Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 07:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,283,729 times

Advertisements

I really do hate religion,and have for almost my whole life. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places, talked to people about religion, god, etc. and have found that no matter where I travelled people know there is only one god. I found there to be no debate about this subject, and it seems really stupid to have so many religions, when people can agree that everyone prays (hopes) to the one creator which people call god. Generator, Operator and Destroyer.
So much death, division and hate comes from differences that people have regarding their religion and christians especially think that their religion is the only one that counts. Wrong.

Many religious people, if they were born to another family in another country would most likely practice another religion as most people stay true to the religion of their parents.
Anyway, if there were no religion and people practiced being nice to one another without saying that our religion is better than yours, we would have a more peaceful world, but I'm sure that won't happen because people are brainwashed into thinking they are saved (?) so they can commit horrendous things and they have a get out of jail free card because they have a dusty scripture in their house somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 08:07 PM

3,739 posts, read 2,947,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I really do hate religion,and have for almost my whole life. I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places, talked to people about religion, god, etc. and have found that no matter where I travelled people know there is only one god. I found there to be no debate about this subject, and it seems really stupid to have so many religions, when people can agree that everyone prays (hopes) to the one creator which people call god. Generator, Operator and Destroyer.
So much death, division and hate comes from differences that people have regarding their religion and christians especially think that their religion is the only one that counts. Wrong.

Many religious people, if they were born to another family in another country would most likely practice another religion as most people stay true to the religion of their parents.
Anyway, if there were no religion and people practiced being nice to one another without saying that our religion is better than yours, we would have a more peaceful world, but I'm sure that won't happen because people are brainwashed into thinking they are saved (?) so they can commit horrendous things and they have a get out of jail free card because they have a dusty scripture in their house somewhere.

Okay, I feel better now.
Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and your sentiments are certainly by no means unusual.
Religion is often what you are born into, there’s no doubt about that.
Not being part of any religion is a free choice anyone can make, in a free country.
Criminals using a holy book to get out of jail?
Well it usually doesn’t work in a secular society.
The definition of being “saved” also varies between Christian and religious groups.
But people are entitled to live in hope I suppose, and hope that their God forgives them for their sins on earth.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:19 PM

19,716 posts, read 13,262,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
But people are entitled to live in hope I suppose, and hope that their God forgives them for their sins on earth.
It is a fool's hope. Sin is an invented problem and no one needs saving. Anyone can live authentically without pretending to be something they aren't. Anyone can choose empathy and kindness and learn to develop both. There are noble and saintly unbelievers and horrible awful believers. And of course the inverse.

People are certainly entitled to buy into narratives of their unworthiness and wretchedness and then find comfort and relief from what they have bought into by hoping for God's forgiveness. But it sure is a roundabout way to serenity if you ask me.

For the benefit of the pearl clutchers out there, I'm not claiming that people never do anything harmful that they ought to stop doing. I'm claiming that there's not some divine law giver judging them for falling short. Their own conscience judges them because of their nature as hyper social creatures and as a result of whatever empathy they possess. The solution is to learn from mistakes, and be and do better.

And contrary to another learned helplessness, yes, people CAN do that for themselves and help others to help themselves. In fact that is all that is actually happening in god's name anyway. If imagining god being involved helps you make better choices, knock yourself out and let him take the credit for your own efforts, if that floats your boat. It's all good, so long as you can allow others to imagine god differently or to dispense with him altogether.

Old 12-16-2023, 10:26 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,046,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I really do hate religion,...
and who gives a flying flock?

Old 12-17-2023, 12:05 AM

50,119 posts, read 23,785,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
and who gives a flying flock?
Sorta...but then again who really cares about your posts...or my posts...or anyone's posts on here. He's stating an opinion. You state opinions on here multiple times a day. We all do.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:14 AM

16,578 posts, read 4,861,278 times
I like religion. The different stories / myths, the different practices, that they form communities, that they can help people. Not so bad for an alleged anti-theist.

It is fundamentalism I do not like.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:24 AM

9,662 posts, read 9,918,144 times
I hate false religion, the only religion that I love is the religion where the Holy Spirit is held up with Jesus and the Lord

Old 12-17-2023, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I hate false religion, the only religion that I love is the religion wear the Holy Spirit is held up with Jesus and the Lord
That would just happen to be the religion you believe in, right? Thought so.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:20 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,046,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sorta...but then again who really cares about your posts...or my posts...or anyone's posts on here. He's stating an opinion. You state opinions on here multiple times a day. We all do.
Nope
The OP should have a question or a request to discuss an idea or a thought.
Here we have a personal rant for an OP - what are we supposed to do? Provide him with a virtual napkin?

Old 12-17-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Nope
The OP should have a question or a request to discuss an idea or a thought.
Here we have a personal rant for an OP - what are we supposed to do? Provide him with a virtual napkin?
There's nothing wrong with listening and being present and supportive. Sometimes people need to get things off their chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality