Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-28-2023, 03:09 PM
 
2,558 posts, read 1,491,406 times
Reputation: 489

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you have answers for God, how are you not speaking on God's behalf? You don't say you don't have any answers concerning Yahweh. You claim you have some of them. If you think you know what you do about Yahweh based on your study of scripture, then okay, but I'd say what you are trying to do here is answer questions about what scripture says. Not what Yahweh thinks or does or intends. There is a BIG difference. I suppose that difference has to do with your faith in how accurate scripture might be about the nature of what all believers might claim about God. Based on scripture or something else entirely.

But to play along, and I am sorry if my observations along these lines keeps you from what you want to do with this thread, here's another question for you.

How did Yahweh come to be?

I'm guessing this is one of the questions about Yahweh you will quickly admit you "don't know." Fair enough, since this is the same way I answer questions about how the universe came to be. I'm not sure why people are okay to claim ignorance as to how God came to be but can't seem to admit the same about the universe but leave that be for now. Basically, it becomes all the more clear that no one knows much about how all existence came to be. Which opens the door for all manner of speculation that you seem to be suggesting is more than just speculation far as what you know about Yahweh. So far I don't see much reason to think you are right about what you know and/or don't know.

Just being honest here, with ongoing hopes you will visit those other threads I suggested as it is now time for me to sign off from this forum again today. Perhaps if/when I return tomorrow.

Concerning your threads, can you give me specific links to them? I see one thread you have going concerning signs. I'm not sure if that is the one you had highlighting confirmation bias.


Ultimately I don't think anyone here would see the answers I give are from God Himself. (If one believes He exists) Again, this thread is a response to another one I had going. Yahweh wasn't the specific subject of that thread, but I got a lot of comments speaking directly to Him. So I made this thread. I don't believe I offended anyone with this. This should be a fun thread.


How did Yahweh come to be? I believe you already know my answer for that. Its in His name. He Is Who He Is. He has no beginning, and He is the beginning. He has no end, and He is the end. Logically speaking this makes sense by the way. If He is the originator of all existence, the basis should have an everlasting quality. Now concerning that quality, it would be impossible for it to be applied with the universe. Even our observations tell us the universe came into being, and one day there will be a Heat Death, where nothing will be able to exist as it is now. I would say if the universe was eternal (Or you might say reality itself), why did it change from being a singularity to the universe we see today? If the universe was eternal, it should have stayed a singularity. Or of course, there should at least be cycles of expansion back to a singularity.

 
Old 12-28-2023, 03:17 PM
 
2,558 posts, read 1,491,406 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
The Catholic Church funded universities and trained monks as scientists for a thousand years. The Big Bang Theology came from the Catholic Church. Gregor Mendel was a 19th-century Austrian monk remembered for his experiments with pea plants that led to the discovery of hereditary patterns of traits. Giuseppe Mercalli was a 19th-century Italian priest and seminary professor who studied volcanoes and created the Mercalli scale. Etc.

I doubt Heavenese (as a believer in the 6,000 year old earth) is a fan of the Catholic Church

I don't know how old the earth is. Though regardless, our observations will always contend with God's observations, whether we take Genesis literally or figuratively. It's our observations that are limited. I'm not much a fan of any denomination. I personally desire to free myself from men inspired traditions.
 
Old 12-28-2023, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
9,860 posts, read 7,314,334 times
Reputation: 7814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I don't know how old the earth is.
Yes, you do. It’s approximately 4.6 billion years old.

https://www.britannica.com/science/g...eologic-period
 
Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 AM
 
29,608 posts, read 9,822,537 times
Reputation: 3494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Concerning your threads, can you give me specific links to them? I see one thread you have going concerning signs. I'm not sure if that is the one you had highlighting confirmation bias.

Ultimately I don't think anyone here would see the answers I give are from God Himself. (If one believes He exists) Again, this thread is a response to another one I had going. Yahweh wasn't the specific subject of that thread, but I got a lot of comments speaking directly to Him. So I made this thread. I don't believe I offended anyone with this. This should be a fun thread.

How did Yahweh come to be? I believe you already know my answer for that. Its in His name. He Is Who He Is. He has no beginning, and He is the beginning. He has no end, and He is the end. Logically speaking this makes sense by the way. If He is the originator of all existence, the basis should have an everlasting quality. Now concerning that quality, it would be impossible for it to be applied with the universe. Even our observations tell us the universe came into being, and one day there will be a Heat Death, where nothing will be able to exist as it is now. I would say if the universe was eternal (Or you might say reality itself), why did it change from being a singularity to the universe we see today? If the universe was eternal, it should have stayed a singularity. Or of course, there should at least be cycles of expansion back to a singularity.
I very much appreciate your interest...

Ten Truths
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...en-truths.html

Confirmation Bias: The number 1 problem in America
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...m-america.html

My Cement Theory
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...nt-theory.html

I will also very much appreciate any comment you may wish to add to any or all of these discussions too.

Not sure how you figure what "makes sense logically speaking." Your explanation doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. To my way of thinking something that has no beginning and/or is the beginning requires a bit more/better explanation than "He is Who He Is." To my way of thinking, what we don't know or can't explain does NOT by definition mean the existence of a god. As I have explained too many times to count in this forum now, jumping to that sort of conclusion as a result of our (man's) ignorance has been proven a mistake over and over again over the course of human history.

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-29-2023 at 10:36 AM..
 
Old 12-29-2023, 09:22 AM
 
29,608 posts, read 9,822,537 times
Reputation: 3494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I don't know how old the earth is. Though regardless, our observations will always contend with God's observations, whether we take Genesis literally or figuratively. It's our observations that are limited. I'm not much a fan of any denomination. I personally desire to free myself from men inspired traditions.
Your comments don't very well reflect your desire along these lines...

From where do you think the term Yahweh comes from after all? Right there in the title of your thread.
 
Old 12-29-2023, 03:32 PM
 
2,558 posts, read 1,491,406 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I very much appreciate your interest...

Ten Truths
https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...en-truths.html

Confirmation Bias: The number 1 problem in America
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...m-america.html

My Cement Theory
https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...nt-theory.html

I will also very much appreciate any comment you may wish to add to any or all of these discussions too.

Not sure how you figure what "makes sense logically speaking." Your explanation doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. To my way of thinking something that has no beginning and/or is the beginning requires a bit more/better explanation than "He is Who He Is." To my way of thinking, what we don't know or can't explain does NOT by definition mean the existence of a god. As I have explained too many times to count in this forum now, jumping to that sort of conclusion as a result of our (man's) ignorance has been proven a mistake over and over again over the course of human history.

Yet ultimately, it cannot be applied to our universe. For instance, what happens once Heat Death occurs? Can something come from a dead universe? It's not even a matter of not knowing how things arose by processes, but our observations tell us the universe will cease to operate one day, and nothing will persist. And sure enough our observations tell us the universe had a beginning. There is no eternal quality about our universe, but logic demands something needs to be at the base of reality with an eternal quality/value.
(Now I myself don't accept the Big Bang or and eventual Heat Death)


I will speak to something in your Ten Truths thread later on. I'm going to do some more read up in that thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Your comments don't very well reflect your desire along these lines...

From where do you think the term Yahweh comes from after all? Right there in the title of your thread.

You might say if I reject men's traditions, why do I adhere to the Bible? If that is what you're wondering, I don't see Scripture particularly as men's traditions, but was certainly written by men. We are to interpret what is written, and its no different for me. Ultimately I read and make discernments, to see if something is coming from God, or if it is a man's tradition. (That is, something man wanted) The fruit of a thing will show which one it is.
 
Old 12-30-2023, 09:30 AM
 
29,608 posts, read 9,822,537 times
Reputation: 3494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Yet ultimately, it cannot be applied to our universe. For instance, what happens once Heat Death occurs? Can something come from a dead universe? It's not even a matter of not knowing how things arose by processes, but our observations tell us the universe will cease to operate one day, and nothing will persist. And sure enough our observations tell us the universe had a beginning. There is no eternal quality about our universe, but logic demands something needs to be at the base of reality with an eternal quality/value.
(Now I myself don't accept the Big Bang or and eventual Heat Death)

I will speak to something in your Ten Truths thread later on. I'm going to do some more read up in that thread.

You might say if I reject men's traditions, why do I adhere to the Bible? If that is what you're wondering, I don't see Scripture particularly as men's traditions, but was certainly written by men. We are to interpret what is written, and its no different for me. Ultimately I read and make discernments, to see if something is coming from God, or if it is a man's tradition. (That is, something man wanted) The fruit of a thing will show which one it is.
You seem to be referring to our known universe, that yes, is always in flux, but how it began and/or how it will end is hardly anything more than speculation given what information we have to work with today. Whatever happens, there will be what happens after that. However it began there is what was there before that. However it will change or end, there will be what follows. Nobody knows what will happen after the universe ceases to "operate" one day, but it stands to reason that something will happen after that. Right?

All of which doesn't seem to suggest the existence of a God in any case. More like an ever changing swirl of energy randomly spinning in one way or another that forms stars at some point. Getting extinguished at another. Along with all the rest that is constantly evolving in the cosmos. Rendering all of us on this spec of a planet utterly immaterial in the midst of it all. No more or less consequential than the dinosaurs were when they were here one day and gone the next.

How to make sense of all this?

Well many a man has written down his speculations that were at first passed along by word of mouth from one man to others. Then many more men put those speculations to paper and over time many a holy book was written by men for men to use as guidance. Not only on how to live their lives but how to treat women too. How you or any other women can put much faith in the validity of these writings by men, I really don't know, but if I were a woman, I would not.
 
Old 12-30-2023, 04:21 PM
 
10,096 posts, read 5,022,844 times
Reputation: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You seem to be referring to our known universe, that yes, is always in flux, but how it began and/or how it will end is hardly anything more than speculation given what information we have to work with today. Whatever happens, there will be what happens after that. However it began there is what was there before that. However it will change or end, there will be what follows. Nobody knows what will happen after the universe ceases to "operate" one day, but it stands to reason that something will happen after that. Right?............................................ ..
First of all, God did Not create the material realm for no reason - Isaiah 45:18
God created the Earth to abide forever - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B; Psalm 104:5
So, the universe will Not cease, it is more like we just do Not know how the universe will continue.
By the end of the thousand years mankind will know more then - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
 
Old 12-31-2023, 08:38 AM
 
2,558 posts, read 1,491,406 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You seem to be referring to our known universe, that yes, is always in flux, but how it began and/or how it will end is hardly anything more than speculation given what information we have to work with today. Whatever happens, there will be what happens after that. However it began there is what was there before that. However it will change or end, there will be what follows. Nobody knows what will happen after the universe ceases to "operate" one day, but it stands to reason that something will happen after that. Right?

All of which doesn't seem to suggest the existence of a God in any case. More like an ever changing swirl of energy randomly spinning in one way or another that forms stars at some point. Getting extinguished at another. Along with all the rest that is constantly evolving in the cosmos. Rendering all of us on this spec of a planet utterly immaterial in the midst of it all. No more or less consequential than the dinosaurs were when they were here one day and gone the next.

How to make sense of all this?

Well many a man has written down his speculations that were at first passed along by word of mouth from one man to others. Then many more men put those speculations to paper and over time many a holy book was written by men for men to use as guidance. Not only on how to live their lives but how to treat women too. How you or any other women can put much faith in the validity of these writings by men, I really don't know, but if I were a woman, I would not.

As far as our observation goes, it seems nothing will happen after the universe runs down. Just as we attribute the energy we have here on this earth to the sun, once that goes, life will cease to exist here. Not just life, but all processes. (Many speculate the earth may be swallowed up by the sun once it enters it's super giant phase) When the sun runs down, all processes in our solar system will cease. Once all the energy in the universe runs down, all processes throughout will cease. If anything should happen after that, something entirely new would have to be added into the mix. Something beyond our observation, and thus beyond science itself. That's no different than a "miracle".


If you ask of my opinion, when speaking to the deeper things of Scripture and faith, I believe its better understood from a woman's perspective. Again its just my opinion and by no means should be viewed this way as a rule of law. (And my opinion should further be taken with a grain of salt because I'm not a woman ) For instance, when God laid out the judgments after the fall of humanity, the only positive for humanity was God's prophecy of the Seed of the woman would crush the head of the enemy. It wasn't man's Seed, but woman's Seed. So through the woman, humanity has hope. Also, it was Eve who named all the sons of Adam mentioned in Scripture. Showing us traditionally it is the mother who names her children, speaking over them the direction of their lives.


In Scripture we are told concerning the Law of Moses, a man was obligated to fulfill any vow he promised to Yahweh. Even if he spoke a foolish and vain vow. How many of us know that a lot of crap proceed from our mouths on a daily basis? We say stuff we don't mean, and vanity flows like a river for some. Yet for the woman, there was a way she could get out of her vows. Now, that way can be viewed as patriarchal in that her father or husband would have to overide it, but the main thing is a woman could be free from her vow. This comes full circle when Jesus comes into the picture. Who is the Church in relation to Jesus? The Church is the Bride of Christ. Even in the OT, Israel was seen as one who was married to God through the Law. Scripture tells us any time Israel would go after foreign gods, it would be seen like a wife committing adultery and making her husband jealous. These are hard things for a man to accept because we're men. Yet I imagine if you're a woman, its easier seeing herself as Jesus' bride.
 
Old 12-31-2023, 09:17 AM
 
29,608 posts, read 9,822,537 times
Reputation: 3494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
First of all, God did Not create the material realm for no reason - Isaiah 45:18
God created the Earth to abide forever - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B; Psalm 104:5
So, the universe will Not cease, it is more like we just do Not know how the universe will continue.
By the end of the thousand years mankind will know more then - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
If you are going to start with "first of all," I have to first of all question the source, reliability and/or credibility of this information on which you pin your belief as to what will or will not happen, and again I believe you are referring to our known universe. The known universe in which we also know the earth was created about 4.5 billion years ago. Looking nothing like it does today. There is no good reason to think the earth won't come and go like so many other stars and planets in our solar system too. There is no reason to think the sun can burn as it does forever either. Of the many inevitable causes that will end the earth as we know it, once the sun uses up all it's fuel, so goes all of life dependent on that warmth and who knows what will happen once we are no longer tethered by the gravity that has the earth rotating around the sun.

Hey, but why let what we know get in the way of making stuff up about what we don't know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top