Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2024, 07:07 AM
 
2,411 posts, read 1,445,126 times
Reputation: 479

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Good thing for you that you weren't born in China or India then, eh?



Again, lucky for you then that you were born into the culture you were born into, and not one of the billions of atheist Chinese families. Since your religion (one of thousands) happens to be the truth of the universe.

Yahweh looks at the heart of a person. He knows what we know, and will judge us based on that knowledge as well. Don't get me wrong, as it is stated in the NT that Jesus is the only way for salvation. And that is God's grace. So for those who never heard of God's salvation while alive, they can still receive His grace. I don't know fully how Yahweh will judge them, but a major part will be were they gracious to others while alive? Did they live a life of mercy and forgiveness? If so, God will be merciful and gracious to them. Since we are all made in God's image, by loving others (even our enemies), we shown love for God. Yahweh will be gracious to them and they will receive Jesus in their hearts.


Yet if a person who did not know the Gospel, but lived a life full of condemnation, then they will receive God's condemnation. It's not karma, its the law of sowing and reaping. Karma says you get back what you dish out. Yet if you sow or plant a seed, you get back way more than a seed. If we judged and condemned others for the same stuff we've done, we will reap God's wrath. These are my thoughts from what I've read in Scripture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think what you're describing is called... biological life? Yes, we are alive, and the sun is not. In that sense, we're more than just physical objects. We have experience and consciousness.



We're smart and self-aware, therefore = supernatural magic? No, I don't agree with that. Humans are special animals for sure, but still, are animals. We're made of matter and energy, and a part of the universe like everything else. Our consciousness is complex, but still a natural phenomenon.



If the tech is not there already, we'll be getting there soon.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41593-023-01304-9



I'm not a neuroscientist, but the neuroscientists I've read all seem to agree that the data and research shows that our conscious thoughts start in the subconscious.

We're riding the horse. The horse goes where it goes.

If scientists manage to fully map out our thoughts, imaginations, and actions stemming from them, it would be something for me to consider. Of course I believe God sees our thoughts and know what's at the heart of our deeds and actions. But because we have the ability to reason, we can choose what thoughts we pay close attention to and adhere. So for instance if we have two thoughts that differ in action, I don't believe the fluctuation of chemicals in our brain chooses the action we end up doing. Its just that a properly functioning brain is apart of the tools we need to reason in this life.


Then there's the thought of an infinite amount of universes where every choice is made and all possibilities are fulfilled. If that is true, that would be the best evidence of us being a complete product of our universe. Yet if this is the only universe, then the brain is simply the tool we use in this universe to reason, and the choices we do make with a properly functioning brain, is the reality of "self's" existence. And it is unique from the make up of the universe.

 
Old 01-04-2024, 08:07 AM
 
18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Reputation: 7553
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Ask me anything about my God (Yahweh) - If I don't know the answer, I'll tell you


Why do Christians never tell you that Yahweh originally was a minor pagan god of metallurgy in the Canaanite religion and that he had a wife named Asherah. This is her from one of numerous artifacts from the Bronze Age:


So if Yahweh originally was a Canaanite god then Jesus' father is a pagan god which makes Jesus a pagan god, right?

So Heavenese, you said to ask you anything about your god. What happened. Did I scare you off?
 
Old 01-04-2024, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Reputation: 32918
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So Heavenese, you said to ask you anything about your god. What happened. Did I scare you off?
I found out yesterday that he only answers questions he likes. If he doesn't like someone's question he simply starts preaching something completely different.
 
Old 01-04-2024, 08:56 AM
 
2,411 posts, read 1,445,126 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So Heavenese, you said to ask you anything about your god. What happened. Did I scare you off?
Check my response on page 26, the one with many quotes. My answer should be in there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I found out yesterday that he only answers questions he likes. If he doesn't like someone's question he simply starts preaching something completely different.
 
Old 01-04-2024, 09:28 AM
 
18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Reputation: 7553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Check my response on page 26, the one with many quotes. My answer should be in there.





I assume you're referring to post # 258. In it you hint that "If Yahweh isn't real, then...."


But obviously you believe Yahweh is real. My question mainly goes to how Yahweh came about. The evidence shows that Yahweh was created in the Canaanite culture, not the Hebrew. If that's the case then the Canaanites would have been the real chosen people, not the Jews. Would that be a fair assumption?


Archeology/anthropology shows that originally the Jews were polytheistic and that they lived among the Canaanites in their early history. It's not a stretch to see how the Jews would have adopted many of the Canaanite gods, among them El, Asherah, and Baal who appear in the Old Testament. So it appears that Yahweh is not the one true God of the universe--that he was a manufactured god who was born out of the Canaanite religious rituals. So how does this affect Jesus' heritage? Doesn't Jesus become the son of a pagan god if his father, Yahweh originally was a pagan god?
 
Old 01-04-2024, 09:51 AM
 
2,411 posts, read 1,445,126 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I assume you're referring to post # 258. In it you hint that "If Yahweh isn't real, then...."


But obviously you believe Yahweh is real. My question mainly goes to how Yahweh came about. The evidence shows that Yahweh was created in the Canaanite culture, not the Hebrew. If that's the case then the Canaanites would have been the real chosen people, not the Jews. Would that be a fair assumption?


Archeology/anthropology shows that originally the Jews were polytheistic and that they lived among the Canaanites in their early history. It's not a stretch to see how the Jews would have adopted many of the Canaanite gods, among them El, Asherah, and Baal who appear in the Old Testament. So it appears that Yahweh is not the one true God of the universe--that he was a manufactured god who was born out of the Canaanite religious rituals. So how does this affect Jesus' heritage? Doesn't Jesus become the son of a pagan god if his father, Yahweh originally was a pagan god?

Archeology just shows Israel worshipped other gods in their past. Scripture tells us this is the history of Israel, only that it was in the light of idolatry. The experts say Scripture was redacted to fit what we see as the Bible today. If Jesus and His apostles believed the narrative of Scripture, then I accept what Jesus believes. If the Canaanites were right about Yahweh (and yes I believe Him), then it should have been their message that made it to our day. If Yahweh is real, then the message that made it to us is the correct one.


There is no conflict, but just like with all science, our observations are limited. The Canaanites were in the land before Abraham arrived (and thus Israel). In the Torah, Yahweh mentions how the Canaanites committed abominations before Him. So it is absolutely possible Yahweh had a connection through the Canaanites before they fell into idolatry, making Him a minor god. In the end, Yahweh gave the land to Israel as a possession. So my submission would be the Canaanites believed a lie. Israel also believed in other gods after they were brought into the land. Scientists just believe Scripture has been manipulated over time to fit the modern narrative. I disagree.
 
Old 01-04-2024, 10:31 AM
 
29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I found out yesterday that he only answers questions he likes. If he doesn't like someone's question he simply starts preaching something completely different.
Heavenese is a male?
 
Old 01-04-2024, 10:36 AM
 
2,411 posts, read 1,445,126 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Heavenese is a male?
I am.
 
Old 01-04-2024, 10:38 AM
 
63,788 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Reputation: 7869
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Heavenese is a male?
I don't think so, but it is not easy to know these days.
 
Old 01-04-2024, 10:43 AM
 
29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Reputation: 3468
As I have tried to read through and fairly consider so many of these comments posted since my last visit, I must admit I have a good deal of trouble accepting this rather deterministic notion about how we humans do not have free will. I'm not one to enjoy spending too much time splitting hairs about what is an illusion or whether something exists that I know or think exists, and I'm probably not qualified to jump into that fray, but there is an element of the unknown that keeps us from understanding how we do in fact have free will. Something like understanding the difference between all non-living things in the universe and all life that exists in the universe. What is predictable and what is not, and why.

Will a bear decide to attack when a bear encounters a human on a wilderness trail, or will the bear decided to avoid contact with the human? What is that other than free will, or how can that decision be explained by how the universe was set in motion billions of years ago? Of course all matter is forever interacting with other matter, and we are all a part of that whole, but this does not mean we don't have free will. Every morning I have the free will to visit this forum or not. Sometimes my free will is affected by my wife's free will. Sometimes not, and what might happen any given morning is somewhat predictable but at the same time not predictable.

Which ultimately leaves us with the quintessential question. "If a man says something in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Another question that also comes to mind is whether it is free will that has us decide whether pondering questions such as these is in any way productive. Interesting to a point, but my free will is causing me to believe there are better ways to spend my time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top