is not a wave. Same for Clay & pot and Gold and ornament.
It seems to me these two analogies unfold two different concepts. Water, wave or foam of the waves is the omnipresence of Existence through all names and forms. We have different names for forms that water gets shaped, but it is all just one thing, water. Oneness.
Clay is Existence, an element that cannot be further reduced. It is Sat, always exists. Pot is is modified clay, created and shaped for different purposes. Once broken it is no longer pot. Clay remains always. Our bodies are all different and individual. We all have Divinity within. Our bodies die, but Divinity remains. Divinity is Truth, Sat, Existence. It cannot be modified. We are Divinity that resides in our body as Atma, Self. We are not the Body or Mind, all that dies and become soil.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:36 PM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
no.
in response to the question which was asked in the opening post "is there a way to determine the truth"
i replied that the validation and verification of divinity is through your own experience.

so no, divinity is not an experience.
the validation and verification of divinity is through your own experience.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It seems to me these two analogies unfold two different concepts. Water, wave or foam of the waves is the omnipresence of Existence through all names and forms. We have different names for forms that water gets shaped, but it is all just one thing, water. Oneness.
Clay is Existence, an element that cannot be further reduced. It is Sat, always exists. Pot is is modified clay, created and shaped for different purposes. Once broken it is no longer pot. Clay remains always. Our bodies are all different and individual. We all have Divinity within. Our bodies die, but Divinity remains. Divinity is Truth, Sat, Existence. It cannot be modified. We are Divinity that resides in our body as Atma, Self. We are not the Body or Mind, all that dies and become soil.
Water = Brahman and waves = Maya. I'm simple.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Water = Brahman and waves = Maya. I'm simple.
That works
But actually even water is Maya.
Metaphors have their limitation.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:44 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
I suppose it's like "What Is It Like to Be a Bat?" as in the paper by Thomas Nagel. In other words the only way to know is through direct subjective experience.

It also depends on how one might perceive a direct experience with God. For instance a non-dualist might describe such an experience as the waking equivalent of a lucid dream.
I like your wave/water analogy and I have used it in my Synthesis. Tzaph keeps intimating that this Reality is really just a dream, so your lucid dreaming analogy is cogent. I see the water as the consciousness of God. It is the substrate for everything that manifests including our ability to imagine and create. Our ability to direct the content of a lucid dream is probative. That makes it far more complex than can be subsumed under the water wave analogy but no less apt.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That works
But actually even water is Maya.
Metaphors have their limitation.
Both sides of the as are internally consistent and have the same relationship.

A wave is to Water as Maya is to Brahman. A wave (or foam, drop, rain, etc) is an appearance (name & form) of Water as Maya is an appearance of Brahman.

Of course if we compare Water to Brahman, well Water meet wave. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality