Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-27-2023, 10:03 AM
 
2,478 posts, read 1,468,335 times
Reputation: 483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suppose this thread of yours is in some ways similar to the thread I started some time ago. Titled "Ten Truths." Most of the regulars have seen that thread, but I've not noticed you among them before. Similar in that this thread pretty well describes your general perspective about such things while my Ten Truths attempts to do much the same with respect to my perspective about all this sort of thing.

I also started a thread about the problem of confirmation bias and another about essentially the same thing titled "My Cement Theory." I sense you would benefit from a a review of all these threads if not for the problem of confirmation bias.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those threads. Of course with this topic, I just wanted answer any questions about Yahweh one may have from my perspective. The discussion with science kind of veered from it.

Heehee! Does anyone have any other questions about Yahweh for me.

 
Old 12-27-2023, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
Reputation: 9995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I believe if God is true, then with His observations, we will be able to understand everything we see. Many call this the "God of the gaps". At the end of the day if one makes a major discovery or breakthrough using this methodology, then it would be evidence for Yahweh. Perhaps it wasn't obtained through the scientific method, but it couldn't be ignored if it better explains what we see. (and makes better predictions)
Absolutely -- if the church ever invented or discovered something useful and functional for humanity, it would argue for religious faith as an alternate way of finding things out vs. science. I am just not aware of a single patent that went to the church for anything, so ...
 
Old 12-28-2023, 09:33 AM
 
29,563 posts, read 9,777,192 times
Reputation: 3476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at those threads. Of course with this topic, I just wanted answer any questions about Yahweh one may have from my perspective. The discussion with science kind of veered from it.

Heehee! Does anyone have any other questions about Yahweh for me.
Do please have a look at those threads and by all means post whatever comment you may wish to add to those discussions. Meanwhile, I have to tell you I always find it somewhat egotistical whenever someone claims to know anything about what Yahweh or God is all about. I'm an atheist, so in part that's because I have no good reasons to think there is anything there to know anything about. Aside from this, and/or if we are to assume such a thing were to exist, when anyone claims they have some sort of insight about the omnipotent, great almighty, creator of all things, I have to wonder to say the least. To take questions as if qualified to answer for Yahweh?

Here's my question for you then. What does Yahweh think about all the people who claim to know enough about Yahweh to speak on Yahweh's behalf, and of all who do so, who should anyone believe?

Bonus question. WHY should anyone believe people who claim such things in all variety of different ways?

Even going back to the days when I was a true believer, I never once had the notion or hubris to suggest I could speak for God in any way.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 09:47 AM
 
2,478 posts, read 1,468,335 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Do please have a look at those threads and by all means post whatever comment you may wish to add to those discussions. Meanwhile, I have to tell you I always find it somewhat egotistical whenever someone claims to know anything about what Yahweh or God is all about. I'm an atheist, so in part that's because I have no good reasons to think there is anything there to know anything about. Aside from this, and/or if we are to assume such a thing were to exist, when anyone claims they have some sort of insight about the omnipotent, great almighty, creator of all things, I have to wonder to say the least. To take questions as if qualified to answer for Yahweh?

Here's my question for you then. What does Yahweh think about all the people who claim to know enough about Yahweh to speak on Yahweh's behalf, and of all who do so, who should anyone believe?

Bonus question. WHY should anyone believe people who claim such things in all variety of different ways?

Even going back to the days when I was a true believer, I never once had the notion or hubris to suggest I could speak for God in any way.

Why would anyone think I'm speaking on God's behalf? Now in the title I state if I don't know the answer, I'll say it. If I truly had all the answers concerning Yahweh, I certainly wouldn't say "I don't know". Yet I highlighted myself because we all know there are differing opinions, and I wanted to keep things simple in that respect. This thread was more a response to another one I had. In that thread I received a lot of questions and scrutiny dealing with Yahweh specifically. So I created this thread for those questions.


So most of what I speak on deals with what I've studied in Scripture. And my thoughts are formulated around what is written. Perhaps I may say something that others haven't thought of before concerning Yahweh. Perhaps someone's questions will get me to think in ways I haven't thought of before. Give, take, take, and give.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,004 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Reputation: 33033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Why would anyone think I'm speaking on God's behalf? Now in the title I state if I don't know the answer, I'll say it. If I truly had all the answers concerning Yahweh, I certainly wouldn't say "I don't know". Yet I highlighted myself because we all know there are differing opinions, and I wanted to keep things simple in that respect. This thread was more a response to another one I had. In that thread I received a lot of questions and scrutiny dealing with Yahweh specifically. So I created this thread for those questions.


So most of what I speak on deals with what I've studied in Scripture. And my thoughts are formulated around what is written. Perhaps I may say something that others haven't thought of before concerning Yahweh. Perhaps someone's questions will get me to think in ways I haven't thought of before. Give, take, take, and give.
Because you are preaching...day after day after day.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
9,829 posts, read 7,291,086 times
Reputation: 7795
A ‘God FAQ’ thread wasn’t really needed, since that resource already exists:

The Official God FAQ
 
Old 12-28-2023, 10:00 AM
 
2,478 posts, read 1,468,335 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because you are preaching...day after day after day.
You may consider everything is preaching.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 10:15 AM
 
29,563 posts, read 9,777,192 times
Reputation: 3476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Why would anyone think I'm speaking on God's behalf? Now in the title I state if I don't know the answer, I'll say it. If I truly had all the answers concerning Yahweh, I certainly wouldn't say "I don't know". Yet I highlighted myself because we all know there are differing opinions, and I wanted to keep things simple in that respect. This thread was more a response to another one I had. In that thread I received a lot of questions and scrutiny dealing with Yahweh specifically. So I created this thread for those questions.

So most of what I speak on deals with what I've studied in Scripture. And my thoughts are formulated around what is written. Perhaps I may say something that others haven't thought of before concerning Yahweh. Perhaps someone's questions will get me to think in ways I haven't thought of before. Give, take, take, and give.
If you have answers for God, how are you not speaking on God's behalf? You don't say you don't have any answers concerning Yahweh. You claim you have some of them. If you think you know what you do about Yahweh based on your study of scripture, then okay, but I'd say what you are trying to do here is answer questions about what scripture says. Not what Yahweh thinks or does or intends. There is a BIG difference. I suppose that difference has to do with your faith in how accurate scripture might be about the nature of what all believers might claim about God. Based on scripture or something else entirely.

But to play along, and I am sorry if my observations along these lines keeps you from what you want to do with this thread, here's another question for you.

How did Yahweh come to be?

I'm guessing this is one of the questions about Yahweh you will quickly admit you "don't know." Fair enough, since this is the same way I answer questions about how the universe came to be. I'm not sure why people are okay to claim ignorance as to how God came to be but can't seem to admit the same about the universe but leave that be for now. Basically, it becomes all the more clear that no one knows much about how all existence came to be. Which opens the door for all manner of speculation that you seem to be suggesting is more than just speculation far as what you know about Yahweh. So far I don't see much reason to think you are right about what you know and/or don't know.

Just being honest here, with ongoing hopes you will visit those other threads I suggested as it is now time for me to sign off from this forum again today. Perhaps if/when I return tomorrow.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
51,004 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Reputation: 33033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You may consider everything is preaching.
No. Just a few people like you...including one atheist on this forum.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 02:33 PM
 
7,410 posts, read 4,194,968 times
Reputation: 16885
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Absolutely -- if the church ever invented or discovered something useful and functional for humanity, it would argue for religious faith as an alternate way of finding things out vs. science. I am just not aware of a single patent that went to the church for anything, so ...
The Catholic Church funded universities and trained monks as scientists for a thousand years. The Big Bang Theology came from the Catholic Church. Gregor Mendel was a 19th-century Austrian monk remembered for his experiments with pea plants that led to the discovery of hereditary patterns of traits. Giuseppe Mercalli was a 19th-century Italian priest and seminary professor who studied volcanoes and created the Mercalli scale. Etc.

I doubt Heavenese (as a believer in the 6,000 year old earth) is a fan of the Catholic Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top