Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 05:56 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,416,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by night912 View Post
Law Of Hammurabi - slavery
117. If a man be in debt and sell his wife, son or daughter, or bind them over to service, for THREE years they shall work in the house of their purchaser of master; in the fourth year they shall be given their freedom.

Vs

Law of the Bible - slavery
Deuteronomy 15
At the end of every SEVEN years you must cancel debts. 2 This is how it is to be done: Every creditor shall cancel any loan they have made to a fellow Israelite.

It's obvious that an Israelite and a non-Israelite was better off being a slave under the Law of Hammurabi than being under the Law of the Bible. I'm sure an Israelite slave would agree that being a slave for only 3 years is a lot better than being one for 7 years. As for the non-Israelite, I'm sure that being released from slavery after 3 is a lot better than being a slave tor the rest of their life. Ì

That is interesting. I do want to note that Israel wasn't to enslave their fellow Israelites. So among themselves, there was to be no slavery, only a form of indentured servitude was allowed. And debt cancellation doesn't just involve servitude, but all forms of debt.

I'm interested to know if the Law of Hammurabi cancels all forms of slavery after three years, and not just when a person sells their family members. Someone mentioned in old covenant law, a person was not to return a runaway slave. Another GROSS violation on the US' part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 06:27 AM

22,950 posts, read 10,306,917 times
Paul went through all sorts of laws that all have an alternate more deep spiritual meaning. From the incense being prayers to the laws of oxen about men instead of oxen and how the laws of unclean animals is not about animals at all, every law has a spiritual lesson for the believing betrothed bride.

The laws of slavery are no different, each law has a spiritual symbolism exclusive to the believer. God couldn't take Israel out of Egypt because they were under covenant and never offered earrings, and so when Israel left Egypt by Pharaoh' word, they were owed earrings and so they spoiled all of Egypt of their earrings.

They put those earings in their ears, and when they took them out to build a golden calf, they effectively changed everything, they took the voice of God out of their ears, and at the time, they were a very special people who had exclusive access to God.

Because they took their earrings out to build that calf, God changed his mind and said," Now the whole world will be filled with the knowledge of God."

It's a big change.

If somebody takes you as their servant, you move into their house for 7 years and when those 7 years are up, you are offered your freedom, but what happens when the servant refuses to go?

Then the master puts an earring in the servants ear so that all who see him, they first see his earing knowing now that they completed a 7 year covenant and when offered their freedom, they refused to leave the master's house.

At seeing the earring, you see the master's voice knowing that whatever the servant does, he is doing by the authority and voice of his master.

The laws of Moses in flesh at face value concerns the flesh, but every law of Moses strictly concerns the marriage covenant and every law to the bride of the covenant, it is a marriage contracr.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:30 AM

4,128 posts, read 2,424,836 times
"Slavery" can mean many things, as the institution changed. Slavery was different in the American colonies and in the USA from slavery elsewhere, not only in that it was hereditary and race based, but that it was for life. American slaves could not own property. State laws differed of course.

In England, Vagabonds Act 1547 introduced slavery for vagabonds, but only for two years. The law was repealed in 1550 and they went back to the Vagabond Act of 1530 which whipped vagabonds rather than enslave them.

Slavery in Africa was different; slaves could own property, pass it on to heirs; they could marry and their status was not hereditary.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:55 AM

18,888 posts, read 6,901,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
That begs the question: Why would a person who has achieved nirvana spend time with us rubes on city-data?
Obviously to judge and mock.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:03 AM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Judgement is a part of christianity, and you folks are certainly good at doing it. As you just did in that post...and so many others. So what's the problem? What's good for the goose is not good for the gander?

Critiquing and mocking are not the same. Perhaps you need to learn a couple of basic definitions here. The meaning of CRITIQUE is an act of criticizing; especially : a critical estimate or discussion. According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, "mocking behavior involves laughing at someone or something in an unkind way". Trust me...there's no "laughing" involved in my posts about christianity...I'm dead serious.

But, frankly, what's the problem with mocking something that should be mocked.

Old 11-15-2023, 07:04 AM

22,950 posts, read 10,306,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Mine, my job.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:14 AM

17,664 posts, read 13,521,532 times
I wish I'd have lived in those Biblical times. I could've beaten me some slaves and as long as I didn't kill them... it would have been just fine.

And wouldn't it be cool to be able to jam someone's ear to the door with an awl?.... I always wanted to do that.

But without slavery, I don't think you can do that anymore. :

Old 11-15-2023, 09:24 AM

42,293 posts, read 17,654,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I wish I'd have lived in those Biblical times. I could've beaten me some slaves and as long as I didn't kill them... it would have been just fine.

And wouldn't it be cool to be able to jam someone's ear to the door with an awl?.... I always wanted to do that.

But without slavery, I don't think you can do that anymore. :
Not if you lived in Syria in the BC timeframe.
If you treated a slave badly then you got treated the same way.
Slaves got paid, had days off to practice their religion and had many freedoms.

The concept of slavery in the OT is not and should not be compared to the slavery of the Civi War era.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:40 AM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not if you lived in Syria in the BC timeframe.
If you treated a slave badly then you got treated the same way.
Slaves got paid, had days off to practice their religion and had many freedoms.

The concept of slavery in the OT is not and should not be compared to the slavery of the Civi War era.
Slavery is wrong. Period. It's immoral. Period. And you defending it is immoral. Period.

Old 11-15-2023, 09:49 AM

42,293 posts, read 17,654,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Slavery is wrong. Period. It's immoral. Period. And you defending it is immoral. Period.
I'm not defending it at all. I was clarifying what slavery was like in BC Syria.

Put your "teacher" hat on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality