Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should NY force highway Chic Fil A's to remain open?
Yes, travelers need all options on Sundays 5 16.67%
No, Chic Fil A has freedoms 23 76.67%
Undecided 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 12:08 PM

13,369 posts, read 7,676,438 times

Advertisements

Took my daughter into town today to run some errands and grab lunch.

Take a guess where she requested to eat!

The things we do for our children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 02:24 PM

19,727 posts, read 13,268,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Took my daughter into town today to run some errands and grab lunch.

Take a guess where she requested to eat!

The things we do for our children
The things, indeed. Oh Daddy, PRETTY PLEASE??

Old 12-27-2023, 06:53 PM

7,123 posts, read 3,947,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
https://apnews.com/article/new-york-...a31429bf66184b

If Chic-Fil-A pays the required rent, who cares? I think its a 1st Amendment Freedom of Religion that a private business has the right to close on Sundays for family and or worship time. I'd imagine that their employees love having a consistent day off every week whether for religion or the NFL football games.

I'm just really dismayed and disappointed that a politician would think its okay to infringe upon a private's business practice of offering time off for family and or worship. I'm a vegetarian so I don't even use them.

The news article says the founder of the company opposed gay marriage so many people don't like him, which is not okay of him, but two wrongs don't make a right.
I must have traveled between New York to Virginia a dozen times during the pandemic. There were closed fast foods/stores in every service station (in NY, NJ, Delaware, Maryland). There are still closed fast food restaurants at service stations. (Yes, NJ's Walt Whitman & : James Fenimore Cooper Service - I'm talking about you two. Where one of the two fast food restaurants is always closed and there is a 50/50 chance Starbucks is closed too.).

Anyway, the best fast food restaurant is Prett A Manager. And, the Mass Pike wins over every NY single service station!

Bergen County, NJ still has blue laws. Regardless of religion, it's nice to have everything closed one day a week.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:48 PM

6,611 posts, read 2,808,101 times
Not that this has got anything to do with the thread topic, but it might be worth a mention since Chic-Fil-A appears to be so popular elsewhere ...there is, to my knowledge, NO Chic-Fil-A here in Australia. We seem to have all the other fast-food chains, i.e., McDonalds, KFC, etc. etc. but not Chic-Fil-A. What are we missing?

Old 12-27-2023, 08:23 PM

50,143 posts, read 23,799,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Not that this has got anything to do with the thread topic, but it might be worth a mention since Chic-Fil-A appears to be so popular elsewhere ...there is, to my knowledge, NO Chic-Fil-A here in Australia. We seem to have all the other fast-food chains, i.e., McDonalds, KFC, etc. etc. but not Chic-Fil-A. What are we missing?
To be honest, I do think Chik has the best fast food. In fact, it's the only fast food I will buy now, unless I'm sorta stuck while traveling.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:39 PM

8,331 posts, read 4,573,586 times
Undecided because of the following reasons:

1. CFA sucks. It’s bland and lacks taste, and I’ve no sympathy for CFA fans or CFA itself for making a business decision to be closed on Sundays.
2. I allegedly work on the toll road. I of course don’t speak in an official capacity. The toll road bureaucracy sucks.
3. Toll roads shouldn’t exist if we have fuel taxes. Especially when it’s signed as an interstate. Grandfathered or not, that should instantly be illegal to carry tolls on an interstate routing.
4. It doesn’t affect current contracts.
5. Don’t trust NY state gub’ment
6. People in NYS are too conditioned to accept authority
7. There’s an awful lot of threads about this.
8. I don’t and won’t drive toll roads of any kind out of principle, but my understanding is that there’s other vendors who are open on Sundays. Applegreen c-stores are open 24/7 and also have limited hot food options, and hot tip: you can request other items which aren’t on the roller grill or in the pizza heater.

Old 12-27-2023, 11:49 PM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I must have traveled between New York to Virginia a dozen times during the pandemic. There were closed fast foods/stores in every service station (in NY, NJ, Delaware, Maryland). There are still closed fast food restaurants at service stations. (Yes, NJ's Walt Whitman & : James Fenimore Cooper Service - I'm talking about you two. Where one of the two fast food restaurants is always closed and there is a 50/50 chance Starbucks is closed too.).

Anyway, the best fast food restaurant is Prett A Manager. And, the Mass Pike wins over every NY single service station!

Bergen County, NJ still has blue laws. Regardless of religion, it's nice to have everything closed one day a week.
I used to like Pret A Mange when I went to the city, but since COVID their prices are outright offensive. Tuna with cucumber slices on a baguette--$14.

But if we are going to judge fast food for being Christlike, Pret donates all their unsold food for the day to the rmfood rescue organization City Harvest, so since I am not paying for that sandwich, a poor person can eat it for free. Doing my part!

Old 12-28-2023, 08:42 AM
Status: "Without God, life is tragic and absurd." (set 25 days ago)

20,362 posts, read 12,642,197 times
Quote:
Drive-thru genius!

Old 12-28-2023, 08:52 AM

13,369 posts, read 7,676,438 times
Quote:
Not a thing.

Chick fil-A was a regional restaurant in the US for years that was mostly confined to the South. Their aggressive expansion into northern and western states is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Popeye's chicken sandwich is far better, IMO.

Back when I was working at CFA ~20 years ago, the chicken sandwich combo was $5.45 if I remember correctly. It was over $9 when I went yesterday. But the good news is that the drive-thru line was only wrapped around the restaurant two times and not three. We dined inside anyway. Seriously, that place has a cult-like following. It's bizarre and completely unjustified. Though I will say the service is always prompt and polite.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:16 AM

19,727 posts, read 13,268,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Seriously, that place has a cult-like following. It's bizarre and completely unjustified. Though I will say the service is always prompt and polite.
In-And-Out Burger has, or at least had, a similar cult following, which I never understood. I saw them as just okay sliders, maybe a notch above in terms of ingredient quality but nothing THAT special. It causes me to suspect that most people are bored and seek any sort of novelty, however trivial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality