Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 06:48 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That would just happen to be the religion you believe in, right? Thought so.
By the same token, don’t you think you’re right about religion/God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 06:53 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
By the same token, don’t you think you’re right about religion/God?
I believe I'm right not to afford belief to the unsubstantiatable, but I don't claim it is binding on anyone but myself, either. And I don't claim it is the one true (un)belief. That is the difference. All I do in this space is present the arguments in favor of my views ... that is not what this poster was doing.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:01 AM

8,165 posts, read 6,916,037 times
Being honest with frustration towards religion, and venting it out is good for the soul, imho. It's the sign of a person who questions. Keep questioning, keep seeking. Anyone who is annoyed at this... well, why does it annoy you? What are you afraid of? The questioning? Well, then do your own questioning. Or maybe you feel trapped and not able to question your own beliefs. That is what religion will do to a person, and part of the reason for the vent in the first place.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:10 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with listening and being present and supportive. Sometimes people need to get things off their chest.
So the virtual Napkin it is because the OP is a fellow Atheist?

Old 12-17-2023, 08:19 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
I believe I'm right not to afford belief to the unsubstantiatable, but I don't claim it is binding on anyone but myself, either. And I don't claim it is the one true (un)belief. That is the difference. All I do in this space is present the arguments in favor of my views ... that is not what this poster was doing.
So, hljc may be right.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:29 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
Religion would be cool if we would all just accept it for what it is- a bunch of cool and interesting mythology. Not, like, real.

The problem is religious people, who still exist for some reason in the 21st century age of information. That's what I hate. Religious people and their infuriating extreme arrogance combined with ignorance. "My explanations need no evidence" "My beliefs need no evidence" "I have all the answers to all of the universe everything because somebody wrote something down once and I choose to interpret it x way" "I'm going to Heaven and other people are going to Hell" "Human beings are born 'sinful'" "All I ever do is cherry pick text" "I have it right and people should believe what I believe, even though there are thousands of religions", etc. The most egotistical, clueless, hypocritical people.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:50 AM

8,165 posts, read 6,916,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Religion would be cool if we would all just accept it for what it is- a bunch of cool and interesting mythology. Not, like, real.

The problem is religious people, who still exist for some reason in the 21st century age of information. That's what I hate. Religious people and their infuriating extreme arrogance combined with ignorance. "My explanations need no evidence" "My beliefs need no evidence" "I have all the answers to all of the universe everything because somebody wrote something down once and I choose to interpret it x way" "I'm going to Heaven and other people are going to Hell" "Human beings are born 'sinful'" "All I ever do is cherry pick text" "I have it right and people should believe what I believe, even though there are thousands of religions", etc. The most egotistical, clueless, hypocritical people.
Well, some (not all) atheists are quite religious in their views as well, and also fall under the category of "The most egotistical, clueless, hypocritical people". Some of the most hardcore atheists should pair up with some of the most fundamental religious people and go bowling. They'd probably get along pretty well.

It's why I like agnostics. Open minded but suspicious:

If you come to a belief, and view the world and life through that one lens and you then proceed to throw the other lenses on the floor and crush them under your heel, then you're not really doing yourself any favors. Keep the other lenses around and look through them every now and again. With additional mind thoughts and life experiences, you may end up seeing something you didn't see before. This goes for the atheist, the religious, whatever. Agnostics keep the lenses around, it seems. It either bolsters what you currently believe, or helps you shed some things and takes you into different directions you hadn't thought of before.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:04 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

It's why I like agnostics. Open minded but suspicious:

What I don't like about agnostics -- at least those who sort of brag about being one -- is that at some point one ought to take the evidence, pro and con, and make a decision about what is most logical to believe.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:09 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I really do hate religion,and have for almost my whole life. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places, talked to people about religion, god, etc. and have found that no matter where I travelled people know there is only one god. I found there to be no debate about this subject, and it seems really stupid to have so many religions, when people can agree that everyone prays (hopes) to the one creator which people call god. Generator, Operator and Destroyer.
So much death, division and hate comes from differences that people have regarding their religion and christians especially think that their religion is the only one that counts. Wrong.

Many religious people, if they were born to another family in another country would most likely practice another religion as most people stay true to the religion of their parents.
Anyway, if there were no religion and people practiced being nice to one another without saying that our religion is better than yours, we would have a more peaceful world, but I'm sure that won't happen because people are brainwashed into thinking they are saved (?) so they can commit horrendous things and they have a get out of jail free card because they have a dusty scripture in their house somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now.
John Lennon felt the same way you did. So did the Marxists. And we got Stalin and Pol Pot and Mao Tse Tung.

Look at the history of what happened in the monotheistic era that preceded Christianity if you think people would be better and nicer without religion.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:12 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

How about atheists who despise those who don't agree with their "superior" knowledge.

Being an atheist requires a leap of faith. Its just that many of you refuse to acknowledge it.
How did we get here? The universe just all popped into existence? Maybe you believe that, but that is a leap of faith into something you have no way of knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality