Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2023, 01:53 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,447,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't see what you're smiling about. That seems like exactly what is saying...and I agree.
I'm smiling because in my argument, I say the creator has the freedom to do what he wants because we are his creation, giving us no right to criticize him. (Which of course many disagree) However if we created the creator, then the creator has no right to criticize us.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:27 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I can criticize a fictional character as much as I want. You Christians describe your God and ascribe him his back story and characteristics and behavior, and I criticize the ridiculous, awful character that you present.

No, we don't. That's a complete nonsensical concept, upon any rational analysis.

God does not exist. People made up that character, and describe him as some kind of conscious being that loves us. Okay. But that is an imaginary, made up character. We are evolved animals that live on one planet in a vast universe of hundreds of billions of galaxies, governed by physical interactions of particles.

Mankind imagined, and therefore predates God.

Also, they did not exist, and that whole nonsensical tale is not how homo sapiens got started. FYI.
Speculation (bolded above)

Old 12-12-2023, 05:28 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
I think Zoroaster’s doing a pretty good job. Don’t really pay attention to those pretender gods. Criticizing them is like criticizing mastodons.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,657 times
What is the purpose of your life?

]

Old 12-26-2023, 07:47 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
I can criticize a fictional character as much as I want. You Christians describe your God and ascribe him his back story and characteristics and behavior, and I criticize the ridiculous, awful character that you present.

No, we don't. That's a complete nonsensical concept, upon any rational analysis.
God does not exist. People made up that character, and describe him as some kind of conscious being that loves us. Okay. But that is an imaginary, made up character. We are evolved animals that live on one planet in a vast universe of hundreds of billions of galaxies, governed by physical interactions of particles.

Mankind imagined, and therefore predates God.

Also, they did not exist, and that whole nonsensical tale is not how homo sapiens got started. FYI.
The Eden fable does not describe the evolution of our physical existence. It allegorizes the beginning of "spiritual existence" (consciousness) which every single one of us goes through from our birth (Didn't you recognize the first lesson as obedience to your parents?). Homo Sapiens is the hominid species (evolved from the "dust of the earth") that was "seeded" with the burgeoning consciousness of God. Is Ra El refers to hominids who follow God. The Bible is not intended to be a science book or a history book. It is at most a spiritual instruction and operating manual for our Spirits (consciousness) to achieve spiritual maturity amidst the demands and distractions of physical existence.

Old 12-26-2023, 11:10 PM

16,772 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Speculation (bolded above)
God exists is speculation.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:56 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
As I wind my life down after 70-some years through this disappointing life I have come to the conclusion that nature is a giant screw-up, or if you're a theist then God is a giant screw-up.

From the very beginning nature evolved to be one gigantic parasitic system where half of all species are predators who feed on the other half. I don't have to look any father than the latest National Geographic docu to see lions and their cousins tearing elk to shreds as well as crocodiles, wolves and their cousins, sharks and on and on. Then there are the poisonous species of snakes and insects that inflict pain and death on humans and other creatures down to deadly bacteria and viruses that wipe out whole populations in parts of the world. Those who sing praises at how wonder a world their God made are only seeing half the picture. The world in its totality is not a wonderful place, it is a pretty ghastly place if you're a living creature. But I will give that nature/God created some pretty wonderful sights like the Grand Canyon and other magnificent natural formations.

Far as man goes, man has the potential to aspire to great things but always seems to find pleasure indulging his basest wants and desires. Again, its a system of the strong preying on the weak with the weak constantly coming out on the short end living on garbage from dumps while the strong get wealthy and steal from their lesser brothers.

I go with Christopher Hitchins and his magnificent tome, "God is NOT Great". God isn't great. He's a being one shouldn't bother to give the time of day to much less give love and worship. He hasn't earned it and he doesn't deserve it.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:06 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Eden fable does not describe the evolution of our physical existence. It allegorizes the beginning of "spiritual existence" (consciousness) which every single one of us goes through from our birth (Didn't you recognize the first lesson as obedience to your parents?). Homo Sapiens is the hominid species (evolved from the "dust of the earth") that was "seeded" with the burgeoning consciousness of God. Is Ra El refers to hominids who follow God. The Bible is not intended to be a science book or a history book. It is at most a spiritual instruction and operating manual for our Spirits (consciousness) to achieve spiritual maturity amidst the demands and distractions of physical existence.
Your making stuff up that you want to believe about consciousness and declaring it, does not make it so. We don’t know much about consciousness… therefore the same tired old “God of the gaps” explanation? We might well at some point know a lot more about it.

Also we currently think that some animals have the neurological complexity to have consciousness… refuting your magic allegory theory.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:08 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
God exists is speculation.
My father is a petroleum truck and my mother is an invisible pink owl, and they are both immortal. Any claim otherwise is speculation!

Old 12-27-2023, 11:44 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
My father is a petroleum truck and my mother is an invisible pink owl, and they are both immortal. Any claim otherwise is speculation!
The idea of a god/creator/mover is reasonable and believed by many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality