Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 12:08 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Christianity has never had a comfortable relationship with truth and evidence from the very beginnings of the faith 2000 years ago.

From having been a member of Christianity for 60 years and having seen it all from the inside and then from having studied the matter objectively based solely on the evidence as an outsider, I have learned the following:

Christians hate the Light of truth found in the evidence when the evidence exposes the lies and deceits in their religion. They scurry into the dark to hide from the Light of truth. But if the evidence happens to support Christianity then they readily embrace the truth of the evidence.
This then becomes the Christian creed regarding evidence for or against Christianity:

"If the evidence supports Christianity you will accept it. If the evidence goes against Christianity you will reject it."

Thus one can put forth a hypothetical statement of fact:

"Christian belief is NOT based on reason or evidence, but on subjective impressions and desperate emotional desire.

Support for this hypothesis can be easily found when one studies statements put out by prominent theologians' statements of belief:

William Lane Craig: "The way I know Christianity is true first and foremost is the witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart. This gives me a self-authenticating means of knowing Christianity is true apart from the evidence. And if in some future circumstance the evidence should turn against Christianity I don't think that controverts the witness of the Holy Spirit."

Lane Craig is saying: "I don't care what the evidence says. I believe the testimony of the Holy Spirit in my heart more than I believe solid historical evidence that controverts that testimony."

WL Craig's beliefs are based on the "witness of the Holy Spirit in my heart."

His beliefs are independent of evidence and reason.

Another:

Answers in Genesis' Statement of Faith: "The scientific aspects of creation are important, but SECONDARY in importance to the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ as Sovereign, Creator, Redeemer and Judge. No apparent, perceived, or claimed evidence in any field including history can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record.

Another:

Mark Ramsey's Greater Houston Creation Association: "Where physical evidence from the creation can be used to confirm the Bible, this evidence must never be used to correct or interpret the Bible. The Written Word must take priority in the event of any apparent conflict."

It becomes crystal clear that for Christians:

"If the evidence supports the Bible we will believe it, but if the evidence refutes the Bible we will reject it."

The video below explains succinctly Christianity's shaky hold on reality when confronted with the evidence their religion is based on a false premise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szp_QW0-txg

Old 05-21-2023, 12:29 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Another thread...just like all your other threads?

Old 05-21-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another thread...just like all your other threads?

Did you see another thread I made titled, "Christianity has a tenuous grip on the truth"?

Do you agree with the OP or disagree? Let's get a conversation going.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:38 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
It's an obsession. No reason, no logic. Just OCD

That said, Craig is hardly the deep thinking spokesman for all of Christianity.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:45 PM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
For someone who doesn't believe, someone is very obsessed.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:54 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
The best evidence against Christianity is the state of Christianity itself. Christianity has fragmented into thousands of denominations (and counting). Why hasn’t the Christian God done a better job keeping his own religion together? Why didn’t he do a better job inspiring the Bible, so that all of the doctrinal disagreement could have been avoided?

Old 05-21-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The best evidence against Christianity is the state of Christianity itself. Christianity has fragmented into thousands of denominations (and counting). Why hasn’t the Christian God done a better job keeping his own religion together? Why didn’t he do a better job inspiring the Bible, so that all of the doctrinal disagreement could have been avoided?

The Christians haven't got a clue.

You seem to comprehend the utter chaos Christianity finds itself in, Freak. I see red when Christians selectively pick and choose the evidence they like and completely disregard the evidence that makes their religion look bad. I see red even more when they just lie through their teeth about Jesus just to get a conversion out of some dumb gullible yokel. It's so dishonest, and frankly I have never met a Christian in here I could call truly honest about Jesus.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 05-21-2023 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2023, 03:40 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's an obsession. No reason, no logic. Just OCD

That said, Craig is hardly the deep thinking spokesman for all of Christianity.
Most Christians wont admit their own recorded history like Protestants who debate Catholics and their church while keeping non biblical wholley Catholic law. There is no way to confront Christians why they do this because most wont admit their own history or how they came to where they are now.

You are just throwing personal insults.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Most Christians wont admit their own recorded history like Protestants who debate Catholics and their church while keeping non biblical wholley Catholic law. There is no way to confront Christians why they do this because most wont admit their own history or how they came to where they are now.

You are just throwing personal insults.

Why hello, Hannibal. Long time no hear from. Why don't you ever stop in here?

You can draw to someone's attention, oh like say Thoreau and Fundie that they never add anything worthwhile to the conversation, just insults and it just goes in one ear and out the other. Doesn't register.

I mean idiot Lane Craig comes right out and admits he wouldn't accept anything no matter how authoritative if it contradicted his beliefs. He never stops to ask why his god would allow something that contradicts his beliefs to come about in the first place.

And of course Thoreau and Fundie wouldn't know the truth if it came up and bit them, so this is the state Christianity finds itself--everyone is either asleep at the wheel or they have their heads stuck in the sand. Pathetic. Funny. Sad. All at once.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:53 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Thread closed. We've already had two issues reported.

You can't call people out by name and sling insults at them.

It would be unadvisable to start another such thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality