Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 01:35 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Larry Niven's "Known Space" novels. Wire Heads.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 03:29 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That would make you evil.

You might actually be able to justify murdering a sentient being like a carrot, but you couldn't possible justify murdering sentient beings like trees and rocks just so you can have a McMansion or a cell phone.

Actually, no. You are conscious only because chemicals interact with highly specialized biological cells in your brain.

I can take any number of actions to impede the chemical process and/or damage or destroy the highly specialized biological cells in your brain and you would no longer be conscious.

I suppose that makes me a god-thing.
No, you would just be interfering with the operation of the "cell phone" you are interacting with the "caller" on. The "caller" is NOT in the "cell phone."

Old 05-28-2023, 07:01 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:

You might actually be able to justify murdering a sentient being like a carrot, but you couldn't possible justify murdering sentient beings like trees and rocks just so you can have a McMansion or a cell phone.

Actually, no. You are conscious only because chemicals interact with highly specialized biological cells in your brain.

I can take any number of actions to impede the chemical process and/or damage or destroy the highly specialized biological cells in your brain and you would no longer be conscious.

I think people are talking about qualia. The thing that chemical reaction causes.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:32 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:

I am deeply sorry, but you did not understand, what was said.
I'll just one more time and bow out..
On the Nature side, everything is conscious AS ITS FUNCTION ONLY. Where does it say that rock is sentient?

Rock is conscious as rock. Carrot, if you like them, is conscious as carrot. Dog is conscious as dog.

As of the 2nd part of your statement.... Brain activity is manifestation of mental, psychic and noetic processes in the mental, psychic and noetic atmospheres of a human. Of course, this is wild and foreign to you, so I respectfully bow out. To each of his own.

Be well

Old 05-28-2023, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think people are talking about qualia. The thing that chemical reaction causes.

No. People are talking about processes, that cause chemical reactions. Brain is like a fine "computer" responding, in its functions, that can be observed as say electric current changes, to its operator actions.

Say, brain of a born idiot, that has no consciousness in that particular manifestation, as The Light of Intelligence is shut down for him, is just like that computer on stand by. Idling.

L8t, it's the matter of the concept of the world. You are standing on materialistic concept foundation and will never understand, what I am saying, as my concept is not.

Old 05-28-2023, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Last but not least
You do know difference between being sentient, conscious and Self-conscious? Being sentient does not mean being conscious and definitely not being Self-conscious.

Got better choice of term?

Old 05-29-2023, 03:00 AM

551 posts, read 191,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Even more fundamental than that. What illumines qualia? Taken to its deepest level what illumines the sense of "I"? That unchanging sense of being regardless of changes to body and mind across decades, across an entire life and still "I" remains constant regardless of qualia/raw experience.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 05-29-2023 at 03:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2023, 03:45 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
That is not known, as in "The Hard Problem of Consciousness".
No, the hard problem of consciousness is how and why do we experience things. All the evidence so far points to consciousness being a product of the brain, from neuroscience to medicine to neural networks.

Quote:
Consciousness eludes scientific explanation.
It also eludes religious and spiritual explanation.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It also eludes religious and spiritual explanation.
From an objective perspective, yes. From a subjective perspective it's elusive but not beyond realizing. Just have to employ an appropriate toolkit.

Old 05-29-2023, 07:33 AM

I see, hear, smell, touch and taste, therefore I Am.
I think, therefore I Am.
I experience what I think, therefore I Am.
I Am.
I.
Silence

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy; 05-29-2023 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality