Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

My particular faith (aka a religion) works for me so I keep that faith. I don't try to enforce others to keep that faith - that's between them and their Maker. I've got my hands full keeping myself straight - LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 09:43 AM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My particular faith (aka a religion) works for me so I keep that faith. I don't try to enforce others to keep that faith - that's between them and their Maker. I've got my hands full keeping myself straight - LOL.
Sounds reasonable.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:59 AM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
The (hypothetical) hypocrisy of an atheist is independent of atheism, whereas the hypocrisy of a religious believer derives from the commitment to upholding the ethical standards their given sect claims to stand for. Although the Bible condones much barbarism, modern-day religions generally at least pay lip service to nonviolence and potentially even pacifism (Islam excepted)
Well I can't possibly be a hypocrite as to atheism itself except in one way: to for some reason secretly harbor a belief in even one god -- since that is literally 100% of what "atheist" means.

However as an atheist I might be a humanist, and could be hypocritical regarding stated humanist values and shibboleths. I might be an antinatalist, yet subsequently sire children. I might belong to a non-theistic or god-optional religion (Buddhism, Taoism, Satanic Temple) and only pretend to follow those beliefs.

Hypocrisy isn't the sole province of theists by any means. It is just easier to be genuine, the less external cruft you align with that you aren't 100% committed to -- it is also easier the more logically consistent and supportable your beliefs are.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Sounds reasonable.
Kathryn has a long track record of being one of the more reasonable posters on this site.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:44 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's not healthy to "hate" anything. But that tends to be the lowest-level of response often to matters that people don't understand and don't want to understand.

Sure, as with many aspects of life, there are broken elements with groups and institutions, including religions. You could dislike or hate nearly anything if you choose to find negative information and not go beyond that.

Religion is a blessing to many. That includes people who keep their beliefs to themselves, and try to live in peace with others who are different. If one doesn't like it, that's great. Live your freedoms and liberties.

America used to be more about a "glass half-full" outlook, but currently we live in a gripy, complainy, "glass half-empty" yuck mode. But even that is a freedom, so we have to accept it and rise above it.
Tolerance (with the agape love of God and each other) of the vicissitudes of this life born of our human ignorance and flaws ("sins") is our task. Jesus revealed and demonstrated it PERFECTLY even to the point of torture and physical death because physical death is NOT the end. That was the point of His attempts to explain being "born again" as Spirit to Nicodemus.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:01 AM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:
Not sure what religion you are, but Christians are instructed to “Go ye therefore…”

Old 12-19-2023, 11:20 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Not sure what religion you are, but Christians are instructed to “Go ye therefore…”
Now does this "going ye therefore" require door knocking or not?

Old 12-19-2023, 11:38 AM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
s I n, it's the I, me, Daily prayer,.... Forgive us our (my) debts as we forgive our debtors.. It all goes back to Adam and Eve.

For me, it's Relationship Not religion. My fellow believer reminded me of Hebrews 10:25, Let us not give up meeting together...... Church is to worship my Lord corporately. Not about the people,. The Word of GOD is preached only from the Bible.

Horn of '83 is correct, as a follower of Christ, I am commanded to spread the good news (Gospel) Matthew 28:16.

Prayers, peace for all.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:12 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Along the same lines, I can open an OP with the title, "I hate Atheism" and write a little rant without asking any question or requesting the members to discuss a thought or an idea.

I still don't understand what's the point of OP? You hate religion? OK, and?

Old 12-19-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Thank you!

Along the same lines, I can open an OP with the title, "I hate Atheism" and write a little rant without asking any question or requesting the members to discuss a thought or an idea.

I still don't understand what's the point of OP? You hate religion? OK, and?
They were just venting. I don't have a problem with that. Implicitly, they wanted some commiseration I suppose. There's nothing wrong with that, either. I think their objective was met ... some people, both theist and atheist, shared the sentiment ... there was some discussion around it. What's not to like?

The equivalent would indeed be to post an "I hate atheism" thread, at least in this forum ... it would probably not get much validation in the A&A forum, if that's what you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality