Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 09:51 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Not to a Buddhist.
Well I don’t know enough about Buddhism, but I’m sure you’re correct.
I’m not into the Christian exclusivity of religions , so other faiths can still have salvation - if they choose it.
Some other religions may make me squirm, like Scientology, but even then God is the decision maker on such matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 12:08 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I really do hate religion,and have for almost my whole life. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places, talked to people about religion, god, etc. and have found that no matter where I travelled people know there is only one god. I found there to be no debate about this subject, and it seems really stupid to have so many religions, when people can agree that everyone prays (hopes) to the one creator which people call god. Generator, Operator and Destroyer.
So much death, division and hate comes from differences that people have regarding their religion and christians especially think that their religion is the only one that counts. Wrong.

Many religious people, if they were born to another family in another country would most likely practice another religion as most people stay true to the religion of their parents.
Anyway, if there were no religion and people practiced being nice to one another without saying that our religion is better than yours, we would have a more peaceful world, but I'm sure that won't happen because people are brainwashed into thinking they are saved (?) so they can commit horrendous things and they have a get out of jail free card because they have a dusty scripture in their house somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now.
A lot of the world's problems are caused by:
Bad governments
Wicked people
Bad religion

That being said if there is bad religion then there is also "good" religion.

Houses of worship should be a refuge for people. Religion should be a way of life that shows love of neighbor and respect for those who do not follow your beliefs.
However, we can still respect people yet not compromise our beliefs in the process. To me that isn't saying my religion is better than yours. Rather, its about me committed to my personal spiritual journey and the religion I chose suits me best.
Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:33 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,267,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
A lot of the world's problems are caused by:
Bad governments
Wicked people
Bad religion

That being said if there is bad religion then there is also "good" religion.

Houses of worship should be a refuge for people. Religion should be a way of life that shows love of neighbor and respect for those who do not follow your beliefs.
However, we can still respect people yet not compromise our beliefs in the process. To me that isn't saying my religion is better than yours. Rather, its about me committed to my personal spiritual journey and the religion I chose suits me best.
Just my humble opinion.
If it’s about a “spiritual journey”, then what do you need religion, or beliefs for?

Old 12-29-2023, 04:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Anyway, if there were no religion and people practiced being nice to one another without saying that our religion is better than yours, we would have a more peaceful world, but I'm sure that won't happen because people are brainwashed into thinking they are saved (?) so they can commit horrendous things and they have a get out of jail free card because they have a dusty scripture in their house somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now.
At one time there was a world with no religion and that's why God drowned all the inhabitants except for Noah's family. God saw that the earth was corrupt and filled with violence, and he decided to destroy what he had created.

I mean a simple experiment is this when a boy age 7 to 15 and for Christmas is given a BB gun what do they do? They go out and shoot birds! The birds aren't targets, God didn't make them to be targets! But we go out and destroy them because we have a violent nature and without a moral base, we become animals.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:05 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
At one time there was a world with no religion and that's why God drowned all the inhabitants except for Noah's family. God saw that the earth was corrupt and filled with violence, and he decided to destroy what he had created.

God created the world and man (according to you folks). Poor quality control.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:33 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:

I mean a simple experiment is this when a boy age 7 to 15 and for Christmas is given a BB gun what do they do? They go out and shoot birds! The birds aren't targets, God didn't make them to be targets! But we go out and destroy them because we have a violent nature and without a moral base, we become animals.
Well, I am very glad that you are a religious person. Don’t let me (or anyone else) talk you out of it.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:19 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:

Noah’s Ark or the Great Flood have never been proven through archaeological or historical records.
It is storytelling and a fable.
Shooting birds is wrong I agree, but not some sort of moral compass or a reference to a predisposition towards violence.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well, I am very glad that you are a religious person. Don’t let me (or anyone else) talk you out of it.
Why should I listen to those who are ignorant?

Old 12-29-2023, 08:50 PM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Why should I listen to those who are ignorant?
Odd, in another thread today you said, "A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone..."

Hmmmmm. Maybe you're a little bit too disgusted.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Odd, in another thread today you said, "A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone..."

Hmmmmm. Maybe you're a little bit too disgusted.
Have I quarreled with you, or are you hurt by my response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality