Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should NY force highway Chic Fil A's to remain open?
Yes, travelers need all options on Sundays 5 16.67%
No, Chic Fil A has freedoms 23 76.67%
Undecided 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 12:39 PM

43,187 posts, read 18,342,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Chick fil-A = overpriced and overrated.

Food that appeals to children at a grown up price.

If I want a chicken sandwich, an equally good or better one can be had at nearly every other fast food restaurant these days without having to wait in a drive-thru line that's wrapped around the store 3x.

People go on about how CFA is such a great company to work for. Maybe it is at the corporate level, but I worked at a CFA restaurant for a short time while I was in college, and color me unimpressed. Easily the worst job I ever had, and the ownership and management were terrible, condescending jerks.
All FF places are like that. Probably because turnover rate is 147%....

Old 12-26-2023, 01:22 PM

6,081 posts, read 2,866,948 times
This condescending and entitled congressman is trying to force his opinions on others. No one is entitled to a Chick-Fil-A sandwich. Therefore, it should be up to Chick-Fil-A's discretion as to when to open, unless there was a predetermined set of hours of which both parties agreed on.

Also, is he trying to suggest that there isn't any other fast food restaurant that isn't serving fried chicken? Because, if so, I highly doubt that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
The news article says the founder of the company opposed gay marriage so many people don't like him, which is not okay of him, but two wrongs don't make a right.
Mr. Cathy, the founder of Chick-Fil-A, held his opinion against same-sex marriage and his opinion in support of closing his restaurants on Sunday for the same reason. His faith in Christianity. In today's world, where many Christians tend to disregard some aspects of His word in order to better adapt to what man has decided is right, I find that quite honorable.

As a Christian, I do not support same-sex marriage, because it defiles the intent of marriage set up by God, himself. Now, I don't hate gay people. I just don't agree with their lifestyle choice. Just like I don't agree with a lot of other choices people make with their lives.

Old 12-26-2023, 01:57 PM

17,819 posts, read 13,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
This condescending and entitled congressman is trying to force his opinions on others. No one is entitled to a Chick-Fil-A sandwich. Therefore, it should be up to Chick-Fil-A's discretion as to when to open, unless there was a predetermined set of hours of which both parties agreed on.

Also, is he trying to suggest that there isn't any other fast food restaurant that isn't serving fried chicken? Because, if so, I highly doubt that's the case.
the NY Thruway system is a "closed" system so to speak. So there are a limited number of options at the various rest stops.

From the looks of it the state has already booted McDonalds from the Thruway in the last year or so.

Here is a link that shows what restaurants and convenience stores are available.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers...azas/index.cgi

It looks like there are Popeye's in the places where there aren't Chik Fil A's as a general rule. So you are correct in that there is another chicken option.

Old 12-26-2023, 01:58 PM

11,123 posts, read 7,188,359 times
If the government is so eager to have junk food options 24/7 in situation like that, they can build their own additional restaurant facility. They already knew CFA isn't open on Sundays, and should respect that business model, as capitalism and the free-market directs such freedoms. Their behavior here seems heavy-handled and beyond what they should be allowed to control. The burden is on them to fix the situation to their demands.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-26-2023 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-26-2023, 02:41 PM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If the government is so eager to have junk food options 24/7 in situation like that, they can build their own additional restaurant facility. They already knew CFA isn't open on Sundays, and should respect that business model, as capitalism and the free-market directs such freedoms. Their behavior here seems heavy-handled and beyond what they should be allowed to control. The burden is on them to fix the situation to their demands.
Not the way the world works. The state has the concession rights to sell with whatever conditions they decide. As pointed out elsewhere, these changes are not retroactive anyway, so it's a tempest in a teapot. I imagine that at some point CFA's lease comes up for renewal and this might come into play at that time; if so, they have plenty of time to plan to pull out in favor of some other "godless" chicken chain that can meet the conditions. If CFA in that situation expected the state to not guarantee travelers services on Sundays, THAT is what would be heavy-handed and presumptuous.

Old 12-26-2023, 02:58 PM

11,123 posts, read 7,188,359 times
^ Whatever. It's still crappy "food", and a non-issue to me. Others can fight over it all they want.

Old 12-26-2023, 08:46 PM

6,799 posts, read 2,920,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Mr. Cathy, the founder of Chick-Fil-A, held his opinion against same-sex marriage and his opinion in support of closing his restaurants on Sunday for the same reason. His faith in Christianity. In today's world, where many Christians tend to disregard some aspects of His word in order to better adapt to what man has decided is right, I find that quite honorable.
If Mr. Cathy was that scripturally honorable, he would be closing his restaurants between sunset Friday and sunset Saturday. Sunday is not a holy day. Mr. Cathy is also scripturally inept on the gay marriage issue although he is entitled to his opinion.

Not intending to derail ...just a quick one-off response to this post.

Old 12-26-2023, 09:58 PM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
If Mr. Cathy was that scripturally honorable, he would be closing his restaurants between sunset Friday and sunset Saturday. Sunday is not a holy day. Mr. Cathy is also scripturally inept on the gay marriage issue although he is entitled to his opinion.

Not intending to derail ...just a quick one-off response to this post.
In all fairness, he gets to interpret his religion as he wishes.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:17 PM

6,799 posts, read 2,920,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In all fairness, he gets to interpret his religion as he wishes.
In all fairness it seems like we all do.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:33 PM

50,903 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
In all fairness it seems like we all do.
yes...although not saying all the interpretations are valid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.