Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 06:50 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,000,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
I don't believe you describe a realistic scenario. No one who was as internally misanthropic as you describe this person could mask those attitudes to the extent you describe. "The only thing you can't hide is when you're crippled inside." - John Lennon.
I have to disagree, and it's hard to understand unless you've had intimate dealings with a person like this. I had no idea I was dating what was probably a sociopath, it's not like it's tattooed on their forehead as a warning. This person was good looking, intelligent, financially secure, great sense of humor, polite, and generous. We had the best time together.

Zero red flags until there was a big giant one...he literally changed into a different person overnight, his entire demeanor and expression was different. Dead eyes. Empty words, never a straight answer. I guess that Lennon quote is correct - he could no longer hide the real person inside, and had been wearing a mask the entire time.

One of the books written about serial killer Ted Bundy is called "The Stranger Beside Me". That's kind of how I feel about this guy, in hindsight. Good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 09:05 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I have to disagree, and it's hard to understand unless you've had intimate dealings with a person like this. I had no idea I was dating what was probably a sociopath, it's not like it's tattooed on their forehead as a warning. This person was good looking, intelligent, financially secure, great sense of humor, polite, and generous. We had the best time together.

Zero red flags until there was a big giant one...he literally changed into a different person overnight, his entire demeanor and expression was different. Dead eyes. Empty words, never a straight answer. I guess that Lennon quote is correct - he could no longer hide the real person inside, and had been wearing a mask the entire time.

One of the books written about serial killer Ted Bundy is called "The Stranger Beside Me". That's kind of how I feel about this guy, in hindsight. Good riddance.
Perhaps he let his guard down because he felt he had won you over and gotten you invested. Perhaps too it was a sort of amplified version of "familiarity breeds contempt" and he just quit trying. Either way, you dodged a bullet. I hope you do not let it destroy your ability to trust. It is a scary thing to experience.

Old 12-13-2023, 08:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Are there repercussions for bad thoughts...mean, vengeful, wishing harm, judgmental thoughts? Or just bad actions?
Atheists or 'believers' could answer this one.
And thank you all for your inputs.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:08 AM

2,060 posts, read 1,000,552 times
With people like this the bad thoughts typically morph into bad actions, no matter how cloaked in kindness they may appear. I think the two go hand in hand.

It's my hope that karma will catch up with these miscreants and cause some major blows in their lives. That, or messing with the wrong target and getting a well-deserved ass kicking, or more.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:51 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
With people like this the bad thoughts typically morph into bad actions, no matter how cloaked in kindness they may appear. I think the two go hand in hand.

It's my hope that karma will catch up with these miscreants and cause some major blows in their lives. That, or messing with the wrong target and getting a well-deserved ass kicking, or more.
His name wasn't "Ralph" was it?

Old 12-13-2023, 11:03 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Whatever is on the inside will come out eventually.

Interior rot cannot be hidden indefinitely.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:20 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Every thought and action produces consequences. Even doing the right thing for the wrong reasons eventually produces a different result than doing the right thing for the right reasons. It's all cause and effect. Theists think there are no constraints on people without an externally imposed moral code, but the truth is, everyone is constrained by cause and effect. Some things simply work better than others. And the things that work better on an overall basis tend to converge on a certain set of behaviors that end up looking like the moral codes that most of society subscribes to. Funny, that.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Every thought and action produces consequences. Even doing the right thing for the wrong reasons
eventually produces a different resultthan doing the right thing for the right reasons. It's all cause and effect....
That's what I have personally experienced and noticed for decades...so, therefore I believe that, also.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:35 PM

50,786 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Every thought and action produces consequences. Even doing the right thing for the wrong reasons eventually produces a different result than doing the right thing for the right reasons. It's all cause and effect. ...
Karma!

Old 12-14-2023, 09:09 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Are there repercussions for bad thoughts...mean, vengeful, wishing harm, judgmental thoughts? Or just bad actions?
Atheists or 'believers' could answer this one.
And thank you all for your inputs.
Already answered from a religious point of view of my faith.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/66165838-post6.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality